Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:34 am

Polish priest Father Slawomir Kostrzewa claims those brightly coloured interlocking little bricks are actually agents of an evil darkness that is trying to destroy the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... k-of-satan

I really like Lego.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:01 am

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:02 am

There is even a bible illustrated by lego bricks: http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:20 am

If I'd have heard that in the ten minutes of excruciating pain after having knelt on a block, I might have believed him.

But no. Lego's great. If I'd have known how pricey it would become (was it always thus?), I would have kept hold of my big box of the stuff.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:44 am

no but this is

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm

There's a group here in the US the Duggars belong to that are convinced the same thing. I can't recall their name. I saw it once at that website Duggars Without Pity. They are a homeschooling Christian group and when parents join, they make them throw out all their kids toys and Disney dvds because they are demonic and Satanic. A lot of adults who grew up in it have accused them of spiritual abuse. I tried to Google it because I forgot what they are called but I didn't have any luck.
The organization also insists women always smile and be happy in the presence of their husbands because it's a woman's duty to always be radiant for her husband.
So, I've heard of this before, just not from Catholics.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

Unfortunately they are from here.There was a big stink when a sign went up that said "Spray and Nueter your pets or they breed like Duggars."

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Unfortunately they are from here.There was a big stink when a sign went up that said "Spray and Nueter your pets or they breed like Duggars."

Not this particular group, the Duggars are just affiliated with them but they are in Chicago or one of those midwestern states. Duggars send Duggar girls to the conference for women and I think Ma Duggar also attends them.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:08 pm

Since the devil doesnt exist I would say no.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm

You can't get more wholesome than Legos!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:59 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Not this particular group, the Duggars are just affiliated with them but they are in Chicago or one of those midwestern states. Duggars send Duggar girls to the conference for women and I think Ma Duggar also attends them.

I should have been clearer,I meant the Duggar family not the religious group.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm

babybird wrote:
Polish priest Father Slawomir Kostrzewa claims those brightly coloured interlocking little bricks are actually agents of an evil darkness that is trying to destroy the world.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... k-of-satan

I really like Lego.

Lego is a plastic toy. That man is a superstitious dolt.

Bob Kolker

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1HarNoCnUg[/youtube]
His mask is the best part!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:13 am

This hare brained priest should be worried about the influence of X-box on children, and not about toys that get kids away from the computer like Legos. He's about two centuries behind the times.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
This hare brained priest should be worried about the influence of X-box on children, and not about toys that get kids away from the computer like Legos. He's about two centuries behind the times.

Really the whole notion that interactive play, especially interactive play that involves playing out activities like violence, is detrimental to producing healthy people couldn't be further from the truth. Games and the many variations of them that people play is actually one of the biggest subjects between archeologists and anthropologists who work a lot together. War games in particular have been played literally since the time of archaic homo sapiens (and by that I mean humanity before homo sapiens sapiens, when subspecies like neanderthal, cro magnon, and java man roamed the earth). In fact war games were one of the earliest indications we have found of actual culture, predating music (music being the second oldest main piece of cultural tradition after games). And that's really saying something because in some of our earliest neanderthal digs around france we have found fully functional flutes! Another even more pointed fact when it comes to this particular subject is that in all reality Jesus and every other famous Jew in the bible played games for that matter. Levitical priests cast lots, casting lots being an activity similar to throwing dice where you used sticks, to determine priestly duties and also to gamble chores, money, and all kinds of other things. Jesus would have grown up playing kick-ball, playing with dolls (yes dolls were quite common), throwing lots, and playing rudimentary board games that poor folk most often made from readily available materials as they couldn't afford games made by craftsman like the rich could (they sometimes even made board games from dung patties, hahahahaha).

So it's pretty much the height of silliness for any christian to look down on games and toys. Games and toys have actually been vital to the development of human culture as it is and toys happen to develop a child's tactile senses, hearing, and even general cognitive capacity. Not playing with your child can actually stunt the child's development, which is why parents have been playing with their children since the dawn of cultured humanity. It is an easy and interactive way to interest the child and participate in mental development, especially motor functions and several forms of cognitive discernment.

So: legos are the work of god and they shape minds. The absolute opposite of this crazy garbage believed by folks like the Duggars. It seems to me that that kind of upraising would make one dimwitted, unimaginative, foul tempered, and limited in potential. Toys aren't just a bad diversion that is granted to kids. Imaginative play can be critical to success in adulthood. Poor living conditions and this kind of dour upraising actually made the dark ages the stunted period that it was, Europe got into a rut that it couldn't get out of because most folk were Duggars (mind you not exactly by choice). There was barely any literature, few inventions, bleak living circumstances in general, and life was dominated by fear and superstition. All thanks to no toys.