usa is mass-killing people and nobody cares

Page 6 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm

Anyway, if Europeans are so jealous of the Super-bowl, why is it that American 'football' isn't a mainstream sport outside of America?

American football is basically rugby for sissies anyway.

My deviant art profile

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:26 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Anyway, if Europeans are so jealous of the Super-bowl, why is it that American 'football' isn't a mainstream sport outside of America?

I have a suspicion that Americans invented a sport of their own so they wouldn't have to compete with anyone. You know, like the British did with cricket 8)

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

trollcatman wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

I have a suspicion that Americans invented a sport of their own so they wouldn't have to compete with anyone. You know, like the British did with cricket 8)

You have to understand that the UK is a country that is deeply fragmented on class lines. I know that people in America don't get that concept.

Cricket is a sport of the spectator gentry, like polo. Its rarely seen to be enjoyed by, much less played by the ordinary oiks.

Anyway its hardly fair to say that Cricket is only popular in the UK. its huge in the commonwealth nations, its the national sport of India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and the Caribbean nations. England competes against all these sides at international level.

When was the last time the international USA American football team competed against another country?

My deviant art profile

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm

thomas81 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

You have to understand that the UK is a country that is deeply fragmented on class lines. I know that people in America don't get that concept.

Cricket is a sport of the spectator gentry, like polo. Its rarely seen to be enjoyed by, much less played by the ordinary oiks.

Anyway its hardly fair to say that Cricket is only popular in the UK. its huge in the commonwealth nations, its the national sport of India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and the Caribbean nations. England competes against all these sides at international level.

When was the last time the international USA American football team competed against another country?

So it's just the British and a bunch of ex-colonials then. I don't care about sports anyway.
As for the UK being class-based, it is strange that English does not have the t-v distinction anymore. In English everyone refers to each other in the formal form, even between class lines.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 11:01 pm

If Europeans are not obsessed with American culture, then why are America-bashing threads like this almost always started by some disgruntled European person?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 11:33 pm

pezar wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, of course corporate America is worthy and deserving of the world's hatred - hell, even us Americans justifiably hate them!

Yes well in other countries american corporations take their brigandage and bastardry to stratospheric levels. In South America for instance, it is common knowledge among locals in countries such as Colombia that Coca Cola has been dumping harmful waste in rivers and colluded with local fascist paramilitaries to have trade union leaders killed. Its also well documented that other companies like Nike have profited from near-slave labour in South East Asia. Have they tried that in America yet?

Haymarket Square ring a bell? People never talk about how anarchist labor leaders were executed, imprisoned, and even deported (even US citizens were deported!) after. And then there's the Wobblies and Joe Hill, who went to the grave after being accused of a crime he didn't commit because he was making whoopee with a married woman at the time. Rather than rat her out, he died. It wasn't until FDR that the persecution stopped. And then Reagan did with a pen what the guns of thousands of Pinkertons failed at.

I know about Haymarket, and as well of the Wobblies and the death of Joe Hill. My grandfather was a Wobbly, and my dad had been involved with the Steel Workers of America.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 11:34 pm

white_as_snow wrote:
USA has invaded many countrys and killed millions. They drop a atom-bomb on Japan.

Just taking OP's first sentence and my comment as follows:

Yes. The US did drop two atom bombs on Japan. So why did the US drop atom bombs on Japan? Just think about it for a moment before you accuse the US of mass murder.

Unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbour. US warships sent to the bottom of the ocean. Thousands of US servicemen killed.

Invasion of The Philippines. Invasion of Burma. Invasion of Singapore. Invasion of Papua New Guinea.Invasion of China.

Ten of thousands of allied servicemen taken as Japanese prisoners of war and then systematically starved to death and the healthy ones taken as slaves. Woman raped and taken as concubines.

Chinese civilians and prisoners of war taken to medical facilities and experimented on.

