Page 6 of 18 [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 10:35 pm

B19 wrote:
Albert again:

"I think that only daring speculation can lead us further and not accumulation of facts."
Albert Einstein
I used to think ole 'Bert was quite clever even if he was wrong about a few things.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
^Nicely put
Nonsense! An assumption is not a possible explanation to be tried by experiment. I it is something that is presumed to be "true" without evidence or proof.

Your lot demand that assumptions are some kind of scientific method only because your ideology is not based on science; your "science" is based on ideology that requires impossible assumptions.

What "ideology" does he have?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:01 am

Oldavid which "no entropy" argument would that be? No one presented such a case, all we did was show how wrong your assumptions were and by the sound of it, still are. But then of course any evidence which disagrees with your nonsensensical musings is not science, it is biased ideology :roll:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 5:33 am

Oldavid wrote:
If you think that challenging your ideology is "putting you on the back foot" then I'm happy to take you aback.

You would shed whatever I "paint you with" if you could justify your (nonscience) assumptions.

LOL.. so you get to be my judge.

Oldavid wrote:
Quote:
A man peppering a forum with subjective assumptions and then decrying subjective assumptions cannot be taken seriously.

I would expect that if you were serious in your allegation you'd supply some evidence.

I wasn't going to rise to your ad-hom baiting. But I decided you're probably not very self-aware. So maybe a little history of Oldavid is in order. Mind you, I haven't gone back very far... nor do I plan to.

Here is just a recent sample of only some of your subjective assumptions.
---------------------------------
Oldavid wrote:
An assumption is ... something that is presumed to be "true" without evidence or proof.

And you presume to know us, individually, collectively, and by the ad-hom groups you assign us to.

Oldavid wrote:
The one you will hate most is "a thing that does not exist cannot cause itself to exist".

This is a) a presumption about what I hate, and b) a presumption of my views on causality

Oldavid wrote:
For someone who claims not to know of Saul Alinsky you seem to have the strategy and rhetoric off pat.

An inference, not a fact, but nonetheless a strawman you use to dismiss me with. You're sounding Alinsky-like to me, but then, you're the one who informed my ignorance on the man.

Oldavid wrote:
If you think that challenging your ideology is "putting you on the back foot" then I'm happy to take you aback.

Again, you assume. My comment had nothing to do with challenging ideology but the ad-hom rhetoric you use to belittle your target.

Oldavid wrote:
You seem to imagine that any opinion is some sort of fact.

Evidence please? Again an assumption on your part. And again an inference meant to discredit/dismiss.

Oldavid wrote:
Dodging the issue is not making a point.

I do not dodge. I try not to assume too quickly. I don't always succeed, but unlike you, I try.

Oldavid wrote:
Experience, by it's very definition, is almost entirely subjective.

Which explains the following observation of yours.

Oldavid wrote:
Well, ever since I was a little brat I realised that the mob was nearly always wrong and a cautious analysis of fads is useful to sort out wheat from chaff.

Hence your "experience" has taught you to make subjective assumptions about people, right off the bat.

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
So, why would you ask scientists to hedge their bets and never be certain? If that was how scientists behaved, we would still be living in the 18th century, with another black plague waiting to wipe us out.
Oh dear! Now I'm in a quandary! Believe nonsense or be wiped out with the Plague! 8O

Binary logic. There are a lot of train stops between "never" and "always." Hence there are not just two possibilities. But your assumption of only two demonstrated a bias.

Oldavid wrote:
Excellent post above. I don't expect to meet any 'Spergics here... the parameters are clearly implicitly defined as "you run with current fads or you don't run, no dissention will be tolerated".

That ad-hom is more appropriately directed your way. Either we agree with your "science" or we deserve all the ad-homs you throw our way. I could throw so many "pot-kettles" your way.

Oldavid wrote:
My best bet for some interesting conversation is with 'Spergics that don't realise that they're 'Spergics and not with Narcissists that degrade 'spergia by trying to exult themselves into 'Spergics.

