Page 2 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

krankes_hirn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2014, 1:16 am

The whole point of separate changing rooms is to protect intimacy from people who might find you sexually desirable, since actually some people find it disturbing that other people around them might get aroused or fantasize about them. It is more of a cultural thing, but everybody is entitled to privacy.

I belonged to some sort of drama club once, and sometimes we performed under less than ideal circumstances. That means, that among other things, guys and girls shared changing rooms at times. And nobody made a fuss out of it. Because the sirturbing nature of being watched is a completely subjective experience and by no means is a measurable degree fo sexual harassment (If it may even be called by that)

IMHO the most practical solutions seems to be coed showers with private comparments or cubicules. That way anybody can keep his/her privacy without any form of discrimination having to take place.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 2:35 am

krankes_hirn wrote:
The whole point of separate changing rooms is to protect intimacy from people who might find you sexually desirable, since actually some people find it disturbing that other people around them might get aroused or fantasize about them. It is more of a cultural thing, but everybody is entitled to privacy.

I belonged to some sort of drama club once, and sometimes we performed under less than ideal circumstances. That means, that among other things, guys and girls shared changing rooms at times. And nobody made a fuss out of it. Because the sirturbing nature of being watched is a completely subjective experience and by no means is a measurable degree fo sexual harassment (If it may even be called by that)

IMHO the most practical solutions seems to be coed showers with private comparments or cubicules. That way anybody can keep his/her privacy without any form of discrimination having to take place.

I personally don't care if they look at me and get sexually aroused. If they do, more power to them so long as they stay away, of course. What I don't like is them knowing what I look like without my clothes because it is none of their business. I really hate the idea of them talking to others about what I look like without my clothes because I hate it when people spend all their time yapping about others in a stupid way and I hate for them to know everything about me I want to keep some parts for myself and only the ones I choose to let see no one else and especially not people I don't like.
See, I'm real persnickety about stuff like this and I have phobias and nightmares. I demand to have things my way and that means no showers unless I feel totally comfortable about it. Luckily, I've never been in situation where they insisted I take one.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:57 am

Wow that article is ridiculous, but yeah since its Rush Limbaugh he probably actually does think that way and isn't just joking...But yeah so essentially he believes if one is attracted to someone else they will sexually assault them. Because we all know people typically have no self control whatsoever and will immediately lose all respect for anyone they find attractive and try to rape them. :roll:

I wonder if I was in a locker room shower if the other females would think I am a lesbian because my arm-pits aren't shaved and my legs are not clean shaven :lol: . I honestly don't really care if someone sees me naked in a locker room shower, its really only awkward if the other person/people finds it awkward. But I digress there should be an option everyone is comfortable with....like maybe private shower stalls for people who are uncomfortable about it with still having the group shower set up since there are people who could care less about being seen taking a shower.

Or maybe nudity shouldn't be so sexualized in society.

goggles99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2014, 2:43 am

Robdemanc wrote:
I don't know if this is funny or serious...

It is a ridiculous point being made that gay athletes should not share the same shower as their team mates. What do these people want? Do you think gay athletes should stay in the closet? Or perhaps gay athletes should get their own personal locker rooms and showers?

What about bi sexuals? Should they have their own locker rooms too? Or because they are not completely gay or straight perhaps they can use the male of female locker rooms.

You don't seem to be using much logic here (Actually I suspect that you are just gay yourself, and are pushing an agenda).

You should post the exact thing here but substitute gay for male in a women's shower. This is saying the same thing essentially since gay males are attracted to other males and straight males are attracted to females.

Let me give it a try:

"It is a ridiculous point being made that male athletes should not share the same shower as their co-ed (female) team mates. What do these women want? Do you think male athletes should shower in the closet? Or perhaps different gender athletes should get their own personal locker rooms and showers?"

Seem laughable? well you are pushing the same pseudo logic.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:13 am

goggles99 wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
I don't know if this is funny or serious...

It is a ridiculous point being made that gay athletes should not share the same shower as their team mates. What do these people want? Do you think gay athletes should stay in the closet? Or perhaps gay athletes should get their own personal locker rooms and showers?

