If there was an Autistic state would you migrate there?

Page 4 of 17 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Would you move to a state for ASD people?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 28 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 48 ]
Maybe (state why) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 88

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 11:42 am

Never hurts to give it a try, I suppose.

But autistic people would have to cooperate with other autistic people--even socialize with them.

In order to perpetuate such a community, autistic people would have to reproduce.

If an emergency occurs, autistic people would have to prevent themselves from having meltdowns/shutdowns/sensory overload situations. Emergencies, invariably, are sensory overload situations.

In order to succeed, I believe we'd have to hire sympathetic NT's at some point. Especially in "first-responder" type positions.

It's not that autistic people aren't intelligent people--it's that we're not social people. In order for such a state to continue to exist, the autistic people would have to adapt--perhaps better than they had been adapting in the "NT" world. They just might have to transcend their neurology at many points.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm

Going into a panic at an emergency is not a particularly Autist trait... I don't think there's any grounds to say that Autists will be any worse at avoiding panic as Enties are.

Most Autists appear to be introverts, yes. But does a society need to have lot's of extraverts in order to function, especially with modern technology allowing a greater degree of autonomy? I haven't found that Autists are by nature loners who find more than a few hours a week of social contact traumatic.

Regardless, I want to start small, with Autist enclaves at first - cohousing projects, Autist business co-operatives etc. Tie it all together with a phyle, that will hopefully grow to providing services such as education and benefits to Autists. Later we can see about setting up autonomous communes (in the medieval sense of a polis, rather than the hippie sense). It's a small beginning, but don't despise it.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2014, 4:13 pm

Quote:
In order to succeed, I believe we'd have to hire sympathetic NT's at some point. Especially in "first-responder" type positions.

I'm a first responder at my job. I find I am more calm when other people are panicking.

I think that if you bring a lot of autistics together, then the strengths of some will compensate for the weaknesses of others.

Quote:
But autistic people would have to cooperate with other autistic people--even socialize with them.
In order to perpetuate such a community, autistic people would have to reproduce.

Well we're capable of doing so, and (for now anyway) many autistic people would still be born in NT-Land, and if successful, our numbers would be propped up by immigration.

I do agree magneto though, that any project like this needs to start small, and be built from the ground up.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm

o0iella wrote:
Quote:

I'm a first responder at my job. I find I am more calm when other people are panicking.

I think that if you bring a lot of autistics together, then the strengths of some will compensate for the weaknesses of others.

Quote:

Well we're capable of doing so, and (for now anyway) many autistic people would still be born in NT-Land, and if successful, our numbers would be propped up by immigration.

I do agree magneto though, that any project like this needs to start small, and be built from the ground up.

Speak for yourself, but I can get as hysterical as the rest of them. :lol:

tomato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:51 pm

Isn't that what Israel is?

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

tomato wrote:
Isn't that what Israel is?
You should not judge a culture entirely by its geeky yet jazzy and surprisingly sexy secular music!

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2014, 3:48 pm

This music is like crack cocaine!! I've been listening to it for the past two hours, thanks for introducing it to me persimmon!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 3:57 pm

That's a bad jam.

It is cool music.

But- back to the topic-

Why would we wanna do this? Why would autistics want their own state again? Just so we can get bullied by other autistics-instead of by NTs? BFD!

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

Why not? Or, why do Canadians want their own state? Why doesn't America merge with Mexico? Can't the Scots just be happy being in the same state as the French? What's this crazy notion that Japan and China should be separate states?

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2014, 8:19 am

The situation is so dire for so many autistics in NT land that we wouldn't have much to lose by trying to build a state, and a lot to gain if it succeeds.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

I am frankly heartbroken that such people exist on here who want to divide themselves from society and declare NTs as a whole to be our enemy. That they think they as a whole our out to get us, kill us or something.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 6:20 am

There are very, very few who would lump all NTs in together that way.

But, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 7:54 am

Quote:
I am frankly heartbroken that such people exist on here who want to divide themselves from society and declare NTs as a whole to be our enemy. That they think they as a whole our out to get us, kill us or something.

We have no choice in the matter. We are already marginalised and by NT society, and when the genes for autism are discovered, many autistics will be killed in the womb. It breaks my heart as well, but we're not the ones who put up the walls.

What we can choose is how we respond to this situation.

Seperatism doesn't necessarily imply hatred of NT's, it just acknowledges that we can't live together

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:39 am

o0iella wrote:
Quote:

We have no choice in the matter. We are already marginalised and by NT society, and when the genes for autism are discovered, many autistics will be killed in the womb. It breaks my heart as well, but we're not the ones who put up the walls.

What we can choose is how we respond to this situation.

Seperatism doesn't necessarily imply hatred of NT's, it just acknowledges that we can't live together

But we have lived together with them for the countless centuries there have been autistics and NT's. I would not in the least be surprised if the Paleolithic cave art was made by autistics, as later achievements in the arts and sciences in later times were often produced by us. Sure, acceptance for us isn't always there, but we have proven that we fill an important role in human society which NT's need.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 10:44 am

I'm still skeptical air whether a state like this would work. Isn't the state of Israel also dealing with its own outside threats now? If you think living with NTs in the same country is bad, what if they were to gain up on an entire autistic country?

And can it be a democracy that's at least semi-inclusive of other neurologies?

I'm not sure what the political structure of such country would be like.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2014, 8:25 am

Quote:
But we have lived together with them for the countless centuries there have been autistics and NT's. I would not in the least be surprised if the Paleolithic cave art was made by autistics, as later achievements in the arts and sciences in later times were often produced by us.

Have you not seen how rough society was to it's deviants in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if autistic people were a high proportion of witch burnings or murder victims. In later years, lower functioning autistics would have been sent to asylums to die of tuberculosis. There is no solid evidence that Paleolithic cave art was produced by autistics, and I don't think diagnosing historical figures is helpful to our cause.

Autistic people survive in NT society (for now anyway), but I want us to thrive!!

Quote:
I'm still skeptical air whether a state like this would work. Isn't the state of Israel also dealing with its own outside threats now? If you think living with NTs in the same country is bad, what if they were to gain up on an entire autistic country?

But at least they can face and fight the threat together. Israel is in a far stronger position today than the European Jews were before it's creation, where they formed scattered communities of a despised minority who were completely vulnerable when the majorities in their society turned on them.

Quote:
And can it be a democracy that's at least semi-inclusive of other neurologies?

Sure, if these neurologies are marginalised by NT society, then I think they should be welcomed here. But I wouldn't want, sociopaths, psychopaths or narcissists to live here though.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the political structure of such country would be like.

It will be whatever the citizens of the country want it to be. Sure, that looks scary at first, and it will be difficult, but I think it will be massively beneficial to our well-being if we take charge of our destiny.