More ad-homs. Very scientific of you. No assumptions there. :roll:

Oldavid wrote:
Oh boy! You think that anything will become "true" just because you say it?

Like all the assumptions you throw around about everyone?

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
The four documents are just a theory, and they have not been proven to exist.
You're missing the crucial point, Nerdy. Those that have clout and influence create their own "truth" by the simple expedient of finding some ambitious bod, willing to exchange integrity for thirty pieces of publicity, whom they then dub an "expert", and hey presto!! ! a new "truth" is born!

Interesting comment, given the amount of arguing the scholars have had over this one. Huge disagreements over lots of detail, including when, who, how many, why etc. About the only thing each of the camps agree on is that the Pentateuch/Torah is a compilation from several sources.

If it were a single "ambitious bod" or even a science community conspiracy, you'd think there would be far greater "consensus."

In other words, you summarily dismiss the "ambitious bods" with your assumptions.

Oldavid wrote:
I maintain that you have a genuine fear of science and reason because you intuitively know that your ideology cannot stand any reasonable scrutiny by it.

Oh that's not an assumption, is it. :roll:

Oldavid wrote:
I am saying that the supposed "proofs" are pure fairy tales and conjecture based on an ideological prejudice.

Your subjective assumption. You dismiss anything that doesn't fit with your view, hence your own ideological prejudice.

Oldavid wrote:
Dear me! Where are the 'Spergics?
Is everyone so smug in their sentimental political correctness that they don't tolerate any reasonable investigation of the issue? I suggest that blind acceptance of the most current sentimental and subjective fads is not a good way to gain a reasonable understanding... or to really know what you're talking about.

It's more than a bit disappointing to discover that there don't seem to be any razor-sharp, knowledgeable, hair-splitting discussions to be found on supposedly AS sites. Perhaps most super-focused Autistic types are engaged in their obsessions and not much interested in being bombarded with silly platitudes that can be easily accessed by simply turning on a television.

Reasonable investigation? You ad-hom and castigate anyone who disagrees with you and you call it "reasonable investigation?"

Supposedly AS sites? Again, you assume you know the character of everyone here. Once again you like to infer ad-homs rather than stick to the what's known. And again, your deeds are at odds with your ideology.

Oldavid wrote:
Without investigation and reason "science" is merely a fad opinion or ideological sales-pitch.

Oh.. so all of your ad-homs and assumptions are merely your ideological sales-pitch. Well why didn't you say so?

Oldavid wrote:
Presently, I can't review previous posts and reply to them in detail. Nothing new under the Sun. I have been consistently censored (posts removed or deleted because they were inconvenient or bothersome to the "official", or "establishment") sales-pitch.

I'd like to start a new thread to deal with this business but I guess that nobody cares. Materialism is orthodoxy and no dissention will be tolerated.

I see you pulled your head in regarding your assumptions, when a mod set you straight. And no one here has been held back from starting a thread.

Oldavid wrote:
Nothing works without entropy. For any physical event to occur there must be a progression from a higher potential to a lower potential.

Misleading logic with poor assumptions. But you're convinced.. just as I was, when I believed the same thing.

Oldavid wrote:
I will "belittle" that kind of journey because I've been there, done that. The difference seems to be that I was not corralled at the dead end. I never staked my credibility on fantastic fads.

Wow! Such grand assumptions about me! At least in my journey I learned not to be so quick to assume I know people.

Here's a personal favourite:
---------------------------------------------------------
Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
You might be interested to fossick around in here to find some articles of your interest:

http://www.trueorigin.org/camplist.php

It's not often I toss out the baby with the bathwater, but a site that supports YEC just leaves me cold.
Then you're locked into believing that there are no scientifically valid alternatives to the absurd presumption that nothing caused/causes everything to become what it will be for no reason and in direct contradiction to well known, easily demonstrable, Natural Laws.

You're chucking out the baby, bathwater and the bathtub because of a pathological fear and disdain of the rather grubby baby.

