Page 2 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 10:04 pm

No. Not if raised and slaughtered humanely.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:10 am

Pizzagal3000 wrote:
The answer to this question for me is, yes. But what do you guys think?

I think you haven't presented a logical argument to support your position.

Quote:
Sadly, as I expected, a thread I had posted similar to this one has been removed.

That tends to happen when you break the forum rules. You say you expected it to be removed, which suggests you were aware of the rules before posting. This leads to one of two possible conclusions:

1: You deliberately broke the forum rules, in expectation of a locked thread, so that you could attempt to garner sympathy.
2: You were unaware of the forum rules prior to posting and have chosen to attempt to garner sympathy, despite being informed precisely why your other thread was locked.

Either way, you're being disingenuous here.

Quote:
I guess Imma have to tremendously tone down my true, raw feelings regarding subjects such as these to avoid risks of infractions to being banned.

You could, at the very least, stop being dishonest. It's difficult to have a productive discourse otherwise.

Quote:
Anyways, I personally think its wrong that I cannot express such concerns without backlash.

You don't believe you should have to follow the rules. Does this apply everywhere, or is it specific to this forum?

Quote:
It seems people are so set in their ways, they don't even want to consider the small possibility that eating other life forms is not a moral way of life, imo.

Which people? Is this a strawman against the mod who locked your other thread? Is "people" an implication that we're all in on the 'conspiracy'?

Quote:
But what do you guys think? Are there any animal lovers on here who might even struggle with this contemplation?

I think you're fighting a losing battle.

Quote:
Please comment. Thanks.

You're welcome.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:22 am

I'm an animal, and animals tend to eat other animals. Life feeds on life. It's not necessarily right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 7:14 am

It's a dog-eat-dog world, after all!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2015, 7:33 am

if meet eating happens the met should if at all possible be sourced from 'ethical sources'. Profit in almost all cases comes before care for animals, and that balance i think is very uncaring. Humans dominate the planet in most ways, if everyone were a vegetarian, we would still have to kill millions of animals, as there is not even planet space. We all can not live in harmony. The animal kingdom balances itself out through evolution consuming one another, which is a necessary part of the eco system. In the UK where i am from, cows for example, simply wouldn't exist here except perhaps in petting zoos. The ones remaining could not be left to breed and nobody would want one if there is not money to be made from them. Cows roaming around the roads would also be a bit of a problem. We would have to sterilise the existing ones, then just wait for them to die. The same for many other animals. Meat eaters allow the choice to be vegetarian, but a planet of vegetarians with our current, and not about to change soon capitalist society, and instinct for survival on a small planet with few resources, make a universal vegetarian choice self destructive.
The utmost care should be taken however for the lives of animals that we keep and kill.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 8:51 am

Indeed. The ethical treatment of meat animals should be among the highest of concerns, both during their lives and at slaughter. This means clean water, healthy food (no scraps or "animal by-products"), plenty of room to roam and exercise, and a painless death at the end.

Otherwise, there are no moral concerns at all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 12:44 pm

Nothing wrong with it as long as it is not an endangered species.When it comes to endangered animals thats when its wrong and also that's when I start to stand up and get angry and offended.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 12:55 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Nothing wrong with it as long as it is not an endangered species.When it comes to endangered animals thats when its wrong and also that's when I start to stand up and get angry and offended.

Then you've never had BBQ spotted owl or roasted eagle and mashed potatoes with eagle gravy.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm

Because of this I'm a proud member of PETA!

People Eating Tasty Animals :)

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2015, 10:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

Then you've never had BBQ spotted owl or roasted eagle and mashed potatoes with eagle gravy.

Not sure if horrified or awed due to eating FREEDOM. :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 11:08 pm

This is a topic that will never be resolved, ever. I feel like I can't even mention I eat things that look like animals, like crackers, without people thinking what a horrible person I am, and whenever I say I love animals I feel like a total liar because I eat meat, even if the animals were treated humanely. But I believe this is how we were made, we were meant to be omnivores, and that if vegetables were cute and cuddly it would wrong to eat them too.

I've tried some of those meatless products, and I have to say that unfortunately there are reasons why people eat the real thing. One time I bought vegetarian meatballs for spaghetti. They were decent until the next day when they tasted like big blobs of grease. I would rather eat spaghetti with just the sauce. Another time I bought vegan shredded cheddar cheese. It was like shredded cheddar elastic bands.

There are animals that are herbivores but they are not always peaceful or gentle - like rhinos and hippos.
Dogs and cats are carnivores and if you put them on a vegetarian diet they'd probably die from malnutrition.
I read that PETA actually steals and murders people's pets. They are the definition of animal *wrongs* activists.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 12:48 am

I've thought about going vegetarian a few times, more for health reasons than anything pertaining to animal welfare, but I just like meat too much to do so. :P Plus, all sorts of things that we use in our day to day lives are derived from animals in some way.

I mean, just look at all the different things that are derived from cattle:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 1:05 am

No, life as we know it would not exist if not for the competition of species.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 1:17 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
This is a topic that will never be resolved, ever. I feel like I can't even mention I eat things that look like animals, like crackers, without people thinking what a horrible person I am, and whenever I say I love animals I feel like a total liar because I eat meat, even if the animals were treated humanely. ...

I have plants that have names and that I care for and tend and really treat with love.
But no one calls me a hypocrite when I eat a salad- I don't feel like one either. I don't think a person is a hypocrite for owning a dog and eating a steak. [or any variation on said theme]

I do understand feeling like that though. There are some other things [outside this discussion] that I have trouble not conflating into the same issue so I end up feeling like I'm a hypocrite or a liar. I mean, it's not the same thing, but you should decide truly on the issue and once you do give yourself permission to be ok with whatever side of the argument you fall on. You'd feel better?

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 1:22 am

Raptor wrote:

I'm vegetarian but that's hilarious.

As a middle-aged, old hag, I don't really care what people do with their food. 'Eyes on your own plate' is my philosophy. If I was living in the country and didn't have access to vegetarian fare or could raise and kill my own I would likely go back to eating meat. I don't agree with industrialised animal farming so I don't eat meat. What other people do and don't agree to is really up to them, especially with something as intimate as what we eat.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 1:37 am

For me, certainly not. I live for eating meat.