Trans people still banned from serving in U.S. military

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:01 pm

In the U.K. and Canada, trans people may serve. IMO, if it works for the U.K. and Canada, then it would work for the U.S. Any attempt to argue against this would therefore be a pretext covering up the real reason: Bigotry.

This ban has put the U.S. far down on the global index for LGBT inclusion in the armed forces.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f ... s#comments

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:15 pm

Hmmmm.............I'll have tor remember to tack this on to all of my posts in debates.

Quote:
Any attempt to argue against this would therefore be a pretext covering up the real reason: __________

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
Hmmmm.............I'll have tor remember to tack this on to all of my posts in debates.

Quote:
Any attempt to argue against this would therefore be a pretext covering up the real reason: __________

Try it. See what happens. I use it only when it's called for, such as here.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

beneficii wrote:
In the U.K. and Canada, trans people may serve. IMO, if it works for the U.K. and Canada, then it would work for the U.S. Any attempt to argue against this would therefore be a pretext covering up the real reason: Bigotry.

This ban has put the U.S. far down on the global index for LGBT inclusion in the armed forces.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f ... s#comments

Maybe bigotry is an essential ingredient of a soldiers utility. Instilling too many liberal notions in them might make them unwilling to kill on command.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:57 pm

Well, not all that long ago, it was illegal for gays to serve in the military. A long time ago, white and black servicemen had to be segregated. Times will change, and anyone wishing to serve his or her country - depending if they meet the physical and mental requirements- will have that right.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

the military does not take the mentally ill

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 8:53 pm

chris5000 wrote:

Riiiiiiight.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm

beneficii wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:

Try it. See what happens. I use it only when it's called for, such as here.

1. Only went it's called for? Your trans threads are important to you but others start threads that are important to them.

2. This is PPR. If your intent wasn't to start a debate then you should have started this thread in the LGBT forum or another one.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

Stannis wrote:
chris5000 wrote:

Riiiiiiight.

They do not have the resources or time to thoroughly screen everyone for everything. Even if they did it would be far from a guarantee.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Feb 2014, 9:51 pm

Gender dysphoria is a mental illness and probably shouldn't be allowed into the US military. They don't let people with AS or and a host of other mental and physical problems into the military as well. They want you sound of mind and body to serve.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Gender dysphoria is a mental illness and probably shouldn't be allowed into the US military. They don't let people with AS or and a host of other mental and physical problems into the military as well. They want you sound of mind and body to serve.

Autism no,

Aspergers....well I'm fairly sure at least a couple of generals had it.

PS Bradley Manning is a great example of a person who's sexual identify was a symptom of serious mental illness.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Add to that the fact that transgendered people seem to rely on a strict hormonal therapy and compare that to the need of diabetics for their insulin injections and people with AIDS for their AZT cocktails, and it become more evident why transgendered people are being disallowed in the military.

Besides, noting the last times that the U.K. or Canada won a war all by themselves would seem to indicate that their militaries aren't all that formidable to begin with.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:56 pm

I hadn't thought of the need for the hormones.But they don't have to be in the front,there are plenty of military jobs where someone would never see active combat.If they want to serve,I don't see why not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I hadn't thought of the need for the hormones.But they don't have to be in the front,there are plenty of military jobs where someone would never see active combat.If they want to serve,I don't see why not.

Again, the need for hormone therapy and the on-going psychological counseling would preclude even rear-echelon duty.

People get medically discharged when they develop diabetes (I've seen it happen), when they have to constantly be on anti-depressants (I've seen this happen, too), or when it is determined that they have become alcoholics (I've seen this happen a lot).

Any chemical dependencies, legal or otherwise, can adversely effect a person's combat-readiness, and I would not want to serve alongside a person who could not support his or her comrades in a combat situation.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:35 pm

ehymw wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Autism no,

PS Bradley Manning is a great example of a person who's sexual identify was a symptom of serious mental illness.

Are you sure? I heard his crisis of conscience came about when he witnessed the army murdering secular protesters on the false grounds that they were jihadists.

Last edited by Stannis on 21 Feb 2014, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:57 pm

Stannis wrote:
ehymw wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Autism no,

Are you sure? I heard his crisis of conscience came about when he witnessed the army machine gunning protesting workers on the false grounds that they were jihadists.

Specifically, they killed a crew of journalists working for Reuters and then tried to cover it up.

As for the military, who the hell would even want to join? Oh wow, you get paid almost minimum wage to get your legs blown off and your psyche torn to shreds. Thanks for your sacrifice. Enjoy working at Wal-Mart, because no middle-class employer wants anything to do with your broken brain and crippled body.