Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

How has the devil's nectar affected your life?

Do you want it restricted?

Do want it less restricted?

Explain.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:02 am

Never drank it.

I'm fine with the current Manitoba system of Liquor Control Commissions selling booze.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 3:56 am

I generally love alcohol a little too much - - that is, until I'm worshiping at the porcelain throne.
As for any restrictions - while I see a need to regulate alcohol consumption in regard to age, or when operating a motor vehicle, I think adults should be be able to drink whatever they see fit.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 6:03 am

I love it, even though it causes so many problems.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:11 am

I used to enjoy a pint or two of beer in my younger days; nowadays an occasional glass of red wine is nice, but I can't have more than a small glass nowadays due to being diabetic.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:21 am

I like to have a drink once a week but I make sure I've had plenty of food before hand because I don't really like getting drunk.

The one thing about alcohol that I don't get is why people's personalities change when they are drunk.

Like when I went on our works party, people who have never even acknowledged me before, were all of a sudden in love with me. :?

How f****n' fake!

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:32 am

To much of anything is not good for you, while a little may be just what the doctor ordered.

Abuse is not that of the object in question, but that of how your treating your own body with it. you may not over indulge with one or more substances but if its being detrimental to your body then its still an abuse.

My biggest problems with it is that I am fine when drinking it, then someone comes along that has a problem with it because of their own insecurities, which makes my own enjoyment of it tainted with feeling defensive about it. while otherwise I am happy and get along fine with others.

My biggest advice, if your going to drink, keep it at home, never drive intoxicated, if you go to a bar just have one or two.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:42 am

appletheclown wrote:
How has the devil's nectar affected your life?

I was 31 when I discovered my beyond-all-control, out-of-control or "alcoholic" drinking was killing me, but even back then I knew alcohol was not the problem. Most drinkers can always choose exactly how much they will drink and then stop at that amount, but the fact that I could not do that had to do with some abnormal body chemistry, I later learned, and not with alcohol. Then secondary to that is the matter of why someone who cannot drink safely still keeps trying to do so, and neither is that the fault of alcohol. Rather, I was the one who was foolishly turning to it for something it could not truly provide.

appletheclown wrote:
Do you want it restricted?

Do want it less restricted?

Explain.

Juveniles should not be allowed to have it any sooner than such as when they have become mature adults and are allowed to carry guns, for example, and it makes sense that society should govern the actions of people who drink. However, there is no legislation that has ever even come close to keeping people from destroying their own lives while living in the illusion of intoxication and practicing their individual right to do that.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:56 am

Like anything else in the world, alcohol can easily be abused; people do so all the time. Unfortunately, politicians just add more laws instead of directly fixing the situation, not realizing that criminals don't care about the law. Its the same crap they pull with guns, but that's another discussion.

I've been drunk exactly once in my life, and it was so horrible I'm never going back. I was never a heavy drinker, but after 13 years I still remember that nightmare. My stomach hurt so bad, and I was sweating like a sauna in November. I can't drink alcohol now because of my medication, but I doubt I'd pick up a bottle again otherwise. Too many I know have become addicted to that garbage, and I'd rather keep what brain cells I have left.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:45 am

I enjoy alcohol. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I'm not a huge fan of Jägermeister, but I've been craving it like crazy as of late. I've been suffering through an ugly head cold, and that whole licorice/brandy-esque blend would have been nice for temporary relief.

I quit drinking when my wife was pregnant with our youngest child. Later on I quit drinking coffee and eventually did a 40-day fast. My wife had been prone to drinking more than either of us thought appropriate. We do drink occasionally now, but it's extremely rare. Usually it's some kind of special occasion, like a birthday, anniversary, or some such. My wife was robbed at gunpoint recently, and I saw fit to split a bottle of her favorite white zin that night. SOMETIMES we'll get some hard cider, but we almost never drink anymore. Compared to how we USED to be, we look like teetotalers!

And to be honest, we don't really miss it that much.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:07 am

Wine gladdens the heart of man. (in limited quantities, of course).

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

AngelRho wrote:
I enjoy alcohol. There's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I'm not a huge fan of Jägermeister, but I've been craving it like crazy as of late. I've been suffering through an ugly head cold, and that whole licorice/brandy-esque blend would have been nice for temporary relief.

I quit drinking when my wife was pregnant with our youngest child. Later on I quit drinking coffee and eventually did a 40-day fast. My wife had been prone to drinking more than either of us thought appropriate. We do drink occasionally now, but it's extremely rare. Usually it's some kind of special occasion, like a birthday, anniversary, or some such. My wife was robbed at gunpoint recently, and I saw fit to split a bottle of her favorite white zin that night. SOMETIMES we'll get some hard cider, but we almost never drink anymore. Compared to how we USED to be, we look like teetotalers!

And to be honest, we don't really miss it that much.

Is your wife all right? That must have been truly a terrifying experience.
As for coffee - while I admit to occasionally abusing alcohol, I am most assuredly a caffeine addict - a caffiend if you will. :lol:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

I love a good IPA with a steak or some barbecue. And, I've been known to drink a 30 pack of PBR in a single session when I had nothing better to do... :wink:

In spite of that, I haven't been really drunk since my mid 30's. I generally avoid hard liquor. And, I don't drink a lot of beer these days due to health reasons.

Interestingly, I learned while taking a class on Addiction/Treatment that a drug I was taking for nerve pain is actually used off label to treat alcohol withdrawal/cravings.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 152626.htm

It never stopped me from drinking beer, :twisted:

As far as how alcohol is regulated, I think we have it about right. Ideally, we should keep it away from all children, but that is never gonna happen.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

Alcohol is unpredictable for me. Sometimes it will make me nice and sleepy and I'll sleep but other times it hypes me up and I end up drinking loads and feel sick the next day.

It is the only drug that is socially acceptable and it goes beyond that because people encourage each other with it - "What you having? My round." "Have another" "have a bit more wine" "lets all drink to that"

I can't imagine anyone encouraging others to shoot up some smack or snort more coke (unless you're a banker maybe)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2014, 4:02 pm

Personally, I don't like it. I don't like drinking it myself, and I don't like drunk people.

I wouldn't ban it, there'd be no point for one and I think it would be wrong regardless, but I would like a minimum unit price that would make it harder for students to get dangerously drunk, so I guess I'm in the "more restrictions" camp.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

I love it it goes great with food calms me down when under great deals of stress and diffuses my meldowns! I dont like are angry drunks Im a happy drunk I dont get why some people who get drunk get violent and angry, isnt getting drunk supposed to make you calm and feel good? :roll:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList