Page 8 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm

Narrator wrote:
YEC is just plain idiocy, perpetrated by people for whom reason stops at a fundamentalist approach to scripture.
I'm not talking about Scripture. I'm talking about science, science that you have just refused to consider.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:15 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Oldavid you realize you CAN be religious and still believe in evolution, right?
I'm Catholic and I believe evolution happened.
That MAY be so. But I'm not arguing that "evolution" is opposed to "religion".
Quote:
There is too much proof to deny it at this point.
Which I dispute. I am saying that the supposed "proofs" are pure fairy tales and conjecture based on an ideological prejudice.

I think this particular argument belongs in another thread.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:25 pm

Okay David, explain to me that the dinosaurs and humans co-existed. I'll give you a chance, though it won't change the fact that it never happened and millions of years separated the two.

How is it ideological prejudice to say evolution is a fact? Science is based on facts, and it's been a widely accepted fact for a good amount of time now. One can say the same thing about the Bible, Torah and the Koran being fairy tales as well if they interpreted them that way.

You can be a believer in God and still believe in evolution. The Catholic Church's view on evolution has been pretty damn on point, at least in my view. I believe the age of the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old, yet I still believe in Jesus. I don't see a contradiction in my faith. It makes sense to me, which is all that matters.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:44 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
YEC is just plain idiocy, perpetrated by people for whom reason stops at a fundamentalist approach to scripture.
I'm not talking about Scripture. I'm talking about science, science that you have just refused to consider.

Science with an agenda that comes from religion is not science.
And....... pot kettle.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 10:48 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Okay David, explain to me that the dinosaurs and humans co-existed. I'll give you a chance, though it won't change the fact that it never happened and millions of years separated the two.
How do you know?
Quote:
How is it ideological prejudice to say evolution is a fact? Science is based on facts, and it's been a widely accepted fact for a good amount of time now. One can say the same thing about the Bible, Torah and the Koran being fairy tales as well if they interpreted them that way.

You can be a believer in God and still believe in evolution. The Catholic Church's view on evolution has been pretty damn on point, at least in my view. I believe the age of the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old, yet I still believe in Jesus. I don't see a contradiction in my faith. It makes sense to me, which is all that matters.

It might be all that matters to you, but to me nonscience is a deadly pollutant of science, culture,morals and intelligence.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:31 am

Narrator wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
Narrator wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
The four documents are just a theory, and they have not been proven to exist.

It's gone well past JEDP theory. But yes, as you say, it's a theory. And it's a theory the scholars all agree with from Jewish to Catholic to protestant to secular (except fundamentalist).

Don't take my word for it. Just look at the two creation stories. Write down the order of events. It's right there in Genesis 1 and 2.

What have you read in regards to this? Send me links.

And, what else in the Pentateuch besides Genesis 1&2 are you having a problem with? When do you believe it was compiled?

Ummm... I don't have a problem with any of it. As a collection of writings, typical of a broad period (somewhere between 500 and 800 years, if I recall), I find it wonderful reading, especially when understood in the context of several culturally significant aspects, such as how they thought back then and how very differently we think now. It's especially good when you can reference things like the Ptolemaic system, the style, language and grammar of different writers, and the rich tapestry that went into informing the stories.

But to answer your question, there is a lot of it out there. I forget most of the reading I have done on it, but I can certainly give you one or two samples to start you off. If you want more, just ask.

I'll try to find something from very recent, but this one is at least fairly recent, and also contains a link to the combined parts of the Flood story.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060408080043/http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/2/Judaism/jepd.html

Here's another from a Jewish scholar, though he's a bit light on detailing each point:
http://www.mesacc.edu/~thoqh49081/handouts/torahclues.html

Here's a slightly fuller discussion of several points:
http://stevendimattei.com/moses-write-torah-2/

Here's a PDF from a scholar who goes into considerable detail, for a short-ish thesis on the topic.
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/doc-hyp.pdf

One fascinating argument between scholars is with some saying that Deuteronomy is the only book actually written by Moses, but most scholars disagree. Here's something from Jewish scholars on that one:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/5132-deuteronomy#anchor9

If you wish, I could provide more. I learned about this almost 40 years ago while studying theology, so you'll forgive me if I'm a little slow with the detail, and I like to check how current I am. Much has changed with JEDP, but the core of it has remained the same.

Where are the actual sources? Documents? Fragments of these documents? How can we have copies of the OT books 2,000+ years old, yet none of the documents? Why would the Jewish leaders in ancient days assume and teach that the various books in question were written by one person, if they knew that they were compilations - and had much more reason to know whether or not they were, being much closer in time to the writings?

The problem with textual criticism is that it is full of assumptions. It is people on the outside looking in and trying to make sense of how a text is put together and what an author intended. Ultimately, it is their own imaginations, not outside proof, that guide the criticism.

I am in music composition. It is interesting that just last week, I was reading a book on fugal writing that talked about a string quartet which Mozart wrote. The author of the book said that when Mozart used strict fugal writing, his own personal style disappeared. This string quartet would not be recognized as a work by Mozart because it lacked his compositional "fingerprint." If we did not have Mozart's name on the piece, plenty of people would try to say he "must not have" written it. I have listened to the piece, and I agree. I would never know it was Mozart.

