Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 2:59 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
The Japanese are pigs for valuing their disgusting gustatory tradition over the extinction of these highly intelligent and beautiful beings.
Whales are not very intelligent, and the Japanese are not hunting endangered species. Tender whale meat is delicious.
So you'd base your moral and eating decisions on intelligence?

Not primarily, and perhaps not at all, but you seem to think it is relevant since you found room for it in your little outburst.

0_equals_true wrote:
Japanese do target endangered species...

No they do not.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:26 pm

Humanaut wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

No they do not.

I think you are correct. Whales are not endangered, but some species of whale are endangered. The whales that the Japanese have been going after in the southern ocean are, if I understand, not considered to be endangered.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 3:48 pm

eric76 wrote:
Whales are not endangered, but some species of whale are endangered.

Some people seem to think that all whales are endangered, but this is not the case. Here is a rough overview.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 4:14 pm

Humanaut wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Whales are not endangered, but some species of whale are endangered.

Some people seem to think that all whales are endangered, but this is not the case. Here is a rough overview.

I like to tell those people that I'm thinking about converting my car to run on whale oil.

Unfortunately, the idea is so far out that they always know I'm joking.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:34 pm

eric76 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

No they do not.

I think you are correct. Whales are not endangered, but some species of whale are endangered. The whales that the Japanese have been going after in the southern ocean are, if I understand, not considered to be endangered.

The humpback whale is endangered, the grey whale is endangered. These have been detected in Japanese markets through DNA.

I said Japanese hunt them, whether they do this under their own laws is another question.

There was a complicity in breaking international rules prior to 2001. For instance Japanese were required to sell J-Stock wales locally rather then directly to commercial companies. Meaning they would avoid detection.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

eric76 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am saddened and troubled one of the Japanese hostages ISIL or ISIS, whatever, are holding was recently executed. Japanese are great and truly some of the nicest people in the world. It's heartbreaking these sick people would do this. It takes a real sicko to be that heartless imo.

In Krakauer's account, the lone climber, (whom Krakauer believes to be Paljor) was still moaning and frostbitten from exposure over the night. The Japanese climbers ignored him and set out for the summit. After ascending the second step, they ran into the other two climbers, probably Samanla and Morup. Krakauer notes "No words were passed, No water, food or oxygen exchanged hands. The Japanese moved on ...".
That was real nice of them wasn't it.

Aren't all people who climb the Mount Everest nutjobs? I think it's more that subset of looney adventurers that does crap like this, and not specifically Japanese climbers.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:50 pm

Define "nicest".

They do have a somewhat structured and respectful to others, culture, but that's only appearances, and like all people, you'll find the good and bad to be just as common as most other places with a similar homogenized society.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:57 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

No they do not.

The humpback whale is endangered, the grey whale is endangered. These have been detected in Japanese markets through DNA.

I said Japanese hunt them, whether they do this under their own laws is another question.

There was a complicity in breaking international rules prior to 2001. For instance Japanese were required to sell J-Stock wales locally rather then directly to commercial companies. Meaning they would avoid detection.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpback_whale:
Quote:
This species is considered "least concern" from a conservation standpoint, as of 2008. This is an improvement from vulnerable in 1996 and endangered as recently as 1988. Most monitored stocks of humpback whales have rebounded well since the end of commercial whaling, such as the North Atlantic, where stocks are now believed to be approaching levels similar to those before hunting began. However, the species is considered endangered in some countries, including the United States.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 6:59 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

I don't think the humpback whale is classified as endangered, and only the Northwest Pacific population of the grey whale is listed as endangered by Wikipedia.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 7:18 pm

Humanaut wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

I don't think the humpback whale is classified as endangered, and only the Northwest Pacific population of the grey whale is listed as endangered by Wikipedia.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mam ... whale.html

Humback has only recently been moved to least concern by various bodies.

That range for grey whale is not out of scope for Japan.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 7:40 pm

We can always speculate, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as commercial whaling is kept at sustainable levels.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 8:55 am

Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
The Japanese are pigs for valuing their disgusting gustatory tradition over the extinction of these highly intelligent and beautiful beings.
Whales are not very intelligent, and the Japanese are not hunting endangered species. Tender whale meat is delicious.
So you'd base your moral and eating decisions on intelligence?

Quote:
Not primarily, and perhaps not at all, but you seem to think it is relevant since you found room for it in your little outburst.

I'm sorry you see my opposition of your thoughts as an "outburst", but can understand your ingrained opinion; after all we all have them:-) They're part of living and learning.

I also wouldn't eat chimpanzees or orangutans either. Some cultures have little revulsion about eating anything without regard to traits like intelligence, so I understand where you're coming from, I just don't happen to agree. No reason for you to become defensive about it.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 10:17 am

ZenDen wrote:
I also wouldn't eat chimpanzees or orangutans either.

Do you eat pork?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Oh I forgot, apparently we're not of the nicest people.

Well, you do insist on defending yourselves when a neighbour wants to steal the Litani River from you, if you don't want to be branded terrorists, you have to submit to their terror.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 12:25 pm

My impression is that in general, the Japanese are a quite polite and often well-mannered people and many Japanese, individually, are very nice.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

Humanaut wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
I also wouldn't eat chimpanzees or orangutans either.

Do you eat pork?

Didn't you like my post? Please be a good poster and answer other's posts before changing the subject in your preferred direction. I think you're getting more upset than the situation would normally call for.

I eat what I eat and avoid what I avoid for personal reasons. You don't agree with my personal reasons any more than I agree with yours.

I used to think more like you; now my viewpoint has changed. Some may say my present viewpoint is wrong and I say "so what." At least I've demonstrated, to myself, that I can change and learn. I hope you can too.