Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:20 am

This one slighty bothers me to an extent.Image

Not so much that it is upside down, but that some people believe it to be satanic in nature/origin. Which it isn't even remotely. I knew this even as a child, that this was how St. Peter was crucified. Yet I find it absurd that people confused this as such. Any ideas as to why?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

People are stupid.

Next question, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Somehow it got to be a common thought, in the magic world at least, that you could subvert the power of a symbol and reverse it to personal gain or get a reverse polarity of energy by inverting it (among other things such as breaking line joints or skewing angles, just that inverting something's a lot easier for your brain to keep track of than the rest of that).

Good example:

Pentagram of Pythagoras - traditionally considered a ward against evil and chaotic agents based on Pythagorean theory of number, apex of star depicts spirit/aether over the four elements (ie. fire, water, air, earth). It also presents man with his head and four limbs - ie. the microcosm of 'as above so below'. Pythagoras and his disciples used this symbol as something of a benediction.

Goat of Mendes - People take same said symbol and revert it to where the previous top point is down rather than up. Eliphas Levi got curious, tried it in his workings to find out what it was or wasn't, had results he wasn't crazy about, and thus the Baphomet-head was his artistic touch as a descriptor. Other people who've worked with obverse vs. inverse pentagram, good example 'Unknown Author' (or not so unknown) in Meditations on the Tarot (esoteric Catholic evangelizing book based on the 22 major trump of the tarot) said that one just yielded intellect of the will while the other yielded will of the intellect - different things for different minds I suppose.

So getting back to your cross of Saint Peter - you're dealing with something based on a historical event, not something based on a psychological principle. Almost all of this symbolic play I mentioned above (obverse, inverse, etc.), and what people are calling magic, is mostly advanced psychology - people computer-hacking their own brains by use of symbols.

So you have really two or three groups of people on this topic:
1) Esotericists, using the arrangement of symbols in a way their brain will understand (ie. obverse/inverse has a meaningful effect for them because they've made it that way).
2) The types of Christians who are so sucked into Revelations that they need to find signs of Satanic order to prove that there's an enemy to fight against (finding it hidden in government or old baroque institutions - even better).
3) Kids and adults who act like kids who just love to be thrilled, scared, and get a roller-coaster ride off rumors; the kinds of people who love to ooh and ahh about Jay Z and Beyonce flirting with OTO and then buy their albums because for them it's just being entertained twice - both by their music and by them.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:26 am

People do love to adopt (steal) symbols.
What annoys me more is when an old favourite piece of music gets adopted for a tv ad'.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 1:35 pm

Quote:
So you have really two or three groups of people on this topic:
1) Esotericists, using the arrangement of symbols in a way their brain will understand (ie. obverse/inverse has a meaningful effect for them because they've made it that way).
2) The types of Christians who are so sucked into Revelations that they need to find signs of Satanic order to prove that there's an enemy to fight against (finding it hidden in government or old baroque institutions - even better).
3) Kids and adults who act like kids who just love to be thrilled, scared, and get a roller-coaster ride off rumors; the kinds of people who love to ooh and ahh about Jay Z and Beyonce flirting with OTO and then buy their albums because for them it's just being entertained twice - both by their music and by them.

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
People are stupid.

Next question, please?

True. The whole "black metal" scene is exceedingly stupid as well for believing it's a "satanic" image, when it's St. Peter's Cross.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 6:48 pm

Never heard of it before.

I guess its the same "logic" as reciting the Lord's Prayer backward.