I wrote a piece for string quartet last year. If I wasn't here to say I wrote all four movements to go together in one piece or have an explanation of my piece written out, I would bet that most would say the last movement did not fit (it is the only tonal movement.) The last movement has stylistic differences than the other three, and an extremely different approach. I "couldn't possibly" have intended for them to go together. In a textual criticism approach, one might think that the movements were written at very different times and then stuck together.

Oh, and then we have the people who are questioning the authorship of all of Shakespeare's work because we don't have enough evidence regarding the man William Shakespeare. They say a shopkeeper in a village "couldn't possibly" have been an absolute genius.

I have read several articles by authors who scoff at the literary criticism done of their works. So much literary criticism puts things "into" the writing or draws conclusions that the authors never intended.

Textual criticism may be right, or it may be dead wrong. We don't have the evidence that it is correct, so why not trust what Jesus said about Moses being the author of the Pentateuch?

These writers in the links above seem to forget that Moses was a *PROPHET*. Prophets were given "inside information", often far into the future. Of course, prophets could be talking about things they had no personal knowledge of, even Moses of his own death. This happens in Moses' writing as well as in the later OT books of prophecy. And calling people and places by different names? It happens all the time. How many of us talk about the places we know by different names. Or, by old names that are no longer in use but would make sense to locals?

Also, when discussing dating, what year of the Exodus are the writers in the links above assuming? I saw no reference to that, and that could very well affect some of their conclusions about what Moses may or may not have known.

Here's another interesting fact regarding this topic. You may have heard about a huge boulder off the coast of Rhode Island that has Icelandic words engraved in it. The archeologists are trying to date the writing and prove that the Icelandic people came to the New World much earlier than thought. The wording on the rock is "Beware Indians." The thing about it is that I happen to personally know the man who carved the words into the rock. He used to go to that beach as a boy and when he was 13, he used a chisel to carve in the rock when it was not covered by the tide. He is an eccentric man who has an intense interest in ancient English and Norse, so it is not a surprise to anyone who knows him that he did this. Funny, huh? He has come forward and explained when/where/how he carved the rock, including the mistake he made in forming one of the letters, and no one will believe him. His testimony, and the testimony of his brother is just not enough. Instead, the archeologists want to believe their own assumptions to create the story they want to put forward as true.

Word to the wise regarding textual criticism: Be very careful.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

nerdygirl wrote:
.....Ultimately, it is their own imaginations, not outside proof, that guide the criticism.

Anyone comprehensively familiar with the work done on this would know that a) it's not a criticism, but several studies done by people from various disciplines, and b) that to play it down as pure imagination with no outside proof reveals a lack of familiarity with the work.

nerdygirl wrote:
I am in music composition. It is interesting that just last week, I was reading a book on fugal writing that talked about a string quartet which Mozart wrote. The author of the book said that when Mozart used strict fugal writing, his own personal style disappeared. This string quartet would not be recognized as a work by Mozart because it lacked his compositional "fingerprint." If we did not have Mozart's name on the piece, plenty of people would try to say he "must not have" written it. I have listened to the piece, and I agree. I would never know it was Mozart.

I do not know the case, though I have heard of it. But there is no wide body of scholars from competing faculties making a case that Mozart did not write the fugues. As for the authorship of the Pentateuch, if style was the only evidence, then no one would have listened to the multi-authorship argument.

nerdygirl wrote:
Oh, and then we have the people who are questioning the authorship of all of Shakespeare's work because we don't have enough evidence regarding the man William Shakespeare. They say a shopkeeper in a village "couldn't possibly" have been an absolute genius.

I have read several articles by authors who scoff at the literary criticism done of their works. So much literary criticism puts things "into" the writing or draws conclusions that the authors never intended.

I enjoyed reading all about this since I first heard of it back in 1993. It almost reads like a conspiracy story, with people wondering if Marlow or Bacon or de Vere or someone else were the true authors, hiding behind Shakespeare so they would not be found in conspiracy against the royals. There was a woman in Chicago in the 1920's by the name of Elizabeth Wells Gallup. She was employed full-time for several years by an eccentric wealthy industrialist. She was skilled at ciphers and it was her job to decipher the codes in Shakespeare's works and discover the true author. She never came close.

Aside from the enjoyable reading, there has never been wide support for the various theories. And as you say, there are plenty who scoff at the notions.

This is very different to having wide agreement by Catholic scholars, Jewish scholars, protestant scholars and secular scholars. You don't get wide agreement of that nature, between competing faculties, from an imagined idea.

nerdygirl wrote:
We don't have the evidence that it is correct, so why not trust what Jesus said about Moses being the author of the Pentateuch?

Saying there is no evidence is only your assumption. I learned about this 39 years ago while studying theology, where I saw and read a decent chunk of the evidence.