Pathological fear? No, that's not an assumption, is it. :roll:

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
YEC is just plain idiocy, perpetrated by people for whom reason stops at a fundamentalist approach to scripture.
I'm not talking about Scripture. I'm talking about science, science that you have just refused to consider.

You assume that I have refused to consider it. You don't even present it as a question. It betrays your assumption about us as having no thought process other than accepting what we're sold. Refused to consider? David, I not only considered it, I lived it for 30+ years, researched it, read all I could on it, believed in it with prejudice against the arrogance of science. I was YOU, David, thinking I was smarter than all those who were conned by what popular mob science sold to ignorant atheists and others. This particular assumption of yours is so far off target, yet you presented it without any question. Science "asks," David. It doesn't presume to know. Like I said, your deeds are at odds with your ideology.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that helps. I've gone as far as I intend, hoping to get you to ask questions rather than preach and judge. The rest is up to you.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 8:24 am

Well said Narrator, of course it will not get through his cognitive dissonance but at least others who do not know his character will get an idea from this.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:06 am

While I don't understand a lot of this thread it is enjoyable, eggspecially the puns.

I think you have to observe something without assumption first, then base an assumption on the observation, then test it to see if you are right. But things are so unpredictable when you don't know anything about them, so you always have to keep questioning and testing and observing - it never ends.

I suspect an underlying theme in this thread is faith and the assumption of a creator. That by observing this "wonder of creation" we can assume that it was intelligently created. I would say that intelligence is the way of biological beings - the world has come to be this way because it's what works. What didn't work is gone. Nature has the intelligence, not God.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 9:30 am

androbot01 wrote:
I suspect an underlying theme in this thread is faith and the assumption of a creator. That by observing this "wonder of creation" we can assume that it was intelligently created .

Yes, that is the core religious assumption- that intelligence is required to create order.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 10:44 am

Janissy wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I suspect an underlying theme in this thread is faith and the assumption of a creator. That by observing this "wonder of creation" we can assume that it was intelligently created .

Yes, that is the core religious assumption- that intelligence is required to create order.

I kinda think we project our human intelligence as a way to bring order to something that is much grander. But the intelligence of nature is not created so much as simply existing. The intelligence is our interpretation and we tend to think in terms of creation.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 11:19 am

Assumptions are the core of science. If there was no assumptions we would still live in caves unable to start a fire.

The "what if" question leads to "Sounds reasonable. Let's check if it works." conclusion. Current science is the effect of checking all the assumptions people made so far and figuring out the most accurate ones. And we still can't be sure we are 100% right. People were thinking Earth is the center of the world and all planets as well as the Sun are going around us. That was the science some time ago. Not to mention the "fact" that Earth was "flat" for a long, long time and it was the only right answer because "otherwise people on the other side would fall down". As we know it wasn't right at all - but scientists were sure it is and everyone who thought otherwise was considered crazy even if he had some calculations to prove it.

What if what we assume (scientifically) now is also not as accurate as we think it is? We still need people who make new assumptions and try them out. That's how science progresses. That's how human race learns. A new discovery is simply an assumption that got proved to be more accurate than the best assumption we had so far. And it still stays an assumption (just gets the name of knowledge) because we don't know if someone in the future won't prove it wrong and give even more accurate assumption.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Assumptions are the core of science. If there was no assumptions we would still live in caves unable to start a fire.

The "what if" question leads to "Sounds reasonable. Let's check if it works." conclusion. Current science is the effect of checking all the assumptions people made so far and figuring out the most accurate ones. And we still can't be sure we are 100% right. People were thinking Earth is the center of the world and all planets as well as the Sun are going around us. That was the science some time ago. Not to mention the "fact" that Earth was "flat" for a long, long time and it was the only right answer because "otherwise people on the other side would fall down". As we know it wasn't right at all - but scientists were sure it is and everyone who thought otherwise was considered crazy even if he had some calculations to prove it.

