Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BoomJuggs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

As someone with Aspergers I often feel like I am more detached from the world rather than being swept up along with it. Many things that happen, which society seems to accept as normal, fascinate me as to how illogical and seemingly idiotic they are.

My current bugbear is it seems to me that the majority of people in charge of anything are utter morons and no one seems to care.

For example, the council where I live, spent a fortune on what they called redeveloping the inner town. They put white (yes, white!) sparkling paving slabs down. They looked great for about 20 minutes. After a few days the roads were lined with black tire marks. The pedestrianised area now looks like dirty snow where all the footprints have been and there are stains everywhere where people have dropped food and drinks. Surely the biggest idiot in the world can say that bright white is not a practical colour.

The council also renovated one of our local swimming pools. Cost them £2.5 million (about $4 million USD). All they did is put new tiles in, rearrange the water slide, and put a statue of a granny from the 1920s in. Oh and revamp the changing rooms. Within a week they have closed it again. It has now been closed for a month. The tiles apparently were too slippery and will need to be replaced as they were unsafe. Did no one think of this in the 10 months the pool was closed. Not one person thought "I wonder if these tiles are safe". The slide broke within a day of use. As did the new showers they installed. £2.5 million. Who runs these things?

In my last job, my department was run by a deeply unqualified lady who was "banging the boss". She had previously been answering the phones. She had a huge budget and no idea how to run it. She promoted all her friends and ran parties disguised as "team building days out". Within a few months she ran out of the budget. Result, 2 members of staff were fired to compensate as they couldn't afford their salaries (not me incidently). It just seemed ridiculous to me.

My Aunt is an alcoholic, stole £50k from a charity she set up and then had her house repossessed. Oh and her husband has been arrested multiple times for having sex with other men in public toilets. She got elected recently to her town council. She makes decisions on things that affect us all. I cannot figure out for the life of me why anyone on this earth would vote for a woman with a track record like that, to run our town. I'm lost. Completely lost.

The Royal Bank of Scotland just announced lossed of £4 Billion. The next day the management awarded themselves bonuses totalling £930 Million. Any ideas? This probably doesnt go under the label of being stupid, rather under being chronically immoral. The stupidity comes from the people using RBS. I am more frustrated that they seem not to care. If I was a patron of the RBS I'd be posing dog faeces to them.

The Co-operative bank are in dire straights as they openly admit that they were taking financial advice from an alcoholic pot smoking Vicar (Priest), with a taste for crystal meth. Too weird to believe? For those that dont know the co-op, their selling point is that they are such an ethical bank, lol.
I've included the article here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... owers.html

OK enough ranting. I could go on for hours and hours about incidents.

I despair with things like these going on in the world and all anyone seems to care about is Miley Cyrus half naked, or Cheryl coles new tattoo. Or who will win the football Premiership this year. Many people seem very shallow and stupid to me.

My questions:
(i) Is it just the UK that seems to be run by idiots?
(ii) Why does no one care or do anything?
(iii) Are people without AS able to see these things as clearly as I can?
(iv) Why does society view me as disabled when they make decisions like these?

Answers welcome.......................

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 1:10 pm

I sympathise with all your points. The country is in turmoil but everyone, especially the government, are pretending its all fine. We are told there are many jobs out there, and yet it seems most jobs on the governments own website are fake jobs and scams. Our banks are not cleaning up their act and are still living lavish lifestyles at the expense of the tax payer, while at the same time everyone seems to be moaning about "benefit scroungers" who only get £70 a week so they can feed themselves.

I live in Manchester and the Co-op is a place I used to work. When I was there our Chief Executive was paid £250,000 per year, which we all thought was not excessive. But now I hear the chief of the bank is getting 3.6 Million!! !

I think the ship is sinking and everyone is just grabbing what they can while those in authority turn a blind eye and tell us all that everything's ok. And most of the population just carry on regardless and don't even think about the s**t that is happening.

Yeah, whoever decided white paving slabs was a good idea needs bricking up!

In Manchester our council spent a load of money on a completely useless grey concrete wall that splits Piccadilly Gardens in half. They have never painted it, or made it look nice. It just divides the open space and looks like some monument from the Eastern Bloc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm

All I gotta say is that the OP's aunt oughta run for mayor of Washington DC!

She has the perfect resume for the job.

Lostathome
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm

Yes. Why isn't there some kind of intelligence test someone has to take before being allowed any position of even slight authority?

I mean, even most of my university tutors are goddamn idiots. The people beneath them in the university structure seem far more intelligent.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

It's all about social skills.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm

I'll try to answer question 2 - Why does no one care or do anything?

I think the problem is that most people have the herd mentality and they look to our leaders and automatically assume they know what they are doing. They fail to see that those in authority are just people like them. No one reacts very much to most things in the UK. It seems to take a lot to get the masses out protesting.

I think the last time a protest in this country made any difference was the Poll Tax riots of 1990. Since then no protest had been big or heavy enough to make those in authority take notice and see they had done something against public opinion.

The apathy was drummed into the masses by Thatcher in the 80's and this relentless drive by the media to distract us with the crap that doesn't matter (like who is winning X factor, or what One Direction are up to).

