1 in 4 Americans Believe the Sun Revolves Around the Earth

Page 3 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Why all this controversy over science? I kinda like science but in some ways I don't. What I dislike is anything that views itself as infallible because I really think humans can only have partial awareness at all times and cannot see the entire picture. So, what you learn in school is pretty much just a facsimile of reality anyway, as experienced through human CNS and sensory organs, along with human reasoning skills. But what does it really mean?

So I only have slightly more faith in Science as I do other disciplines but more in science than I do what's in the Bible. In other words, I am a confirmed doubter.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

1 in 4 Americans read the bible and think that science is the devil and that we were made out of dirt and ribs.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

luanqibazao wrote:
Janissy wrote:
So I reserve judgement on the terrible knowledge base of Americans- and even more so of Europeans!-until after seeing the methodology. It may be that what they picked up was that a lot of people are very careless and answer too quickly before parsing the question properly.

Agreed. There's also the prankster factor: teenagers in particular, when given an anonymous poll, are known to pick the funniest answer rather than the one they honestly believe to be true. And we get the shocker headlines that 40% of high school seniors think a Barack Obama is a kind of mackerel.

I googled around some more and found the website of the people who did this. It has tables and sample questions.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/i ... 7/c7s2.htm

Quote:
Factual knowledge of science is strongly related to people’s level of formal schooling and the number of science and mathematics courses completed. For example, those who had not completed high school answered 45% of the nine questions correctly, and those who had completed a bachelor’s degree answered 78% of the questions correctly. The average percentage correct rose to 83% among those who had taken three or more science and mathematics courses in college (figure 7-7). Respondents aged 65 or older are less likely than younger Americans to answer the factual science questions correctly (appendix table 7-8). Younger generations have had more formal education, on average, than Americans coming into adulthood some 50 years ago; these long-term societal changes make it difficult to know whether the association between age and factual knowledge is due primarily to aging processes, cohort differences in education, or other factors. Analyses of surveys conducted between 1979 and 2006 concluded that public understanding of science has increased over time and by generation, even after controlling for formal education levels (Losh 2010, 2012).

This rules out pranking. The oldest people answered incorrectly at a higher rate than the younger people, and the younger people are the ones most likely to answer wrong on purpose "for the lulz".

The wording of the key question was:

"Does the Earth go around the sun or does the sun go around the earth?"

Would there be parsing errors with this question? There might be. If it is multiple choice and you have to check the correct box, the nearly identical wording could make it possible to check the wrong box if you were careless. It is worth noting that 83% of Americans correctly answered that the continents have moved in the past and this movement continues. I find it implausible that more people would know about continental drift than know about earth going around the sun. It just doesn't add up. I stronly suspect that many of the wrong responders actually do know and it is an artifact of wording.

I'd be interested to see what the results would be if people were shown a picture of the sun going around the earth and a picture of the earth going around the sun and asked to pick the correct picture. I suspect that a lot more people would get it correct (nearly all, probably).

In another section of the website the researchers did give examples of how the responses to various questions changed when they tinkered with the wording.
bolding mine
I
Quote:
n 2012, respondents were much more likely to answer both questions correctly if the questions were framed as being about scientific theories or ideas rather than about natural world facts. For evolution, 48% of Americans answered “true” when presented with the statement that human beings evolved from earlier species with no preface, whereas 72% of those who received the preface said “true,” a 24 percentage point difference.[14] These results replicate the pattern from 2004, when the percentage answering “true” went from 42% to 74%, a 32 percentage point difference (NSB 2008). For the big bang question, the pattern was very similar: in 2012, 39% of Americans answered “true” when presented with the statement about the origin of the universe without the preface, whereas 60% of those who heard the statement with the preface answered “true.” This represents a 21 percentage point difference. The 2004 experiment found that including the preface increased the percentage who answered correctly from 33% to 62%, a 29 percentage point difference (NSB 2008). Residents of other countries have been more likely than Americans to answer “true” to the evolution question.[15]

That is a pretty huge difference just based on wording. So maybe what they are uncovering is the way people process information rather than scientific literacy.

Last edited by Janissy on 05 Mar 2014, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 6:19 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
1 in 4 Americans read the bible and think that science is the devil and that we were made out of dirt and ribs.

