Page 6 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 9:29 pm

Narrator wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Eric I think that's a point pretty much everyone here can agree on. Scientology is a whole level of insane that I cannot understand.
Several high profile celebrities follow Scientology. On that basis, it must be right.
Argumentum ad Populum.

Mere belief - even celebrity belief - does not validate a crackpot cult.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 10:44 pm

Narrator wrote:
So we want to talk authenticity?

In Mark 12, Jesus speaks of the Torah (or the Pentateuch, the first 5 books of the Bible) as the book of Moses, the commonly accepted belief at the time (and for centuries afterwards).

Scholars now believe those books were compiled together from several sources. For example, there are two creation stories, side by side.

The first, Gen 1-Gen 2:4 has an order, with man being created last (after creatures etc). Written by an author who used the word Elohim for God, it's believed to have been written to show God's orderliness (I'm keeping it simple for brevity here). The writer also uses references to the old Ptolemaic system, where the planets and stars are fixed in a firmament above the unmoving earth.

The second creation story is from Gen 2:4 on into the fall story. It starts with man being created first (before creatures etc), and is a more anthropomorphic view, with relationships being an important part of the narrative. This author uses Yahweh for God. There are other parts where these two authors appear together, such as in the story of Noah's ark.

It's important to note, they are not thrown together to contradict each other. In tribal days (the roots of these stories), spiritual truths trumped historical accuracy. Mythos was performance in which these stories were passed down around the fire at night to keep the demons away (brevity again).

These days, the theories about the authorship have caused many arguments, about who and how many, but the core of it is still agreed upon, that the books are a compilation from several authors, several sources.

I learned about this while studying theology as an 18 year old. At the time, understanding the (asserted) intention behind the authorship and behind the compilation, I had no problem with it and it didn't add any doubt in my faith. It made sense and in some regards strengthened the logic of it.

But over the decades since, this knowledge has become a wedge against other issues. For example, why would Jesus refer to the Torah as Moses' work? He seemed well used to arguing with the priests in the synagog. He wouldn't just go along with what they believed for the sake of it.

I had this passage pointed out to me by a pentecostal pastor. He used it in support of Moses authorship, when all it did for me was add to my skepticism regarding Jesus. Curiously, it's generally reported that only fundamentalist Jews and fundamentalist Christians support Moses authorship.

My favourite Bible is the original Jerusalem Bible (as use in Catholic theology), owing to its use of original wording, such as using Elohim and Yahweh where they are used, instead of simplifying them to "God" like other Bibles do.

The four documents are just a theory, and they have not been proven to exist.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 11:29 pm

nerdygirl wrote:

It's gone well past JEDP theory. But yes, as you say, it's a theory. And it's a theory the scholars all agree with from Jewish to Catholic to protestant to secular (except fundamentalist).

Don't take my word for it. Just look at the two creation stories. Write down the order of events. It's right there in Genesis 1 and 2.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 11:46 pm

But anecdotal evidence written down is not really evidence anyway. Julius Caesar was made a deity after his death by the Senate, it's all official. That makes Augustus the son of a God.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 11:56 pm

Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
only believers can see him. he supports all things pasta. my particular denomination prefers whole wheat.
And it lives in the blanket that you carry in the crook of your arm that has the thumb that you suck on the end of it. Right??

are you mocking my faith? christians and muslims don' t tolerate that. why should I?
Of course not! Since you are clearly not trying to mock Christians I wouldn't dream of mocking Noodle Monsterians.

I'm just trying to get the details right as I'm thinking of converting.

may he bless you with the touch of his noodly appendage.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 12:02 am

Narrator wrote:
Don't take my word for it. Just look at the two creation stories. Write down the order of events. It's right there in Genesis 1 and 2.

Here, I'll help out:

Story 1: Gen 1-Gen 2:4 (written like an accountant)
- Light
- Heavens
- Earth, vegetation
- Sun, Moon, stars
- Fish, birds
- Land animals, then man (last of all)
- God rested

Story 2: Gen 2:4-19 and on into the fall (written like a sociologist)
- No tree or shrub yet
- Man (first in the order)
- Trees
- Animals, birds

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 2:35 am

nerdygirl wrote:
You're missing the crucial point, Nerdy. Those that have clout and influence create their own "truth" by the simple expedient of finding some ambitious bod, willing to exchange integrity for thirty pieces of publicity, whom they then dub an "expert", and hey presto!! ! a new "truth" is born!