I hope a new generation is emerging that is so used to the media hype that they stop buying it and start focusing on the real issues going on.

BoomJuggs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 3:19 pm

I think it also starts at with parents and at school, where kids are valued for just blindly following authority.

A good kid = one who makes the parent's/teacher's life easy. Shhh don't make the adults think.

It's also part of British culture to not create a fuss. Strong emotions are frowned on. Mustn't grumble.

My wife worked with US customer service for a while and cannot believe what p*ssies UK people are in terms of standing up for their rights in comparison to Americans.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

The Daily Mail is not a reputable news outlet.

Last edited by Stannis on 12 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoomJuggs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2014, 3:29 pm

Stannis wrote:
The Daily Mail is not a reputable news outlet.

ROFL. Agreed.

I once saw a donor card with "in he event of my death I wish my spleen to be forcibly hurled at the editor of the Daily Mail"

Apologies for the low brow choice of newspaper. It was the first one that came up when I googled the co-op.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

yes.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

BoomJuggs wrote:
Is the world run by idiots?

Yes.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:29 pm

BoomJuggs wrote:
As someone with Aspergers I often feel like I am more detached from the world rather than being swept up along with it. Many things that happen, which society seems to accept as normal, fascinate me as to how illogical and seemingly idiotic they are.

My current bugbear is it seems to me that the majority of people in charge of anything are utter morons and no one seems to care.

For example, the council where I live, spent a fortune on what they called redeveloping the inner town. They put white (yes, white!) sparkling paving slabs down. They looked great for about 20 minutes. After a few days the roads were lined with black tire marks. The pedestrianised area now looks like dirty snow where all the footprints have been and there are stains everywhere where people have dropped food and drinks. Surely the biggest idiot in the world can say that bright white is not a practical colour.

The council also renovated one of our local swimming pools. Cost them £2.5 million (about $4 million USD). All they did is put new tiles in, rearrange the water slide, and put a statue of a granny from the 1920s in. Oh and revamp the changing rooms. Within a week they have closed it again. It has now been closed for a month. The tiles apparently were too slippery and will need to be replaced as they were unsafe. Did no one think of this in the 10 months the pool was closed. Not one person thought "I wonder if these tiles are safe". The slide broke within a day of use. As did the new showers they installed. £2.5 million. Who runs these things?

In my last job, my department was run by a deeply unqualified lady who was "banging the boss". She had previously been answering the phones. She had a huge budget and no idea how to run it. She promoted all her friends and ran parties disguised as "team building days out". Within a few months she ran out of the budget. Result, 2 members of staff were fired to compensate as they couldn't afford their salaries (not me incidently). It just seemed ridiculous to me.

My Aunt is an alcoholic, stole £50k from a charity she set up and then had her house repossessed. Oh and her husband has been arrested multiple times for having sex with other men in public toilets. She got elected recently to her town council. She makes decisions on things that affect us all. I cannot figure out for the life of me why anyone on this earth would vote for a woman with a track record like that, to run our town. I'm lost. Completely lost.

The Royal Bank of Scotland just announced lossed of £4 Billion. The next day the management awarded themselves bonuses totalling £930 Million. Any ideas? This probably doesnt go under the label of being stupid, rather under being chronically immoral. The stupidity comes from the people using RBS. I am more frustrated that they seem not to care. If I was a patron of the RBS I'd be posing dog faeces to them.

The Co-operative bank are in dire straights as they openly admit that they were taking financial advice from an alcoholic pot smoking Vicar (Priest), with a taste for crystal meth. Too weird to believe? For those that dont know the co-op, their selling point is that they are such an ethical bank, lol.
I've included the article here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... owers.html

OK enough ranting. I could go on for hours and hours about incidents.

I despair with things like these going on in the world and all anyone seems to care about is Miley Cyrus half naked, or Cheryl coles new tattoo. Or who will win the football Premiership this year. Many people seem very shallow and stupid to me.

My questions:
(i) Is it just the UK that seems to be run by idiots?
(ii) Why does no one care or do anything?
(iii) Are people without AS able to see these things as clearly as I can?
(iv) Why does society view me as disabled when they make decisions like these?

Answers welcome.......................

thematically, this is every conversation i have with my brother (he is also on the spectrum). :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:32 pm

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:57 pm

As to why the public seems to do nothing, how do we know that they do not, given that our perceptions of the wider society are taken from the msm? To the extent that they do not, I would guess it's because the public is ignorant, gelded, too preoccupied with the trinkets of consumerism, and inculcated with selfishness.

Strong ethical principles will, of course, limit corruption. Their almost total absence from the political landscape is an obvious problem that needs to be rectified. One good idea is to mandate ethics education programs for politicians and business leaders.

Last edited by Stannis on 13 Mar 2014, 6:12 am, edited 9 times in total.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 4:58 pm

Who are the bigger idiots, the one's who run the world or the one's who elect them?

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Who are the bigger idiots, the one's who run the world or the one's who elect them?

You can't entirely blame the public for their poor judgement, when there's a vast public relations apparatus dedicated to obscurantism.