What if what we assume (scientifically) now is also not as accurate as we think it is? We still need people who make new assumptions and try them out. That's how science progresses. That's how human race learns. A new discovery is simply an assumption that got proved to be more accurate than the best assumption we had so far. And it still stays an assumption (just gets the name of knowledge) because we don't know if someone in the future won't prove it wrong and give even more accurate assumption.

I think that you are using the word 'assumption' to mean more like "hypothesis". A hypothesis is a suggested explanation-"the sun might be the real center of the planetary system". If after repeated experimentation its proven that this new fangled helioentric idea (as craZEE as it may sound) explains the facts better than the old geocentric idea-then its accepted.

Then you can build on that to further investigate the planetary system. And even use the orbit of the earth around the sun as two opposite vantage points to measure the distance to nearby stars. And so on. So you would use previous knowledge as "assummptions" to build on. Except they arent really "assumptions" because they have been proven through repeated observation- so they are not "things accepted as facts without evidence".

However there is one thing. The way science is done it does in fact make one assumption as a methodology- the assumption being: that there are naturalistic causes for things. You do 'assume' that the moon gets dark during a lunar eclipse because of some naturalistic thing happening (like maybe the earth casting a shadow). You dont assume some big monster is eating the moon. If ebola spreads you assume its because of some naturalistic cause- something naturalistic is causing germs to spread- not that God is smiting us for the sin of playing cards on Sunday.

Certain individuals apparently have a problem with that assumption, but thats how science has to be done. Otherwise there are no rules, and we would never learn anything.

You can be open to supernatural causes-but if you seek the supernatural you still assume naturalism when you actually use the scientific method. You find your supernatural cause by trying to DISprove the supernatural by finding any and all naturalistic causes for the phenom you observe. If that fails then-maybe you found something metaphysical. Maybe ebola is not caused by microbial pathogens after all- maybe God really is mad at us for drinking whiskey and card playing.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 6:16 am

I think you're pretty close as far as the assumption vs. hypothesis in science goes, naturalplastic.

However, these bods are determined to make assumptions some kind of "science tool" because their "science" is entirely based on ideological assumptions that they know are indefensible and they will come at any subterfuge to ensure that their ideological assumptions are not subjected to any reasonable or scientific scrutiny.

Anyhow, it's clear that any reasonable investigation or debate about the issue is not going to happen, so I thought I'd try a different tack.

Arty, I went back and found your claimed "refutation" of the entropy argument. To be honest, it came from the dark ages and it is so easy to falsify with observation, experiment and deduction that it now only used by lounge chair and bar stool "experts" who gain their knowledge of everything from media sales pitches.

I'll try and help you get more up-to-date with your strategy and rhetoric.

To sell a nonsense you need to com the multitude with much more esoteric claims... the kind that only the wisest inductees can "see". Claims that anyone with moderate knowledge and intelligence can dispute and refute are only a trap for the most naïve and credulous.

Now days, the "answer" to the entropy problem involves unfalsifiable speculations like "worm holes" going to and fro an infinite number of "multiverses" where entropy works in reverse then popping up on Earth and in the Universe all charged up with "anti-entropy". Who could devise an experiment to falsify that claim??? If it can't be disproved then it is proved... right?

It might surprise you to find that there area great many genuine scientists that would dispute that; but that will never bother you because you have defined "science" as only that which supports your ideology.

