What to do with the USA government surplus?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 12:55 pm

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/07/news/ec ... ?hpt=hp_t3

We Aspies are supposed to be outside the box thinkers.

I'd like to hear some outside the box ideas.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 1:00 pm

I am not good at understanding number related stuff, but from what I understand the debt is too high. Well as usual I think allowing hemp to be used as a resource in this country would be immensely helpful to the economy, not just because OMG I want weed legal, but it is a renewable pretty fast to produce resource packaging can be made from it, paper can be made from it, clothes, furniture, fuel for cars but some of the corporate lobbyists would be sure to lose money if that resource was put to the use and them not losing money is more important than the well being of the people of this country or so our governments behavior would imply.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 2:14 pm

Pay a few creditors? China comes to mind.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 2:23 pm

As mentioned in the article, the US federal government is still expected to have a deficit for the whole year of 2014 - The current estimate is $ 492 billion.

So in reality, there is no surplus.

Legolas isn't taking the budget to Eisenhower just jet.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 May 2014, 4:06 pm

There is no surplus, we just haven't paid our bills. We have a national debt north of $17 trillion and it is climbing every day. Interest on our debt will eventually overtake the amount we spend on Medicaid and Defense, this could happen in the next 10 years.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 9:18 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

US banks and finance companies hold far more US government debt than China. Thanks in large part due to the fact that they can borrow interest free from the Fed and then turn around and buy up more debt to collect interest from the tax payers.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 10:05 am

Clearly the answer is to give it to some bank CEOs with no strings attached.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 10:59 am

TheGoggles wrote:

Yes, or Mr Snrub. The wealthy have everyone's interests at heart.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 11:10 am

sonofghandi wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

US banks and finance companies hold far more US government debt than China. Thanks in large part due to the fact that they can borrow interest free from the Fed and then turn around and buy up more debt to collect interest from the tax payers.

Yeah, you're probably right.

The ultimate solution would be for us to stop drinking champagne on a beer budget but unfortunately that's easier said than done.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 11:37 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Repay monies that have been stolen from Social Security Trust Fund. OUR money.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 11:43 am

The wonder of having huge government.

Don't get me wrong, we need a safety net for people, but we've got a monstrosity of truly awful top-down management. That helps to leave the cookie jar wide open.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 11:47 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The wonder of having huge government.

Don't get me wrong, we need a safety net for people, but we've got a monstrosity of truly awful top-down management. That helps to leave the cookie jar wide open.

Funny how people who ARE the Federal government like to preach about "big government" while they take home $170,000 + per year while pretty much sitting on their ass all day.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 12:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

We have a "revolving credit" arrangement with China. They lend us money. We buy their goods with it or invest in their industries, they make more money and lend us more. The point is at a boil and there is no war on the horizon from China since they gave up the Commie nonsense. No they are a more or less ordinary Corporate Crony and Government Thug economy. Sort of like the U.S was during the age of the Robber Barons.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2014, 12:26 pm

khaoz wrote:
Funny how people who ARE the Federal government like to preach about "big government" while they take home $170,000 + per year while pretty much sitting on their ass all day.

It's why I think we need to fight to have our distributing agencies such as medicaid, medicare, SSI, managed from the bottom up rather than top down. If we're paying taxes, which to have a nation with functioning structures it has to be done to a greater or lesser extent, we should be able to get a lot more bang for our buck and I think that would come from local offices being adaptable to local situations, being able to raise hell if something is going sour further up the chain, and we'd need internal controls good enough that medicaid/medicare/SSI fraud became a thing of history rather than a verbal redundancy - the extra costs of auditing and systems implementation would be worth it.

If a structure is running lean and smart, knows what it needs where, it'd be quite a loud matter for someone to siphon off the top. Also when its run from the top down no one seems to care how badly a thing works.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 May 2014, 4:41 pm

Hopper wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:

Yes, or Mr Snrub. The wealthy have everyone's interests at heart.
I like the way Snrub thinks.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:59 am

khaoz wrote:

I work for the federal government. I make less than the bottom 10% (according to BLS) for people who have my job title. I work in a department of 2 people, which at the Cleveland Clinic down the road has more than 10 times more people.

But everyone still assumes all government workers are all lazy and overpaid. Right.