Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 2:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Imagine a society where both genders are completely separated relationships are illegal and if caught both are sentenced to life in prison? All reproduction is made by artificial means for both parties and at birth are assigned to their society.

Okay. So I am sitting here imagining it.

So what?

Where are you going with this?

Why would the state do this?
Nevermind-let me fill in the blanks for you with my own elaboration.

Okay presumably the "state" in this dystopian future you're talking about wants to control human reproduction (kinda like farmers wanna control the reproduction of their livestock). THAT would make for a rather interesting sci fi drama.

They COULD go the segregation route (you're talking about outdoing even Saudi Arabia in gender apartheid).

But in this high tech future what this state might actually do would be to sterilize everyone when theyre young (but first take samples of your gametes and store them in a bank for latter possible use), and then just let everyone mingle as normal. In fact there might even less inhibition about fraternizing with the opposite sex than now because no one could get pregnant (in or out of wedlock)even illegally.

Then as you grow up the state might decide whether they want to reproduce or not- and match your gametes with those of an appropriate test tube "mate". And that's how new badies are concieved. How they are then raised- you will have to explain to us.
A society where both genders are forbidden to come in contact with eachother period and I sopposed raised as livestock the leader of the state would be a 2 party system both representatives of the gender with a fascist policy. I guess a crazy evil sci fi dictatorship. Nobody has freedom all thoughts are dictated with technology that reads minds free will is crushed and people are brainwashed and reprogrammed like robots. I guess the closest way to describe such a horrid state would be like the entire state being a prison.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2015, 4:29 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Imagine a society where both genders are completely separated relationships are illegal and if caught both are sentenced to life in prison? All reproduction is made by artificial means for both parties and at birth are assigned to their society.

Fortunately for us liberty-minded folk, maintaining such an extensive totalitarian system of prisons, surveillence, and policing over what would effectively condemn the better majority of humanity, is insanely costly. The economy would tank as able workers were shoved into the penal system and the rest were taxed into oblivion to pay for the overhead of running the thought police, and the entire system would collapse in on itself.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 4:41 pm

That scenario is just too overly contrived to be seriously considered IMHO.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 6:45 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
A society where both genders are forbidden to come in contact with eachother period and I sopposed raised as livestock the leader of the state would be a 2 party system both representatives of the gender with a fascist policy. I guess a crazy evil sci fi dictatorship. Nobody has freedom all thoughts are dictated with technology that reads minds free will is crushed and people are brainwashed and reprogrammed like robots. I guess the closest way to describe such a horrid state would be like the entire state being a prison.

close, except not even the highest security prisons have a mind control system, nor access to technology that can reprogram [peoples minds.
probably not even that would be enough to suppress the human need for relationships (except some of us)..each gender/sex will always need the other for more than just making babies. would such a state arise from the blue or will it have been forced upon a people?

and, as drh said, economy collapsing as perfectly able bodied/minded workers are crammed into prisons merely for mingling with others..you'd really need to build a shitton, or those overcrowded structures could become a cesspool of disease, perhaps a black market of sorts could pop up there. (or not even only there)

unless of course, their minds are wired into not doing such things. if the leaders aren't immortal, you'll need a way to continue the line of succession.

the 2-gender-party system. how different would they be? i really hope you're not completely serious because i don't see how such a system would work for more than a few days...besides for interesting reading.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

close, except not even the highest security prisons have a mind control system, nor access to technology that can reprogram [peoples minds.
probably not even that would be enough to suppress the human need for relationships (except some of us)..each gender/sex will always need the other for more than just making babies. would such a state arise from the blue or will it have been forced upon a people?

and, as drh said, economy collapsing as perfectly able bodied/minded workers are crammed into prisons merely for mingling with others..you'd really need to build a shitton, or those overcrowded structures could become a cesspool of disease, perhaps a black market of sorts could pop up there. (or not even only there)

unless of course, their minds are wired into not doing such things. if the leaders aren't immortal, you'll need a way to continue the line of succession.

the 2-gender-party system. how different would they be? i really hope you're not completely serious because i don't see how such a system would work for more than a few days...besides for interesting reading.
It would if it was like a hive like society all people are workers and drones with no free will, tbh if such a society was established it would be a living nightmare.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

well, yeah, if it was 'hive like' they'd have no choice. what a travesty!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
It would if it was like a hive like society all people are workers and drones with no free will, tbh if such a society was established it would be a living nightmare.

