Is creating false guilt for profit by religions a good moral

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

Is creating false guilt for profit by religions a good moral tenet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

One of the lies for profit by the Churches seems to be the invention of hell to instill fear and loosen the purse strings and increase the indulgences people pay to save their souls, which were never condemned in the first place.

Another example of this for profit lying by Christianity would be Original Sin. This was something unknown to the Jews who have a different interpretation of their myths. To them, Eden was we were elevated, not where we fell.

Is creating false guilt for profit a good moral tenet and should a religion that does so be followed?

Or would God forbid such a sin and curse those religions to hell?

Regards
DL

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 6:51 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Is creating false guilt for profit a good moral tenet and should a religion that does so be followed?

Yes.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:28 am

No, but it is a good tactic if you want to keep people in your cult.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:35 am

SilverProteus wrote:
No, but it is a good tactic if you want to keep people in your cult.

When the cult leaders are immoral, to them it would certainly be good.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:37 am

Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Yes.

Show your argument and reasons.

From your other answers, I doubt you can put that many words together. But you do know what an argument is. Right?

Regards
DL

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:46 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Yes.

The government uses the same tactic for the greater good all the time, and since we don't want anarchy it follows that it is the right thing to do. Only climate change deniers would disagree.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:51 am

Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Yes.

The government uses the same tactic for the greater good all the time, and since we don't want anarchy it follows that it is the right thing to do. Only climate change deniers would disagree.

As expected. Nothing of value.

Regards
DL

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:57 am

I think we need to broaden the question to include the government.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 8:18 am

I want to pick on old school monks and wealthy vineyard owners for a moment. They had a handy dandy arrangement worked out. The monks liked wine. If you gave the monks a lot of wine (or better yet) a chunk of vineyard land, they in return would put in a good word for you with the man upstairs. This not only gave the monks the yummy wine they enjoyed, but also gave them a way to keep profit coming into their monasteries which in return kept their missions financed... kept the 'spreading of the good word' or whatever. The landowners also benefited because if they were not certain about their own salvation they no longer needed to fret that. Everybody slept better at night.

Is that a good moral tenet? Maybe? I guess it depends on what the parties involved consider moral. If part of the big picture the above parties, for example, is not fearing life after death and knowing that there is a way for all people to go to heaven, then yes... it seems a good enough moral tenet. It is simple, easy, mutually beneficial. Is it deep and spiritual? Not so much. But it worked.

Should that kind of thing be followed? Depends on what you are looking for in a religion. If you are looking for a get out of hell free card then hell yeah you should follow that kind of arrangement. Holy simplicity, Batman. If you are actually looking to religion for a spiritual connection and deeper understanding, then buying your way into heaven would seem to be a thing you would want absolutely no part of.

Would god forbid and curse those religions to hell? I have no idea. I am not god, and I do not really believe in god anyway.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 8:20 am

Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Yes.
Agreed. Anything done in the name of a religion or its gods is moral. At least, it sure seems that way.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 8:26 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Is creating false guilt for profit by religions a good moral tenet...?

Nope. To my understanding, Jesus never did such a thing. I don't believe he profited from anything he did. Churches operated in His name shouldn't either.

In fact, many of the newest anti-nonprofit Christian churches, including most "home churches," operate carefully to avoid any profit thereby saving themselves from being taxed. I believe that is how churches should be operated.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:14 am

Humanaut wrote:
I think we need to broaden the question to include the government.

Start an O.P. with examples and see how it goes for you.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:18 am

dossa wrote:
I want to pick on old school monks and wealthy vineyard owners for a moment. They had a handy dandy arrangement worked out. The monks liked wine. If you gave the monks a lot of wine (or better yet) a chunk of vineyard land, they in return would put in a good word for you with the man upstairs. This not only gave the monks the yummy wine they enjoyed, but also gave them a way to keep profit coming into their monasteries which in return kept their missions financed... kept the 'spreading of the good word' or whatever. The landowners also benefited because if they were not certain about their own salvation they no longer needed to fret that. Everybody slept better at night.

Is that a good moral tenet? Maybe? I guess it depends on what the parties involved consider moral. If part of the big picture the above parties, for example, is not fearing life after death and knowing that there is a way for all people to go to heaven, then yes... it seems a good enough moral tenet. It is simple, easy, mutually beneficial. Is it deep and spiritual? Not so much. But it worked.

Should that kind of thing be followed? Depends on what you are looking for in a religion. If you are looking for a get out of hell free card then hell yeah you should follow that kind of arrangement. Holy simplicity, Batman. If you are actually looking to religion for a spiritual connection and deeper understanding, then buying your way into heaven would seem to be a thing you would want absolutely no part of.

Would god forbid and curse those religions to hell? I have no idea. I am not god, and I do not really believe in god anyway.

Yes God would forbid it as it would be based on lies.

"The landowners also benefited because if they were not certain about their own salvation they no longer needed to fret that."

The only reason they fretted over their salvation is because the priests had lied about them being condemned in the first place.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Yes.
Agreed. Anything done in the name of a religion or its gods is moral. At least, it sure seems that way.

Jihadists and those who liked the Inquisition will agree.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:24 am

AspieUtah wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Is creating false guilt for profit by religions a good moral tenet...?

Nope. To my understanding, Jesus never did such a thing. I don't believe he profited from anything he did. Churches operated in His name shouldn't either.

In fact, many of the newest anti-nonprofit Christian churches, including most "home churches," operate carefully to avoid any profit thereby saving themselves from being taxed. I believe that is how churches should be operated.

I agree with the spirit of you post but not the reality.

No church should profit like the ones we have, I agree, but a church that gives good service to the community should profit enough to expand or create branches to increase those good works.

But yes, they should have simple cups for their wine and not gold chalices.

Regards
DL

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 9:44 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
I agree with the spirit of you post but not the reality.

No church should profit like the ones we have, I agree, but a church that gives good service to the community should profit enough to expand or create branches to increase those good works.

But yes, they should have simple cups for their wine and not gold chalices.

Regards
DL

That is exactly what many home churches (and other anti-nonprofit churches) do. They budget carefully to pay their bills, and fund-raise just enough to do that and expand if necessary or desired. It's a cool little trick that some churches learned a few years ago during the IRS scandal over auditing conventionally nonprofit churches' involvement in politics or government. They learned that they could (and should) avoid becoming nonprofit because that comes with legal strings attached. And, the way to avoid nonprofit status is to remain legally for-profit. But, the way to avoid taxes for any for-profit corporation is to budget income and expenses carefully so that the net profits are near zero.

In my opinion, if a church is willing to do all that for the sake of remaining independent of government and big contributors, they probably run a tight ship, church-wise. Good on them.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)