Any opposition, or reasonable criticism, of the new "scientific" orthodoxy is carefully censored out from "respectable" publicity by ensuring that any "peer reviews" are done by sympathetic and ideologically committed fellow-travellers.

You might be interested to fossick around in here to find some articles of your interest:

http://www.trueorigin.org/camplist.php

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 2:50 am

Oldavid wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
You're missing the crucial point, Nerdy. Those that have clout and influence create their own "truth" by the simple expedient of finding some ambitious bod, willing to exchange integrity for thirty pieces of publicity, whom they then dub an "expert", and hey presto!! ! a new "truth" is born!

Interesting comment, given the amount of arguing the scholars have had over this one. Huge disagreements over lots of detail, including when, who, how many, why etc. About the only thing each of the camps agree on is that the Pentateuch/Torah is a compilation from several sources.

If it were a single "ambitious bod" or even a science community conspiracy, you'd think there would be far greater "consensus."

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 2:55 am

Oldavid wrote:
You might be interested to fossick around in here to find some articles of your interest:

http://www.trueorigin.org/camplist.php

It's not often I toss out the baby with the bathwater, but a site that supports YEC just leaves me cold.

azaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2014, 3:13 am

I choose to follow both of them because they are both Prophets sent by the same God with the same message to worship God alone and not associate partners with Him. But Jews and Christians went astray and left prayers and changed their religion to man made religions.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:21 am

azaam wrote:
I choose to follow both of them because they are both Prophets sent by the same God with the same message to worship God alone and not associate partners with Him. But Jews and Christians went astray and left prayers and changed their religion to man made religions.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one."

You're welcome to your opinion.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:23 am

azaam wrote:

So what you are really saying is, the Christian/Jewish God and the Christian Jesus are false.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:18 am

Don't know anything about Muhammad insofar as canonical text goes

Jesus was ok in that he lived how he preached; that's always something worthy.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:25 am

Narrator wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

It's gone well past JEDP theory. But yes, as you say, it's a theory. And it's a theory the scholars all agree with from Jewish to Catholic to protestant to secular (except fundamentalist).

What have you read in regards to this? Send me links.

And, what else in the Pentateuch besides Genesis 1&2 are you having a problem with? When do you believe it was compiled?

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 6:46 am

Fnord wrote:

This Patriarchy has used the same book to support slavery, the oppression of women, and conquest by genocide for centuries. These also happen to be the same principles that America was founded upon.

If you want to cite books of legends as "proof" of your beliefs, then why not cite the Vedas, Upanishads, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Bhagavad Gita, Puranas, Manusmṛti, and Agamas?

Likely because, like many others, you believe only what you want to believe, and only because you were told to believe it.

I have seen this argument over and over and have read the Bible through. I don't see the support for slavery, nor the oppression of women. Conquest by genocide? I have to admit that is in the Old Testament, but not as a direction for all time for dealing with all opposing groups.

To be clear, I know that slavery is "in the Bible." But, slavery in the Bible is not the same as slavery as we know it today, and slavery being "in the Bible" does not mandate that slavery be carried out everywhere and in all times. That requires a whole different discussion.

Are women oppressed in the Bible? I suppose that many would say yes, compared to how we live today. But, compared to other ancient societies, women were treated much, much better. In addition, today in certain societies, women are treated much, much worse than anything described in the Bible. We also have to consider that cultures where women have the most freedom today are ones in which Christianity has had the most influence.

I also must admit that people have twisted the Scriptures to make allowances for themselves to do the things you are saying - slavery, oppressing women, genocide. But, it is not the Scriptures telling them to do so - it is their own warped minds. In England and in the USA, the abolition of slavery was spearheaded by Christians.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:21 am

God could just have made an 11th commandment that Christians should not own slaves, but He didn't.
And for women's rights, I think there is more a correlation with secularism and Liberalism (the original kind). Europe had Christianity for 1000-1500 years before women got voting rights and were considered a person of themselves, and not the property of a father or husband. In the Netherlands women got the vote somewhere during 1918-1920, which is similar to most other Western countries. It was supported by the Social Democrats and the Liberal Party (again, the free market guys), and not by the Christian Democrats.