What about bi sexuals? Should they have their own locker rooms too? Or because they are not completely gay or straight perhaps they can use the male of female locker rooms.

You don't seem to be using much logic here (Actually I suspect that you are just gay yourself, and are pushing an agenda).

You should post the exact thing here but substitute gay for male in a women's shower. This is saying the same thing essentially since gay males are attracted to other males and straight males are attracted to females.

Let me give it a try:

"It is a ridiculous point being made that male athletes should not share the same shower as their co-ed (female) team mates. What do these women want? Do you think male athletes should shower in the closet? Or perhaps different gender athletes should get their own personal locker rooms and showers?"

Seem laughable? well you are pushing the same pseudo logic.

I see no real reason why unisex showers would not be appropriate. Our issues with that have been drummed into us since childhood.

And what kind of "agenda" could I be pushing here? You sound paranoid and repressed.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:14 am

The obvious solution is to have individual shower cubicles, each unisex, large enough for people to go in fully dressed, shower and put on a change of clothing in privacy. This is how most holiday / camping sites are in France. It assumes there is adequate space though as this solution takes up a little more space to handle the same number of people, but not significantly so.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:01 am

Robdemanc wrote:
And what kind of "agenda" could I be pushing here? You sound paranoid and repressed.

What about him seems repressed to you?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:22 am

I reject all attempts to conflate nudity and sexuality.

ETA: Apparently, Poe's Law works the other way, too. Fundamentalism is indistinguishable from an advanced satire of fundamentalism.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:30 am

Wish I could . . . maybe it's because I never had any brothers, but I was totally uncomfortable in co-ed showers. Flight response. 'Course, I barely find it bearable to shower with women too. So maybe it's just me. And then the whole gender angle - for various reasons someone could find someone else sexually arousing. Cubicles are the way to go.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

I was an only child so that may have something to do with my aversion to shower with anyone around me.I think if someone had sisters or brothers they would be used to getting in the tub or shower naked when they were little.I hated having to change in the dressing room for PE.My old fashioned mother had me wear girl's undershirts under my clothes when I was little,and when I got changed the first time it was apparent that no other girls moms had them wear these.I was a laughingstock.I hated PE with a passion.I got a doctor's note later to be excused from it in that grade,thank goodness.I just set on the bleachers and read,but the kids still made fun of me.They called me Pinocchio,I guess because I always had my nose stuck in a book.
Middle school was horrid,the bullies were the worst ever.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

Misslizard wrote:
Middle school was horrid,the bullies were the worst ever.

I've never been keen on sharing showers with others (except my wife but that's different :P ) In the school changing rooms there were some boys going into puberty faster than others or who had bigger genitals and they used to "show off" their manhood by deliberately standing drying themselves facing everyone and taking ages to dry themselves as much as to say "Hey look what I've got, its bigger than yours!". Where as the rest of the boys who were not pubescent or who had smaller genitals used to dry themselves facing the wall and got dressed as quickly as possible. I don't think it was a healthy environment.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

People have been repressed on the issue of nudity. I see no need for segmenting groups. For those who would rather not shower with others then there should be the choice to shower privately in a cubicle. But arguing that males and females shouldn't shower together if they don't mind it is pushing repression on others.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm

But aren't you pushing nudism on others?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:16 pm

babybird wrote:
They should have a gay shower. They could call it a gower.

There's probably plenty of go-ers in the gower!

(Gower is also a mountain in South Wales.)

I think I would rather have clean gays than smelly gays, so I can't support this initiative. ;)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:30 pm

All this is, is Rush Limbaugh doing what he does best. --Being a demagogue.

Under his idea, what would be the recourse if one of the guys in the 'gay shower' was being sexually harassed by another? --None at all, because with gay people such behavior is to be expected.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:37 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

People have been repressed on the issue of nudity. I see no need for segmenting groups. For those who would rather not shower with others then there should be the choice to shower privately in a cubicle. But arguing that males and females shouldn't shower together if they don't mind it is pushing repression on others.

Repressed? I don't normally see women just flinging off their clothes just because they see me. Maybe I have to do it first, does that work better?

Seriously, not everyone is a nudist.