Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

Tollorin wrote:
I don't know, but I'm certainly scared by the "nothing after death". :pale: How come atheists deal with that by the way?

Life and death exclude each other, so if I'm alive I'm not dead yet, and if I'm dead I'm no longer alive to experience it. And I have been non-living before (before I was born), and I don't remember any suffering in the nearly 14 billion years I was non-living.
I'm more scared of other people dying, because that does affect me.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Your dead carcass loses five grams of weight, and nobody know where it goes.

If it is awareness in weight, it may be either a choice, consumed, or imprisoned.

Just a best guess.

That 5 grams story is nonsense. It's based on a study from 1907 that isn't taken seriously today.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

28 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

trollcatman wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

If it is awareness in weight, it may be either a choice, consumed, or imprisoned.

Just a best guess.

That 5 grams story is nonsense. It's based on a study from 1907 that isn't taken seriously today.

Dammit man!! !! !!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm

trollcatman wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
Your dead carcass loses five grams of weight, and nobody know where it goes. If it is awareness in weight, it may be either a choice, consumed, or imprisoned. Just a best guess.

In an effort to put the soul onto a more scientific footing, Dr. Duncan MacDougall of Haverhill, Massachusetts tried, in 1901, to weigh the soul. He took a dying man and weighed him until the "moment" of death, at which point he apparently noticed a reduction in weight of three-fourths of an ounce. This experiment was dramatized, with a great deal of artistic license, in the Sunn Classic Pictures pseudoscience film "Beyond and Back". Over time he repeated the experiment with five other dying humans - and got a variety of differing results which rather invalidated his premise. The human weight loss he arrived at, about 21 grams, lived on in the urban legend stating we all lose this upon death, referenced in the title (and briefly in the plot) of a movie with the same name starring Sean Penn, Benicio Del Toro and Naomi Watts.

More detailed info can be found at This Snopes Article:

Snopes wrote:
Those who believe that the body becomes lighter [at the moment of death] seem to think that the soul has weight, weight that must of necessity depart with it, and -- with that brisk disregard of strict veracity which so frequently marks discussions of this nature -- have claimed that dying men, at the very moment of their decease, have been placed on delicate scales that have recorded their mortuary "degravitation". But these persons have never been able to specify in just what ghoulish laboratory this took place, or what private home was so interestingly equipped, or the names and addresses of the relatives who so commendably placed scientific and religious curiosity before sentimental concern for the patient's comfort.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 1:58 am

This is perhaps one of the most driving questions of our existence.

Many people choose to live life in hope and/or fear of the afterlife.

I don't believe in heaven or hell.
I choose to live life now, as best as my functioning allows me.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:06 am

I can give you the Biblical answer, believing it or not is another questions for you.
You will also notice the Bible differs from the teachings of those who claim to follow it.

In the Bible it says, when you die you are no more, you return to dust and you have no conscious so no "Soul" wandering around somewhere.
The word soul actually means "life as a breather", its talking about the living entity, not some mysterious creature that live inside you and retains your memories even when a damaged brain cannot do so.
The Biblical term "Spirit" would more fittingly refer to an internal life force than Christendoms perpetuation of the Devils original lie that "you will not die" (Genesis 3)

Genesis 3:19 until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.”

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

At the end of Jesus 1000 year reign however, there is something called the resurrection of the dead when the good and the bad are remade and judged. This shows the inconsistency of Christendom with its teaching of a soul, that you dont die, you just sort of change and live somewhere else.

Well, if people go to heaven when they die, whats the resurrection that they also teach?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

You rot in the ground as bacteria fungi and maggots feast on your body.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm

Its bestthat we all work together on not dying and helping each other stay alive...
Our existence will be a light that never goes out. Stay positive, keep mortality in mind

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

yournamehere wrote:

This isn't actually true. Experiments attempting to prove a loss of weight upon death have been utterly inconclusive.

It's true that people have attempted to detect 'the weight of the soul as it departs the body'.
It's not true that a specific weight has been associated with it or that any consistent behaviour has been recorded.
Feel free to start your research here.

After death your immune system is no longer able to keep your meat from rotting. That is all.

AspieOtaku wrote:

Most likely this, unless your corpse is disposed of in a way that prevents decomposition. Like being dumped in space (or 'ascending to the heavens'). :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2014, 5:28 am

i don't think 'we' will ever die for good.. i believe it's inevitable 'we' (the exact arrangement of atoms that constitutes you (more or less)) will pop up again given infinite time in the future, whether that be in another universe (multiverse) or another cycle of this one (cyclic universe) though i don't know.
you can think of it like a mathematically inevitable physical and naturalistic reincarnation.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:30 am

funeralxempire wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

This isn't actually true. Experiments attempting to prove a loss of weight upon death have been utterly inconclusive.

It's true that people have attempted to detect 'the weight of the soul as it departs the body'.
It's not true that a specific weight has been associated with it or that any consistent behaviour has been recorded.
Feel free to start your research here.

After death your immune system is no longer able to keep your meat from rotting. That is all.

AspieOtaku wrote:

Most likely this, unless your corpse is disposed of in a way that prevents decomposition. Like being dumped in space (or 'ascending to the heavens'). :lol:
Or tossed in Lava!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:37 am

Or being digested (sky burial).

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:52 am

DAMMIT MAN!! !! !! !

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2014, 7:37 am

Humanaut wrote:
Or being digested (sky burial).
Well, human doesn't taste right unless you add lots of Old Bay. Old Bay makes anything edible.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

That place before you were born. "Nothing".

You know I'm right.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:48 pm

Dillogic wrote:
That place before you were born. "Nothing".

You know I'm right.

That is one option I left out of my previous post. But that one is no fun.

Besides, the multiplication of zero times any number is zero. So it can't be true. There must be something there? It is in the math. There is a one there. There has to be. Staring at this white screen is bugging my eyes out. Gtg.