Do you propose that the US should have invited the Japanese to take over the US and do to the US what the Japanese were doing to South East Asia?

Take all the time you want to think about it before you make your next wild assertion about the US.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2015, 5:11 am

thomas81 wrote:

The BBC doesnt have any respect among the British public (after the way it enabled Savile-gate), much less an ability to keep its finger on the pulse.

You are out of touch.

The News at Ten had 30% of the viewing share on Sunday, for example. People obviously trust the BBC News because it consistently outperforms ITV or Channel 4 or any other channel.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:32 am

The lowest figure I found of death cause by Imperial Japan was 5 million, and there are estimates as high as 20 million, for deaths attributed to Japanese actions.

These are not numbers to be scoffed at.

Dropping the bomb, was probably not the right decision, however we have to consider the stage the world war was at, it was not clear if the war dragged on, and if there was another imperial power coming into the mix that the US, would continued to have a capable defence.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 7:37 am

I wonder if there is a recent example of mass killing from the US. What sorts of numbers are we talking about?

The thread is called "usa is mass-killing people and nobody cares" after all.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 7:55 am

trollcatman wrote:
So it's just the British and a bunch of ex-colonials then. I don't care about sports anyway.
As for the UK being class-based, it is strange that English does not have the t-v distinction anymore. In English everyone refers to each other in the formal form, even between class lines.

Not sure how kindly those countries would take to be referred to as 'ex-colonials' especially the Indians. You wont find many colonials on the India or Pakistan cricket squad.

:lol:

My deviant art profile

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:07 am

thomas81 wrote:
Not sure how kindly those countries would take to be referred to as 'ex-colonials' especially the Indians. You wont find many colonials on the India or Pakistan cricket squad.

You have just disproved your own point, in countries where cricket is most popular, which is not the UK. It is not an elitist sport.

Have you been to India? I have. Cricket is played everywhere, across all social divides. There are many social issue in India, but cricket transverse all devides.

Btw Polo, is a game from Asia, and it variants are played by more different people in Asia than just the elite. In Afghanistan they have a game involving a goats head, which is a polo like game.

It is actually thought to be Persian in origin, and that would be another colonial power that spread the sport.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:08 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I wonder if there is a recent example of mass killing from the US. What sorts of numbers are we talking about?

The thread is called "usa is mass-killing people and nobody cares" after all.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:16 am

0_equals_true wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

You have just disproved your own point, in countries where cricket is most popular, which is not the UK. It is not an elitist sport.

You misread what i said. I said its an elitist sport in the UK. Go to any deprived estate in any British city and count the number of lads playing cricket rather than football.

My deviant art profile

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 8:31 am

thomas81 wrote:
You misread what i said. I said its an elitist sport in the UK. Go to any deprived estate in any British city and count the number of lads playing cricket rather than football.

You realise that what became association football was once an elitist sport played by public (now called private/independent) school boys?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 9:37 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
heavenlyabyss wrote:
So the US killed over a hundred thousands of people with a single atomic bomb.

Now, let's discount the reasons that the US launched the bomb for just one second.

Think about it one hundred thousand f*****g people.

Just think about it. It's amazing that the whole world is not in a constant state of trauma. The only way we can be proud of such a perverse act (even if there might have been some justification for it) is extreme cognitive dissonance.

We just f**k each other over all the time. And life f*****g sucks sometimes.

Cannot say I feel any pride about that incident or that I agree with it even....but obviously cannot be traumatized by something that happened long before I was ever thought of...That said the first one was bad enough, I certainly do not think two where necessary. Either way there are good things about this country and bad things about it, just like anywhere else though most governments are corrupt.

My father was in the Pacific theatre during WWII. I've wondered at times whether he would have come home if we hadn't used the bomb. And I'll guess many thousands of other "war babies" may have thought the same. It was called "war" and they "threw the first 'punch.'"

The Japanese would have done the same to us if we'd delayed and they'd deployed a/their bomb first.