Look at Gen. 6:19 "And of every living thing, of all flesh, you shall bring two of every kind..."
Look at Gen. 2:7 "Take with you seven pairs of all clean animals, the male and its mate; and a pair of the animals that are not clean..."

Not only is the style different and words used different, so are the numbers. The first quote says to bring 2 each of all flesh. The second quote changes this to, take 7 pairs of clean animals and a pair of unclean. That's just one small sample of the combined Noah tale.

The scholars also referenced older works, such as the Epic of Gilgamesh and other writings which go back several hundred years before the Torah was written, many of which influenced Biblical stories.

Some of the things written about in the Pentateuch refer to times and places that came after Moses lifetime. That's not imagination.

And finally, unlike the many who scoff at Bacon's Shakespeare, the only ones who scoff at this are fundamentalist Jews and fundamentalist Christians. The rest of Jewish, Christian and secular scholarship took their time accepting it, but they weighed the evidence and all agreed with it.

nerdygirl wrote:
Word to the wise regarding textual criticism: Be very careful.

It's not criticism, it's a scholarly thesis, or more correctly, the theses of many scholars. Theses like these can be used as criticism by others, but they still stand on their own as theses.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Harvey wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

You also misunderstand the doctrine of the Trinity. I do know it is hard to explain, but the best way I can describe it is a royal family. A Prince, though not the King, is still to be venerated. If a Prince is sent as a messenger to another country, it might as well be the King. Two separate people, two different roles, same family, same respect due, same kind of authority when it comes to dealing with the subjects of the kingdom. It is not treason to venerate the Prince because exalting the Prince is the same as exalting the King - one would be exalting the same family.

the trinity can be explanied like this: jesus was god before he came to earth, he was god when he was jesus also, but at the same time he was also a human, after the death he was god, but since that he has a body you can see and touch. he is jehova, he is called son becuse jesus before he died was also a human and not 100 % god aka the father. same person. god can to anything! even comming to earth as a human and still be god at the same time. god in human body is the perfect sacrifice, he died for all humans sins.

its funny tought that many dont understand this, not even christians, many thinks jesus is a prophet, or only a son or that god is 2 or 3 persons.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 5:05 pm

cathylynn wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
only believers can see him. he supports all things pasta. my particular denomination prefers whole wheat.
And it lives in the blanket that you carry in the crook of your arm that has the thumb that you suck on the end of it. Right??

are you mocking my faith? christians and muslims don' t tolerate that. why should I?

Im a christian and I tolerate mocking. Dont judge us all...

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's not a fair comparison to be honest, Jesus was supposedly a son of god, a divine creature, hence why he could be super nice and accept slaps without remorse, while Mohammad was supposedly to be a human.

Jesus was more of a spiritual guru and freethinker back then, while Mohammad was a war-leader with supposedly a divine message.

Now, if you compare ALLAH to the Christian God/Yahweh, they're both horrible beings.

If you really want to fairly compare Mohammad to a Christian figure, then compare him to David, the insane king who supposedly exterminated the Canaanite children because some god told him so.

but jesus is god/yahweh, thats the funny thing, hence the "trinity".

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm

Snow, I think it'd be best to explain it by an image

Mind you not all branches of Christianity are Trinitarians (I'm a Catholic so I myself am one by default, as is the faith)

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 5:11 pm

eric76 wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
if i had the choice i would follow neither.

i don't follow paedophiles, wealthy or otherwise.

Uh... since when had Jesus ever been accused of pedophilia?

I think that the Church of Scientology made that claim in one of their "religious texts".

Well they have wrong. Jesus died as a virgin.

I doubt that the Church of Scientology is right about much of anything.

If im not misstaken, Tom Cruise is a part of church of scientology. However, when he was young, he was a devoted christian.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm

azaam wrote:
I choose to follow both of them because they are both Prophets sent by the same God with the same message to worship God alone and not associate partners with Him. But Jews and Christians went astray and left prayers and changed their religion to man made religions.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one."

Jesus is not a prophet: http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/jesusgd2.htm

How did jews change their religion?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:15 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
azaam wrote:
I choose to follow both of them because they are both Prophets sent by the same God with the same message to worship God alone and not associate partners with Him. But Jews and Christians went astray and left prayers and changed their religion to man made religions.

Prophet Muhammad said: "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one."

Jews didn't. Just ignore that post in all honesty. While I respect azaam as a person, his belief system I do not. He cannot see faith through a different set of eyes and does not realize Islam was founded and modified on Jewish and Christian texts.

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2014, 5:27 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
white_as_snow wrote:
azaam wrote:

Jews didn't. Just ignore that post in all honesty. While I respect azaam as a person, his belief system I do not. He cannot see faith through a different set of eyes and does not realize Islam was founded and modified on Jewish and Christian texts.

Islam is a political ideology.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 5:41 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
only believers can see him. he supports all things pasta. my particular denomination prefers whole wheat.
And it lives in the blanket that you carry in the crook of your arm that has the thumb that you suck on the end of it. Right??

are you mocking my faith? christians and muslims don' t tolerate that. why should I?

Im a christian and I tolerate mocking. Dont judge us all...[/quote

okay.