Wikipedia wrote:
Falsifiability or refutability of a statement, hypothesis, or theory is an inherent possibility to prove it to be false. A statement is called falsifiable if it is possible to conceive an observation or an argument which proves the statement in question to be false. In this sense, falsify is synonymous with nullify, meaning not "to commit fraud" but "show to be false". Some philosophers argue that science must be falsifiable.[1]

For example, by the problem of induction, no number of confirming observations can verify a universal generalization, such as All swans are white, yet it is logically possible to falsify it by observing a single black swan. Thus, the term falsifiability is sometimes synonymous to testability. Some statements, such as It will be raining here in one million years, are falsifiable in principle, but not in practice.[2]

The concern with falsifiability gained attention by way of philosopher of science Karl Popper's scientific epistemology "falsificationism". Popper stresses the problem of demarcation—distinguishing the scientific from the unscientific—and makes falsifiability the demarcation criterion, such that what is unfalsifiable is classified as unscientific, and the practice of declaring an unfalsifiable theory to be scientifically true is pseudoscience. This is often epitomized in Wolfgang Pauli famously saying, of an argument that fails to be scientific because it cannot be falsified by experiment, "it is not only not right, it is not even wrong!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm

Oldavid wrote:
I
Arty, I went back and found your claimed "refutation" of the entropy argument. To be honest, it came from the dark ages and it is so easy to falsify with observation, experiment and deduction that it now only used by lounge chair and bar stool "experts" who gain their knowledge of everything from media sales pitches.

Ok falsify it

DentArthurDent wrote:
I really dont think you get it, you do not seem to understand the full nature of the amount of energy coming from the sun nor the amount of energy required for the evolution of all life on this planet. I can furnish you with the maths if you like, but essentially the the amount of entropy for all lifeforms on the planet would be around -302 j/k yet the amount of energy coming into the system from the sun is around 420 x 10 to the power of 12 J/K. In short your argument is nonsense. Areas of the universe can decrease in entropy so long as other areas increase by a greater amount, entropy is not universal in the sense of the a steady increase throughout all areas of the universe. Another canard you are guilty of is to assume evolution is all about increased complexity, it is not, it is about adaptability. And on a final note it's also necessary to deal with the canard that entropy equals 'disorder'. This is a non-rigorous view of entropy that scientists engaged in precise work discarded some time ago. Not least because there are documented examples of systems that have a precisely calculated entropy increase after spontaneously self-organising into well-defined structures. Phospholipids are the classic example of such a system - a suspension of phospholipids in aqueous solution will spontaneously self-assemble into structures such as micelles, bilayer sheets and liposomes upon receiving an energy input consisting of nothing more than gentle agitation. To Quote a paper from 1998

Gentle Force Of Entropy Bridges Disciplines by David Kestenbaum, Science, 279: 1849 (20th March 1998)
Kestenbaum, 1998 wrote:Normally, entropy is a force of disorder rather than organization. But physicists have recently explored the ways in which an increase in entropy in one part of a system can force another part into greater order. The findings have rekindled speculation that living cells might take advantage of this little-known trick of physics.

And from wikibooks:Structural Biochemistry/Lipids/Micelles

Micelles form spontaneously in water, as stated above this spontaneous arrangement is due to the amphipatic nature of the molecule. The driving force for this arrangement is the hydrophobic interactions the molecules experience. When the hydrophobic tails are not sequestered from water this results in in the water forming an organized cage around the hydrophobic tail and this entropy is unfavorable. However, when the lipids form micelles the hydrophobic tails interact with each other, and this interaction releases water from the hydrophobic tail and this increases the disorder of the system, and this is increase in entropy is favorable

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:41 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Ok falsify it

I can't, Arty, because I'm too afraid to look into a microscope and see the diatoms turning themselves into dinosaurs and I can't examine all the thousands of generations of fruit flies that have been irradiated with every imaginable radiation because they've turned themselves into spacemen, built spaceships, and gone off to colonise other worlds in the farthest reaches of the Universe.

I'm also too afraid to start my motor car in case it sucks energy out of the Sun and overflows the petrol tank all over the road causing a traffic hazard; or maybe, worse still, it might suck energy out of the Sun and assemble itself into a spaceship and dump me on the Moon without any food, or water, or air.

The world is a very scary place now that you've abolished entropy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm

Well...at least you guys are on a first-name basis now!

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

Oldavid wrote:

Explain how you come to this conclusion!

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:32 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

Explain how you come to this conclusion!
:lol: Put your glasses on and read above. :lol: