Why should the government "help" people with Aspergers?

Page 4 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:51 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Just because somebody doesn't look homeless and destitute doesn't mean they are spending a lot of money on themselves or don't need food stamps.

This is very true, For instance I wanted a certain video game but didn't purchase it till I was able to find a copy for half the cost...Or I might order certain electronics and such online on places like Ebay where you can find things cheaper than typical retail price. Also I am doing everything I am supposed to be as far as treatment for my conditions...but yeah especially with fixed incomes like SSI, I cannot rationalize why people feel people on it keep up some appearance of being dirt broke or else it proves they don't need it....I have become better at budgeting, I'm not going to blow all my money each month right when I get it just to satisfy people who think I ought to have nothing to prove I need SSI lol.

Also most of my clothes come from thrift stores and clearance racks or my sister who does tend to buy kind of high end clothes...so yeah I have clothes that fit, and even look good and are clean because I like to look half way presentable, but someone could assume I go out and spend a bunch of money on nice clothes that I should spend on needs....but that's not the case

That brings to mind claims people like Newt Gingrich had made, that people were able to take trips to the Hawaii on food stamps. Of course that charge was completely untrue, if not idiotic, but plenty of cretins out there believe such things because they want to believe the worst about poor people who they hate and hold in contempt.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:56 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
That brings to mind claims people like Newt Gingrich had made, that people were able to take trips to the Hawaii on food stamps. Of course that charge was completely untrue, if not idiotic, but plenty of cretins out there believe such things because they want to believe the worst about poor people who they hate and hold in contempt.

IMHO that man lacks a sense of decency. joseph welch would have had a field day with him.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Just because somebody doesn't look homeless and destitute doesn't mean they are spending a lot of money on themselves or don't need food stamps.

This is very true, For instance I wanted a certain video game but didn't purchase it till I was able to find a copy for half the cost...Or I might order certain electronics and such online on places like Ebay where you can find things cheaper than typical retail price. Also I am doing everything I am supposed to be as far as treatment for my conditions...but yeah especially with fixed incomes like SSI, I cannot rationalize why people feel people on it keep up some appearance of being dirt broke or else it proves they don't need it....I have become better at budgeting, I'm not going to blow all my money each month right when I get it just to satisfy people who think I ought to have nothing to prove I need SSI lol.

Also most of my clothes come from thrift stores and clearance racks or my sister who does tend to buy kind of high end clothes...so yeah I have clothes that fit, and even look good and are clean because I like to look half way presentable, but someone could assume I go out and spend a bunch of money on nice clothes that I should spend on needs....but that's not the case

Well, theoretically you could if you sold them and saved the money. If you didn't have other ways to eat instead or a cash under the table job or something, you would be SOL. But food stamps are sold fairly often. Sometimes it's to get cash for a bill, or gas for the car or something needed that food stamps doesn't buy. Other times it's for money to get drugs or booze or even just cigarettes.

Around here they go for $15 cash for $30 food stamps. Not half your total, but in $30 increments or as close as possible. I don't sell mine, I go do a big shopping when I get them, stock up on meat and canned goods and staples and boxed things. That way I buy vegetables, dairy, bread etc each week with cash from my husband's check. But that's not much that you get for them. I'd buy some if I knew somebody who needed to sell some for cash, because I could use twice the amount of food for the cash, but the most I've ever done is bought a friend with stamps some food on my card that she replaced when she got hers a few weeks later. Not everybody gets theirs on the same day, so it's staggered and people do trade out like that from time to time.

But it would take a long time to save that cash from selling stamps to take a trip down to Gulf Shores, let alone Hawaii lol.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

IMHO that man lacks a sense of decency. joseph welch would have had a field day with him.

Forgive me, I feel I should know who Jack Welch is, but I'm drawing a blank.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_N._Welch
one of life's everyday heroes who stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. :thumleft:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Lol last I checked vacations to Hawaii are not considered groceries, so it would not be an accepted form of payment for such a thing. Some people on foodstamps illegally have other people pay them cash to use their EBT card, but no one gets enough food stamps that could be sold for enough money for a trip like that as far as I know. So yeah that is a pretty illogical argument, its sad so many people eat up myths like that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_N._Welch
one of life's everyday heroes who stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. :thumleft:

OOOOKAY! I know him. "Have you no shame, sir? Have you no shame?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:16 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Lol last I checked vacations to Hawaii are not considered groceries, so it would not be an accepted form of payment for such a thing. Some people on foodstamps illegally have other people pay them cash to use their EBT card, but no one gets enough food stamps that could be sold for enough money for a trip like that as far as I know. So yeah that is a pretty illogical argument, its sad so many people eat up myths like that.

the people who have a need to scapegoat the poor will eat it up and beg for more. in their world view, in the words of jimmy breslin, "the poor can never be made to suffer enough."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

yeh, I wished somebody woulda said that to the gingrinch.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

yeh, I wished somebody woulda said that to the gingrinch.

He'd make mince meat of Gingrich. I just wish the left - or even the middle - had an equivalent to Welch today.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

the people who have a need to scapegoat the poor will eat it up and beg for more. in their world view, in the words of jimmy breslin, "the poor can never be made to suffer enough."

Or in the words of Charles Bukowski: "Nobody suffers like the poor, baby."

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

My POV is:

1) We (in the USA, anyhow) live in a society in which money is needed to remain alive.

2) We live in a society in which you can be denied employment for the most trivial whims of an employer. (This, of course, may include things you cannot compensate for with will, drugs, or practice.)

Thus, if employers are allowed to lock people out of the employment market and thus remaining alive, then IMO something should make up for it. Either that, or require employers to hire on the basis of ability, rather than perkiness, demeanor, and not behaving abnormally. Employers are rather spoiled: You want to work 20 hours from 40 because of a health problem? Nope, you have to quit. Etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:31 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
My POV is:

1) We (in the USA, anyhow) live in a society in which money is needed to remain alive.

2) We live in a society in which you can be denied employment for the most trivial whims of an employer. (This, of course, may include things you cannot compensate for with will, drugs, or practice.)

Thus, if employers are allowed to lock people out of the employment market and thus remaining alive, then IMO something should make up for it. Either that, or require employers to hire on the basis of ability, rather than perkiness, demeanor, and not behaving abnormally. Employers are rather spoiled: You want to work 20 hours from 40 because of a health problem? Nope, you have to quit. Etc.

I agree. I also think employers should hire people not just for ability, but also for need of employment. And I think there should be a national program which connects people with guaranteed jobs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:31 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
My POV is:

the rest of the west got on the "third way" bandwagon to varying degrees, 'cept for America, in which unions and powerful liberals at all levels did the third way softening of the rougher edges of life, up until Reagan's time when all that was swept away over the decade of his reign, when the powell memo became the bible and scoresheet of the PTB.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I agree. I also think employers should hire people not just for ability, but also for need of employment. And I think there should be a national program which connects people with guaranteed jobs.

IMHO, the right's "laissez faire" meme should be translated phonetically into "less fair." :mrgreen:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:01 am

seems humilitating to have to go through the SSI route

1. Claim "mental disability"
2. Jump through hoops
3. Get a paltry $800/month

My doctor did ask me one time, "Do you want SSI?" and my knee-jerk reaction was to say, "No!". It triggered PTSD flashbacks of people making fun of me.

It is not about too much pride; it is about being beaten down by others to think that accepting help demonstrates that you are a failure.