Yep because in the Bible it says knowledge is evil and of the devil. Adam became conscious of his humanity when he took the apple from Eve and bit it. If Eve had any sense she would have just eaten it all herself hehe.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 7:43 pm

LKL wrote:
Science is not a democracy. If you want your children to be taught science, then let the scientists decide what belongs in the science classroom; if you don't want your children to be taught science, then keep them out of public schools because the public has an interest in most of our children being scientifically literate.

If "the public" funds the classroom, "the public" decides what may/may not be taught. If "the public" supports science, then "the public" will trust science to place appropriate content in the textbooks.

I don't think it's necessarily "science," whatever that means, that's the enemy, though. The problem I think religious people have is HOW the material is presented. "Based on evidence X, we believe Y" is not the same as "X=Y." When a teacher says, "X=Y and THEREFORE no God," the teacher has moved from a purely empirical position to a theological position. Or, more likely, "X=Y, therefore the Bible is WRONG." It's not up to "science" to decide that. What religious people are worried about is the tendency for some certain "bright people" to overreach beyond the arena of pure science into the religious arena. To say the Bible is wrong about X is different from saying "evidence shows X, therefore Biblical fact Y cannot be true in sense Z, therefore passage W must mean something else."

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

It looks like that survey was answered by a bunch of Tea Party Conservatives.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 7:54 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
Under Obama, NASA has been given a new mandate: “to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and engineering — science, math and engineering.”
That is no joke.

No, but it is ridiculously cherrypicked. Obama gave them three "new" mandates:
1) as above
2) increase international co-operation in the sector,
3) inspire children to take up science and maths

Points 1) and 2) are to help us get to the moon. Increased international co-operation is necessary to achieve it, and perhaps we can use some of the money than oil-rich Muslim states keep pouring into skyscrapers.

Point 3), I think, completely debunks the whole thrust of your argument.

From what propaganda board did you get this list of "Obama Mandates?" Because I guarantee you that is not a direct quote from Obama but rather a distortion and "interpretation" od something attributed to Obama. You see, anti-Obama types are not real big when it comes to the whole integrity/honesty issue.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... ervatives/

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 7:54 pm

My avatar is Raven stealing the sun; it's one of the many myths of humanity stealing wisdom and knowledge from the god(s), very similar to the story of Prometheus. Eve is more along the lines of Pandora. A slightly different version is Anansi, who took knowledge from his friends and neighbors rather than from the god(s), and only shared it after a personal revelation. What the stories all share is that knowledge and wisdom are not the birthright of humans, but had to be actively taken and shared.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

LKL wrote:
My avatar is Raven stealing the sun; it's one of the many myths of humanity stealing wisdom and knowledge from the god(s), very similar to the story of Prometheus. Eve is more along the lines of Pandora. A slightly different version is Anansi, who took knowledge from his friends and neighbors rather than from the god(s), and only shared it after a personal revelation. What the stories all share is that knowledge and wisdom are not the birthright of humans, but had to be actively taken and shared.

I can understand why they reach that conclusion and I have noticed the same only I don't attribute it to stealing or borrowing knowledge from gods.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 8:07 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The American public may be less scientifically literate than in other developed countries, but it isn't really the average person that matters when it comes to space programs or even technological breakthroughs, it's the smartest few. American universities are still the best in the world, along with Britain.

Yes, any country could always do with more scientists, engineers, and innovators, but America isn't particularly lacking.

Is that why the U.S. is in the top three for patents issued?

ruveyn

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 8:30 pm

AngelRho wrote:
LKL wrote:
Science is not a democracy. If you want your children to be taught science, then let the scientists decide what belongs in the science classroom; if you don't want your children to be taught science, then keep them out of public schools because the public has an interest in most of our children being scientifically literate.

If "the public" funds the classroom, "the public" decides what may/may not be taught. If "the public" supports science, then "the public" will trust science to place appropriate content in the textbooks.

