Page 1 of 9 [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 3:51 am

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/ar ... ut-sb-1062

Hope the link works. A representative from Arizona Center on Policy interviewed on CNN, when asked whether this law would permit businesses to discriminate legally literally choked on her own tongue trying to spit syllables out in avoidance of answering the question. When a politician begins spitting syllables faster than a cat trying to spit up a hairball it is a pretty reliable indicator that a deception tactic is being employed. For a spokesperson for a law supposedly based on religious freedom is so openly dishonest and deceptive with the public I have to question that individuals spiritual integrity. Is not there a commandment in the Christian faith which gives instruction on Gods view of dishonesty? I believe it is viewed as an act of sinfulness. Lying+sinfulness= hypocrisy.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 3:58 am

If it is about "religious freedom" as they say, then can Muslims deny Christian patrons ?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 4:04 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
If it is about "religious freedom" as they say, then can Muslims deny Christian patrons ?

I want to go there, open a business and discriminate against stupid inbred Tea Troller politicians for being religiously clueless, based on my Atheistic beliefs.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 4:23 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

I am guessing so, but even if the bill became law, (a) it would likely be struck down by the courts, and (b) 99.999999999999999% of businesses likely wouldn't take advantage of the law anyway.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 4:35 am

WhWhat Red Guy?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 5:45 am

This sort of bigotry in the civil realm is unprecedented in this day and age. I don't think even racists during desegregation in the 60's tried to pull a disgusting stunt like this.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 10:06 am

Why should businesses be forced to serve people they don't want to? They ought to be free to choose who they serve, and people ought to be free to not provide them with custom in response.

See what happens when the state interferes in the free market?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

So, businesses should have the right to refuse service to blacks? If anything, the end result of denying businesses that right in fact proved beneficial to society, especially to the south. There, since the end of segregation, businesses that had formerly avoided the south because of their racial discrimination have opened shop there, leading to modernization and higher standard of living for all. And let's not forget, equality is not just a matter of being able to vote or hold office, but to be able to eat or shop where ever the hell you like. This aberration of a law in Arizona would only serve to make LGBT Americans second class citizens in the public eye, just as Jim Crow laws had done to blacks in segregation days.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 6:38 pm

It's funny how states in the US that are culturally and religiously "homogenous" like Arizona breed individuals with serious hatred for non-christians, those practicing contraception/abortion, blacks, gays and transgender folks. Any wonder that Arizona refused to recognize Martin Luther King Day and why the William's sisters refuse to play tennis in that state. Plenty of wealthy folks in Arizona, they are not redneck hillbillies.

Therefore this story does not surprise me one bit.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm

While cultural conservatives may not believe gays can be Christians, I personally know people in the LGBT community who consider themselves to be.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 7:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
So, businesses should have the right to refuse service to blacks?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: businesses should have the right to refuse service to *anyone*, for *whatever reason* they decide, because it is *their* property. Now, if they have a contract already - say, a gay couple have already hired a double bedroom, and the contract did not stipulate that only married heterosexuals can share a room - they are obliged to follow through on the contract they have previously made. But they shouldn't be made to make more contracts like that.

Or do you want people to not be able to speak their mind freely, if they are "bigots", because free speech only extends to approved speech?

But then, how will we know who to avoid?

As Evelyn Beatrice Hall said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

Magneto wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Long answer: businesses should have the right to refuse service to *anyone*, for *whatever reason* they decide, because it is *their* property. Now, if they have a contract already - say, a gay couple have already hired a double bedroom, and the contract did not stipulate that only married heterosexuals can share a room - they are obliged to follow through on the contract they have previously made. But they shouldn't be made to make more contracts like that.

Or do you want people to not be able to speak their mind freely, if they are "bigots", because free speech only extends to approved speech?

I believe it was a federal law about fifty years ago that made discrimination like this illegal. IF there were not already a federal law in place there would be no need for this state law to be introduced. This a subversive effort to sidestep federal law by using ambiguous language and the lady in the interview knows it. The whole of the Conservative state legislature knows this is a violation of civil rights, thus all the word dancing. I don't know how the Tea Party politicians keep representing themselves as standard bearers of religious and Christian morality when thye so commonly indulge in these acts of deception and incivility.

As Evelyn Beatrice Hall said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 8:49 pm

Magneto wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That would become quite the problem...especially in areas where there aren't a lot of businesses. I mean come on a grocery store(for instance) refusing service because someone is homosexual? What good does them having that right do? Also what if its the only grocery store in the area?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

Magneto wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Short answer: yes."

We have nightclubs in Melbourne that reserve the right to turn away patrons on the basis of whether they are overwieght, the way they dress or the way they look. A few folks in wheelchairs have taken a few to court but the bouncers use the argument that it was not the wheelchairs but how they were dressed. It's borderline discrimination but so far these clubs have not been successfully sued or closed down because they can successfully argue they have a dress/appearance code (whatever that is).

If, however, you are in the service industry or retail and you refuse to serve somebody because they are black, gay or disabled you can and will be facing court and will be out of pocket paying compensation to the person you turned away.

I worked with an Asian guy and he told me that when legislation made it illegal in Australia to not serve him the shop assistants would still serve him last or ignore him until he got their attention. Your use of the freedom of speech as a crutch for this issue is self-evidently lame.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

Magneto wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What of the customers rights? Do the rights of the owners trump theirs?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 12:13 am

how could any businessman be so stupid as to turn down money from paying customers? money is colorblind and asexual. :scratch: