Page 5 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 6:23 am

ConcreteDinosaur wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I've thought about going vegetarian a few times, more for health reasons than anything pertaining to animal welfare, but I just like meat too much to do so. :P Plus, all sorts of things that we use in our day to day lives are derived from animals in some way.

I mean, just look at all the different things that are derived from cattle:

My sister is a Vegan, she keeps trying to put her cat on a vegetarian diet, luckily her girlfriend is not as stupid and stops her. Some quarn and tofu products are ok though. Eating veg can be a nice light alternative sometimes. When i eat jelly babies you should see the looks from mothers; the condemnation :p

Your sister doesn't understand that cats are carnivores, and thus can only eat animal products? :?

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2015, 10:27 am

ConcreteDinosaur wrote:
My sister is a Vegan, she keeps trying to put her cat on a vegetarian diet, luckily her girlfriend is not as stupid and stops her.

If I knew about this, animal control or other relevant authorities would be contacted. Attempting to force a pet to eat a diet incompatible with its biology for stupid ideological reasons is pet abuse, plain and simple.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Awesome! I wish there was a way to "like" comments! This was the best one for me.

I don't know why there were about two different members I noticed that attempted to make me feel guilty by using The Word of God against my belief not to ever ingest another living creature. But they should know that as I have stated, "I want to know what you guys THINK." DO NOT tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do. I mean, one guy was like, "DO NOT DEFY THE WORD OF GOD." I'm like thinkin, " What the hell....Or else what?"

The Holy Bible was surely tampered with. I won't get into who tampered with it and where it REALLY came from, because it might get this thread deleted or me banned, so I will stop right there.

But I have a right to feel how I feel and say what I think just like you guys. SO DON'T YOU EVER TELL ME WHAT TO DO! PLEASE! :D

I am glad you liked my comment. That was a medium comment. Apollonius thought in a similar way, of mine. Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw shared that too, Leo Tolstoy, Voltaire, Plato, Albert Einstein, and Nikola Tesla. If they were in the present they would be vegan as it is now.

"Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty"

But, yes, of course, everybody can do as they please, as long as they can do as they please.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2015, 3:24 pm

Sherry221B wrote:
Quote:
Awesome! I wish there was a way to "like" comments! This was the best one for me.

I don't know why there were about two different members I noticed that attempted to make me feel guilty by using The Word of God against my belief not to ever ingest another living creature. But they should know that as I have stated, "I want to know what you guys THINK." DO NOT tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do. I mean, one guy was like, "DO NOT DEFY THE WORD OF GOD." I'm like thinkin, " What the hell....Or else what?"

The Holy Bible was surely tampered with. I won't get into who tampered with it and where it REALLY came from, because it might get this thread deleted or me banned, so I will stop right there.

But I have a right to feel how I feel and say what I think just like you guys. SO DON'T YOU EVER TELL ME WHAT TO DO! PLEASE! :D

I am glad you liked my comment. That was a medium comment. Apollonius thought in a similar way, of mine. Leonardo da Vinci was a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw shared that too, Leo Tolstoy, Voltaire, Plato, Albert Einstein, and Nikola Tesla. If they were in the present they would be vegan as it is now.

"Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty"

But, yes, of course, everybody can do as they please, as long as they can do as they please.

I just did a quick google search to verify your 3 of your claims, it seems that Einstein was a vegetarian for 1 year out of his 76 year life, and evidence for Leonardo da Vinci and Plato's vegetarianism is scant at best. Making false claims doesn't help your case.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

drh1138 wrote:
ConcreteDinosaur wrote:
My sister is a Vegan, she keeps trying to put her cat on a vegetarian diet, luckily her girlfriend is not as stupid and stops her.

If I knew about this, animal control or other relevant authorities would be contacted. Attempting to force a pet to eat a diet incompatible with its biology for stupid ideological reasons is pet abuse, plain and simple.

I totally agree, its her ideological reasons that justified her attempts, they will however not affect the cat, as she has a more sensible partner to prevent her.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 3:36 pm

Hitler was a vegetarian. Not to imply anything about vegetarians in general.

bearded1
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

I don't think so they are nutritious and delicious.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2015, 4:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Hitler was a vegetarian. Not to imply anything about vegetarians in general.

He was prescribed a vegetarian diet by his doctor for flatulence, but he didn't stick to it very well.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 6:27 pm

sly279 wrote:
if you can afford to eat non meat and animal products and have the ability to all the good for you. just don't judge those who can't :(

But isn't meat usually much more expensive than other foods? I think people would actually save money by going vegetarian or half-vegetarian.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm

ConcreteDinosaur wrote:
drh1138 wrote:
ConcreteDinosaur wrote:

I totally agree, its her ideological reasons that justified her attempts, they will however not affect the cat, as she has a more sensible partner to prevent her.

I think there are some types of vegan or vegetarian cat food, but I don't know how safe that is.
If cats don't eat enough taurine (in meat, fish) they will go blind.

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm

Apparently 'veganpet' is the vegan pet food that has taurine for cats, etc. I think forcing a carnivorous animal to be vegan is wholly bizarre, but I guess they put a lot of work into making sure it has complete nutrition for cats. I suppose a cat being forced to eat a vegan diet that is complete nutrition is better than a cat being euthanised because nobody will look after it.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm

trollcatman wrote:
sly279 wrote:
if you can afford to eat non meat and animal products and have the ability to all the good for you. just don't judge those who can't :(

But isn't meat usually much more expensive than other foods? I think people would actually save money by going vegetarian or half-vegetarian.

it is but all food is, meat is far cheaper then organic veggies, chicken is cheapist, but low cost beef has gone up but the better stuff hasn't so its 4 for 85% or 5 for 97% use to be 2.50 for 85%, mind you this is for a pound. and all this is "fresh"

I usually buy tv dinners for cost savings. really all food is going up. the health food/vegan store prices are super high and most their stuff goes bad after 2 days or less.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

I'm not sure I understand the % things. Edit: I googled it and I see it means the amount of meat in the product, I understand it now.
There are also some fairly cheap vegetables that will keep long, I have cans and pots of beans, red cabbage and pea soup here, all of those are not expensive and fairly healthy too. And I have a pack of sauerkraut here too, that will probably never go bad. All those things are also really easy to prepare, I don't like cooking much.
Maybe it's different in the Netherlands, but I find vegetables to be really cheap here, and meat really expensive.

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2015, 8:35 pm

Humans are hunter-gatherers.............Myself ? For over 45 years I have followed George Oshawa's Macrobiotic diet. In that, everything boils down to a balance of yin and yang. so one eats what one needs to maintain that balance. It varies with the season too. Animal food is not necessary, but ALL foods are "allowed". Kinda outdated, but it has served me well since I was a 20+yr. hippie So, I'll have some animal food weeekly, but I also go for a lot of the organic stuff at the local Amish market. They have daily fresh fish from up in Tampa that I eat a lot. Good yang winter food.

Artificius
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2015, 10:41 pm

Eating animals isn't wrong in and of itself, but should there come a time when meat that traditionally would have been part of an animal to start with can otherwise and easily be obtained, such as mass-produced in-vitro or vat-grown meat, that may become a more ethically dubious position. Most of the ethical problems associated with eating meat don't come from eating animal tissue, they come from eating what that tissue was once part of. Muscle tissue (probably) does not feel pain, clusters of nerves and the brains/minds they connect to do. So if they manage to scale-up the process for culturing meat in-vitro, I could no longer claim that there were no great and easy alternatives to my hunger for animal meat, and I'd happily make the shift, even if the taste was only half as good to start.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 12:52 am

trollcatman wrote:
sly279 wrote:

You'd think so right?
I don't know about anywhere else in the country or any specific stores anyone else shops at. I live in Boston and I pick my stores by their clearance/markdown system because right now I am on foodstamps [don't even start on me with that] and I am disabled to the point I have no way to even make a small amount of income other than my disability benefits. So I have to be pretty particular about what I buy, when, and how I balance it all out.

Meat is almost always marked down in stores- pretty much everyday there is a markdown time in the meat section. This can be anywhere from 25-60%. Guess when I buy meat?
Fresh vegetables will get marked down, but it is not as often and if they are, you need to use them IMMEDIATELY. So you can't buy them in bulk and store them. Freezing vegetables often destroys them. You can buy markdown meat and freeze it for pretty long. If you buy frozen veggies, it's still hard to buy in bulk and get value and they also tend to freezer burn pretty often. Veggies and produce in general is difficult to freeze because the cell walls break down and they often get mushy and gross.

So you end up with buying fresh veggies or produce, which you can't really buy in bulk as a single person because you can't store them for that long now can you eat that many to make the value.
You buy them in cans to supplement- but the ones that are in water are often less veggies for the same price and the ones that are not in plain water are a lot of sodium. Also, it's super unhealthy to only eat canned vegetables. People who have limited budgets to this extent ALSO tend to not have super great health so this just leads them further into the hole.

There are also frequently other kinds of discounts and specials for meat, poultry, fish, pork that you never see the equivalent savings of in produce. Another example being the ability to buy "ends" at the deli- when the workers at the deli run down the large piece of meat they are slicing, some stores will sell you the end piece for a very deep discount.

So, if you are buying at face price, depends.
If you are shopping like your life depends on it, then meat, etc is way cheaper- at least in the Boston area. And that's all i can speak for right now.
---
*clapclapclapclap*
...and that's how you get to llama school!