I don't think it's necessarily "science," whatever that means, that's the enemy, though. The problem I think religious people have is HOW the material is presented. "Based on evidence X, we believe Y" is not the same as "X=Y." When a teacher says, "X=Y and THEREFORE no God," the teacher has moved from a purely empirical position to a theological position. Or, more likely, "X=Y, therefore the Bible is WRONG." It's not up to "science" to decide that. What religious people are worried about is the tendency for some certain "bright people" to overreach beyond the arena of pure science into the religious arena. To say the Bible is wrong about X is different from saying "evidence shows X, therefore Biblical fact Y cannot be true in sense Z, therefore passage W must mean something else."

"The public" largely thinks that astrology is real science and that the government is concealing space aliens in Area 51. Do you want to take a vote about whether those should be taught in science and government classes, respectively?

You're right that it is not the place of a science teacher to say, 'there is no god,' or that 'the bible is wrong,' but it definitely isn't 'the public's' place to decide what is, or is not, appropriate for a science class.
http://controversy.wearscience.com

Last edited by LKL on 05 Mar 2014, 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 8:31 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
LKL wrote:

I can understand why they reach that conclusion and I have noticed the same only I don't attribute it to stealing or borrowing knowledge from gods.

I don't either - I just like the metaphor.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 8:38 pm

khaoz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
Under Obama, NASA has been given a new mandate: “to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and engineering — science, math and engineering.”
That is no joke.

No, but it is ridiculously cherrypicked. Obama gave them three "new" mandates:
1) as above
2) increase international co-operation in the sector,
3) inspire children to take up science and maths

Points 1) and 2) are to help us get to the moon. Increased international co-operation is necessary to achieve it, and perhaps we can use some of the money than oil-rich Muslim states keep pouring into skyscrapers.

Point 3), I think, completely debunks the whole thrust of your argument.

From what propaganda board did you get this list of "Obama Mandates?" Because I guarantee you that is not a direct quote from Obama but rather a distortion and "interpretation" od something attributed to Obama. You see, anti-Obama types are not real big when it comes to the whole integrity/honesty issue.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... ervatives/

Your initial response does not reflect the complete quotation, but rather only the part of it pertaining to Muslims, which seems an insidious and dishonest way to attack Obama unfairly. The complete quote, in proper context, is a completely different string of syllables than what you initially implied.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 9:09 pm

Hilarious article. Here's another:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-t ... he-us-stat

Unfortunately I can't FTA quote, as it's a very visual gag at our (British) expense. I actually cried laughing.

Lighten up everybody, stupidity is universal.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
LKL wrote:

"The public" largely thinks that astrology is real science and that the government is concealing space aliens in Area 51. Do you want to take a vote about whether those should be taught in science and government classes, respectively?

You're right that it is not the place of a science teacher to say, 'there is no god,' or that 'the bible is wrong,' but it definitely isn't 'the public's' place to decide what is, or is not, appropriate for a science class.

If ""the public" votes, pays taxes, and has kids in school then that makes them right, in a sense, even if they're dead wrong. I'll take the risk of "the public" in some places being wrong than to remove "the public" in general's voice on education.

I can't help but wonder where those 1 in 4 people that believe the sun orbits the earth live. I've visited several backward places in this country and even lived in one or two but I have yet to hear nonsense like that being spouted. Maybe I just haven't gone far enough back into the hills yet. We seem to be holding our own in science and technology in the world. We invent it and the rest of the world uses it so we dumb Americans must be doing something right.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 9:37 pm

Raptor wrote:
LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
LKL wrote:

If ""the public" votes, pays taxes, and has kids in school then that makes them right, in a sense, even if they're dead wrong. I'll take the risk of "the public" in some places being wrong than to remove "the public" in general's voice on education.

I can't help but wonder where those 1 in 4 people that believe the sun orbits the earth live. I've visited several backward places in this country and even lived in one or two but I have yet to hear nonsense like that being spouted. Maybe I just haven't gone far enough back into the hills yet. We seem to be holding our own in science and technology in the world. We invent it and the rest of the world uses it so we dumb Americans must be doing something right.

We seem to be holding our own in science and technology in the world. We invent it and the rest of the world uses it so we dumb Americans must be doing something right.
Ever stop to think how many of the things we "dumb Americans" are doing right," are being done by people who are first or second generation immigrants living in America who may or may not be US citizens? Or are significantly involved in the teamwork process that generally facilitates the things we "dumb Americans" are achieving?