Page 5 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 4:37 pm

Feralucce wrote:
.......this is derailing the topic

SIde topics and debates are what make threads interesting, apart from that I am addressing a core issue of people like Phelps.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 4:56 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

SIde topics and debates are what make threads interesting, apart from that I am addressing a core issue of people like Phelps.

Most Christians - which doesn't include Phelps and his hate group masquerading as a church - realize we live under grace, not the law.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

I suggest a thread for that topic then.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 11:09 pm

I wonder what they did with his carcass. Maybe they just threw it in a ditch or blew it up with M-80s hahaha that would be funny!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 6:56 am

Nights_Like_These wrote:
While I wouldn't wish death on someone, I think the world is a far better place with him gone from it. I wouldn't even stoop to the WBC's level and suggest picketting them over his death. Why ruin your own karma for someone who's dead and gone? Spite is pretty pointless when the person isn't around to see your spite. lol To those saying he should rot in hell or those who say you hope there is a hell so he can rot in it I would say that he probably already lived in his own personal hell. People with happiness and joy in themselves don't live their lives the way he did and if you really stop and think about what his internal environment must have been like for him to be the person he was....well, it's kind of a scary thought. lol So, I think he lived his hell in this life, personally. I hope maybe he finds something else in death.

^this

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 7:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Are they still Democrats? I know the old man back in his younger, saner days, had been a civil rights lawyer, but in more recent years, they've picked up the lunatic cry that Obama is the Anti-Christ.

They said the same thing about Bush.

Their logic is that if the Democrats keep pushing the SSM and abortion issues, they will make the Second Coming occur much faster, thus rapturing them (and only them) to heaven.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 8:19 am

But it's strange that they would pick up on just the gay issue to anger god. There are plenty of laws in the Hebrew Bible. In an early Judaic apocryphal tradition the Flood was brought on by the angels telling humans about make-up, eyeliner, jewelry and teaching us about warfare. At one time the early church fathers accepted it as canonical.

He could've waved around the Book of Enoch in any drugstore and claimed that makeup will bring the Apocalypse.

He could stand in front of a divorce attorney's office and quote Jesus saying that remarriage is adultery if the cause was not sexual. Apocalypse here we come!

And yet the gay issue was all he could think about.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 9:39 am

His son said this about his father's passing:

“Fred Phelps is now the past. The present and the future are for the living. Unfortunately, Fred’s ideas have not died with him, but live on, not just among the members of Westboro Baptist Church, but among the many communities and small minds that refuse to recognize the equality and humanity of our brothers and sisters on this small planet we share. I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been. I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.

Even more, I mourn the ongoing injustices against the LGBT community, the unfortunate target of his 23 year campaign of hate. His life impacted many outside the walls of the WBC compound, uniting us across all spectrums of orientation and belief as we realized our strength lies in our commonalities, and not our differences. How many times have communities risen up together in a united wall against the harassment of my family? Differences have been set aside for that cause, tremendous and loving joint efforts mobilized within hours…and because of that, I ask this of everyone – let his death mean something. Let every mention of his name and of his church be a constant reminder of the tremendous good we are all capable of doing in our communities.

The lessons of my father were not unique to him, nor will this be the last we hear of his words, which are echoed from pulpits as close as other churches in Topeka, Kansas, where WBC headquarters remain, and as far away as Uganda. Let’s end the support of hateful and divisive teachings describing the LGBT community as “less than,” “sinful,” or “abnormal.” Embrace the LGBT community as our equals, our true brothers and sisters, by promoting equal rights for everyone, without exception. My father was a man of action, and I implore us all to embrace that small portion of his faulty legacy by doing the same.”

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Are they still Democrats? I know the old man back in his younger, saner days, had been a civil rights lawyer, but in more recent years, they've picked up the lunatic cry that Obama is the Anti-Christ.

They said the same thing about Bush.

Their logic is that if the Democrats keep pushing the SSM and abortion issues, they will make the Second Coming occur much faster, thus rapturing them (and only them) to heaven.

Well, the old man obviously chose to die before he could get raptured, meaning he'll have to wait to get resurrected like everyone else.
Just for the record, I don't believe in the rapture.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

Hes worm food!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:13 pm

Poor worms. :(

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:57 pm

simon_says wrote:
But it's strange that they would pick up on just the gay issue to anger god. There are plenty of laws in the Hebrew Bible.

^there are more passages in the Bible that forbid sex during a woman's menstrual cycle than there are about homosexuality. And several thousand verses about money (and not one of them says to keep it away from the poor).

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 6:40 am

I know people say that "god" is a tri-une being... father, son and holy ghost... but it seems that no matter what god thought about homosexuality... jesus did not agree...

ARTICLE LINK

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:42 pm

Feralucce wrote:
I know people say that "god" is a tri-une being... father, son and holy ghost... but it seems that no matter what god thought about homosexuality... jesus did not agree...

ARTICLE LINK

My God! That's nothing short of amazing to learn!

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

ARTICLE LINK

Really?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 2:23 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

ARTICLE LINK

Really?

No, seriously, I'm not being sarcastic! Trust me, I'm very pro-LGBT, and I think this revelation is great!