Why should the government "help" people with Aspergers?

Page 6 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 11:14 am

I think the government has a duty to support all of its citizens. And by that, I mean helping to create a society that is fair and gives everyone equal opportunities. If disability is an obstacle, you should be entitled to some kind of support.

Its not about being a minority - its about being fair.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 1:37 pm

MindBlind wrote:
I think the government has a duty to support all of its citizens. And by that, I mean helping to create a society that is fair and gives everyone equal opportunities. If disability is an obstacle, you should be entitled to some kind of support.

This. Another thing, people often overlook the impact autism can have on a person's ability to obtain and maintain a job. Even in cases where the person is otherwise high-functioning, it can still be extremely difficult for someone on the spectrum to have steady employment.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 4:01 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
MindBlind wrote:

This. Another thing, people often overlook the impact autism can have on a person's ability to obtain and maintain a job. Even in cases where the person is otherwise high-functioning, it can still be extremely difficult for someone on the spectrum to have steady employment.

Like I'm fearing will be the case for me, off and on. Good thing I'm Canadian.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:20 pm

^^^
being a Canadian is the gift that keeps on giving :wtg:

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

^^ good thing my dad moved here, 1 year before the fall of the Berlin wall.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

The first "help" (government assistance) that the U.S. government provided to anyone was "[o]n August 26, 1776, [when] the first pension legislation for the American colonies as a group was enacted. A resolution of the Continental Congress provided half pay for officers and enlisted men, including those on warships and armed vessels, who were disabled in the service of the United States and who were incapable of earning a living. The half pay was to continue for the duration of the disability" ( http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... sions.html ). In the following years, various "extra" benefits of assistance were added to the relevant laws including half pay for 7 years to widows and orphans of officers. Should the original law, which was enacted just weeks after the U.S. Declaration of Independence was adopted, have been opposed?

Among the reasons for these initial pension laws was to provide an incentive to promote military enlistment. In other words, the Congress chose to reward certain of its workers financially for their work; not because they had experienced injuries or death, but to reward them (or their heirs) for their endurance of the work involved and how that endurance affected their ability to do future work. We do much the same thing today with all workers, don't we? Then, the Congress needed military workers to succeed in its war for independence. Now, the Congress needs (even if it doesn't want) workers to succeed economically. I see little difference between the reasons and categories of recipients, then or now.

I can get behind the idea of restricting government-assistance programs for various reasons (cost, eligibility etc.), but we can't argue that the legal precedence doesn't bring us to the point where an individual's inability to work because of one or more Autism Spectrum Disorders, or their severity, isn't similar to the reasons we once used to reward our revolutionaries.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 4:58 pm

then, as now, there were privileged folk who had a smug penchant for saying to those who were not so privileged, "sink or swim, mac." let us hope that a critical mass of the smug ones doesn't take over and ruin things for everybody else.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 5:00 pm

It's pretty simple: if you have a valid disability (ASD) counts, you should get the support when you need it. Like I currently do.

However, in my province drug addiction is also a disability - so they give drug addicts money with no strings attached, it's a stupid idea, I don't know what Idiot was too stupid to see the problem... But I guess since it's a "disability" - they must give them the support, but it just negates people with real disabilities.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:06 pm

I guess addiction could happen to just about anybody, and it is this vulnerability to misfortune that is the ethical underpinning of charity in whatever form, including disability pensions.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I guess addiction could happen to just about anybody, and it is this vulnerability to misfortune that is the ethical underpinning of charity in whatever form, including disability pensions.

True but to be addicted to a drug, you must've made the choice to use it first at least once. None of us choose to be autistic, did we?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:23 pm

I would bet good money, that many folk who became addicted to a painkilling drug [happens all the time, including to moi :oops: ] would not have chosen that result, I sure didn't. I would much rather have not have the injury needing pain relief in the first place.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
then, as now, there were privileged folk who had a smug penchant for saying to those who were not so privileged, "sink or swim, mac." let us hope that a critical mass of the smug ones doesn't take over and ruin things for everybody else.

Ohhhh, yeah! The "entitled" ones (money and/or attitude) could easily become zombies with the right economic conditions.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 5:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I would bet good money, that many folk who became addicted to a painkilling drug [happens all the time, including to moi :oops: ] would not have chosen that result, I sure didn't. I would much rather have not have the injury needing pain relief in the first place.

I was talking marijuana, coke, heroine. Not medical rugs. My bad.

On a relate dnote, if I don't get a paying enough job, and there's no more disability pension - there's painless ways of suicide, if my family doesn't take care of me. Though I'm pretty sure they will - after my parents die either my brother or my cousins.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I was talking marijuana, coke, heroine. Not medical rugs. My bad.On a relate dnote, if I don't get a paying enough job, and there's no more disability pension - there's painless ways of suicide, if my family doesn't take care of me. Though I'm pretty sure they will - after my parents die either my brother or my cousins.

no bad :) since you said "I'm pretty sure they will" [take care of you], maybe it would be better for your mental hygiene to not dwell on the downside, no? :idea:

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2015, 5:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I was talking marijuana, coke, heroine. Not medical rugs. My bad.On a relate dnote, if I don't get a paying enough job, and there's no more disability pension - there's painless ways of suicide, if my family doesn't take care of me. Though I'm pretty sure they will - after my parents die either my brother or my cousins.

no bad :) since you said "I'm pretty sure they will" [take care of you], maybe it would be better for your mental hygiene to not dwell on the downside, no? :idea:

It probably would but whoever being a logical thinker, It's hard not to. I could also find an animal abuser, bully, terroist etc... then write out plans to mruder them, make it obvious it was my intention and then murder them to make sure I get a life long prisons sentence instead of being on the streets.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:51 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
It probably would but whoever being a logical thinker, It's hard not to. I could also find an animal abuser, bully, terroist etc... then write out plans to mruder them, make it obvious it was my intention and then murder them to make sure I get a life long prisons sentence instead of being on the streets.

why would you consider prison to be preferable to the outside?