And if it was, we wouldn't be having this conversation. So what, what's the point of speculation?

Creatures such as ourselves evolved sapience as a requirement of our evolutionary niche; I doubt you could get what essentially amounts to eusocial insectoid behavior out of anything at our size, diet, and environment. And if you tried to force things into that pidgeonhole, it'd crash and burn within a decade, horribly.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:04 pm

All kinds of good reasons to speculate.

Say if one watches a lot of "cartoons for grown-ups," which often have thinkful themes, and just happens to enjoy speculation (which is pretty much the essence of 'philosophy')...

Or if one happens to be obsessively into dystopian fiction, and is contemplating writing a piece of one's own and wishes to explore the dynamics of how such a society might work...

Could make for interesting reading.

Check out "The Giver." Not a particularly great piece of work as dystopian stories go (even if I happened to find it deeply affecting), but one of my personal favorites.

Another one that deals with sex/gender roles and societal proscription thereof is the Matched trilogy. I don't remember the author and only skimmed them; my oldest kid hauled them home from the school library last spring around the time I was putting the garden in (thus I was too busy to read in much depth, just had time enough to keep tabs on my kid's reading material).

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:13 am

Add in another twist all humans are treated as slaves and have no privacy and are under constant surveilance not to mention mind reading technology those who have any thoughts of individuality suffer corporal punishment!Subliminal messages are sent through media teaching people they are worthless theyre only purpose to work and to die any attachment to one another is wrong and shall be punished those who have thoughts of disagreeing shall be punished.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:16 am

madre de dios.

If there's a death penalty, I bet most people would want to go straight to that. I know I would.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:31 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
madre de dios.

If there's a death penalty, I bet most people would want to go straight to that. I know I would.
Like I said if such a society like that was established it would be hell! I had a nightmare of such a society so I figured I would come up with such a thread.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:33 am

yes, i know you know it sucks.. 8O

yet why ask us if it works, if you already know.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:42 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
yes, i know you know it sucks.. 8O

yet why ask us if it works, if you already know.
...I just wonder if there is anyone sick in the head enough wanting such a society to exist and be all for it. I have lived a small sample of it living with an abusive stepfather who would violate my privacy and forbid me from having girlfriends of any sort monitor all my activities and tell me I have no purpose and am worthless so if the entire world experienced that at once as every day living a a society..then maybe they would understand living like that would be hell. Not sure why I had the nightmare but gave me an idea if the global populous were to live like that on a grand scale that it would be hell, I was kinda testing as well if there were people who were sick and twisted in the head who would actually think it would be a utopia but luckily nobody has agreed and in this case you all pass the test.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:37 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

Hey that sounds a little like my story about the war between men and women. Are you being a copy cat?

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:42 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Magneto wrote:
I *know* what gender dysphoria is like. What I'm wondering is:
Quote:
What would gender dysphoria even mean, for someone raised only among one gender with no knowledge of the other?

If I'd never come into contact with other girls, I would never be able to hold the concept of [being a girl despite male body] in my mind, because I would not hold the concept [girl] in my mind. But the dysphoria would, probably, still exist; I would just lack the ability to describe it. Hence, it would be vague, as all things are before they are defined.

See: newspeak.

I'm really not in the mood to explain this, nor am I able. I'd like to be able to post without being asked these types of questions. I come here to get away from the questions that people throw at me in the real world. I'm tired of having to explain myself to people. I can't elaborate for the life of me, and I feel like I'm being judged.

On behalf of Mick, it would be very appreciated if Mick wouldn't be asked such questions any more.

I'm sick with flu, hope i sound coherent enough

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 2:48 am

need a break, excuse me people