Page 7 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

adifferentname wrote:
A sentient First Cause is central to the argument put forward, as it's an essential component of the LCA. Perhaps you've failed to understand the "matters in hand"?

It's time to either piss or get off the pot.
Whether a First Cause is sentient or not is not relevant to whether Naturalism is philosophically unsound or not.

Your tsunami of largely irrelevant accusations and glib assertions doesn't "prove" anything we don't already know; that is that you and your mates insist that everything that the media buffs sell as "science" is science simply because it suits some ideological prejudices we will call Naturalism for the purpose of this thread.

I am contending that Naturalism is philosophically unsound but, unfortunately, it is impossible to argue with turkeys who predictably respond to any stimulus with gobble gobble gobbledegook. How can you and your mates argue about a philosophical credibility of anything if you don't know what philosophy (science) is. You are simply demonstrating that you can't.

Your infantile credulity that insists that popularised media nonscience is all that is known about everything is something that is being indirectly challenged in this thread.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 4:44 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
In philosophy, however, if you start with a certain, sure, (as in "Established beyond doubt or question; definitely known" (dictionary definition)) premise(s) and you make no errors of logic the result is also certain and can be another premise for another investigation..............................................

The chain of conclusions/premises must come from, and never contradict some very basic premise(s) that we will call "self-evident". A basic self-evident truth is one where a proposition has only one alternative which is its contrary and that contrary is self-contradictory and thus absurd. The first, and most basic, prime example of which is "I exist".

And here we have the reason for your adamant assertion in the face of all experiments and intricate observations, along with the verifying math, that the world of science has got it wrong. You start with the self evident truth that God exists, then move onto the "fact" that everything moves to higher entropy and therefore in your flawless logic, Evolution cannot have occurred and the only explanation therefore is the world and everything in it was created by God.

Trouble is David there are few if any truly self evident truths. And most certainly God is not one of them ie It may exist but its existence is NOT self evident, in fact the probability of its existence is very low, so your logic fails immediately due to a false premise. Secondly you vastly underestimate the intricacies of the second law of thermodynamics (you still have not responded to my frequent requests to falsify the maths I provided you).

As an aside, I generally think that "I exist" is self evident, but as your new BFF will rightly ask you, Prove it.
I invited readers to think about it. You obviously didn't even recognise what you were invited to think about quite apart from your apparent inability and/or unwillingness to do so.

A self-evident truth is where a proposition has no alternative but its contrary which is self-contradictory and thus absurd. I did not claim that the existence of God is self-evident.

"I exist"... alternative; "I do not exist". Absurd because you can't think you don't exist if you don't exist. A certain logical proof.

I'm wasting my time. There is no interesting and stimulating conversation to be had around here.

The only example of a Klein Bottle is a stupid Materialist with his head in his own arse.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

Oldavid wrote:
I did not claim that the existence of God is self-evident

Not in this thread, but you have in others.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Mar 2015, 6:17 pm

Lintar wrote:
Where has 'The Walrus' gone? Maybe he is busy, but he DID say that the cosmological arguments were useless and wrong, easily refuted and a joke.

Yes, I am usually busy at 3am.

Quote:
1) Anything that exists has an explanation of its existence, either in the necessity of its own nature or in an external cause [A version of PSR - that's the 'Principle of Sufficient Reason'].
2) If the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation is God.
3) The universe exists.
4) Therefore, the universe has an explanation of its existence (from 1, 3)
5) Therefore, the explanation of the existence of the universe is God (from 2, 4).

This is from http://www.reasonablefaith.org/leibnizs ... nd-the-psr

Ok, I'll start off to help you along. Premise two is presumptuous, or at least it appears that way. Why must the explanation be God?

Ding ding ding...
Quote:
Well, that is due to how the concept of God is actually defined in the first place.

This is but one definition of "God".
Quote:
That is, it (not 'He' - silly anthropomorphism) has certain... 'characteristics', let's call them, that simply must apply if we are to consider the idea at all seriously, and if the concept is to have any value at all to us. For instance, it must contain within itself the reason for why it is; that is, it must be a necessary entity that is as essential to us as mathematical truths like, 'All triangles have three sides'... <snip>

Why?

Quote:
'God' must also, in order to qualify for the 'job description', be transcendent. The laws of nature cannot confine it, for the laws themselves were created by 'God'. God does not exist within the universe, for the same reasons why a painter will not be found on the canvas, a novelist will not be a character within the novel.

I'll accept that any "god" must be transcendent (though I'd like to point out this means most theists are wrong about their conception of god). I'd like to see some evidence that "god" actually created the laws of physics. I'd also point out that there are many works of art in which the creator participates, but that's a red herring.

Quote:
'An actual infinity of moments cannot be traversed' - J. P. Moreland. Yes, he is a Christian theist, but he is still right about this.

Does Moreland have any proof for his claim?
Quote:
There must be something, and it doesn't matter if we call it 'God', that really is timeless and immaterial

Evidence?
Quote:
Saying that 'oh, it just popped into being from nothing', or 'we believe reality to be inexplicable'... well, both of these answers are just plain stupid, and I need not take them at all seriously.

Reasoning?
Quote:
So... God is the timeless and immaterial substrate that supports physical reality, without which there really would exist nothing, that is the ultimate explanation for all we know (because it short-circuits the infinite regress problem), and which cannot not exist, for it is necessary and therefore has no causal agent.

You might be starting to spot a theme here...
1) That isn't a widely accepted definition of "god".
2) You can't say something "must exist" without evidence for it

Come back when you can demonstrate that the universe requires a Prime Mover.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 8:41 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
I did not claim that the existence of God is self-evident

Not in this thread, but you have in others.
Never ever. It's just another of your spurious assertions.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 8:47 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Whether a First Cause is sentient or not is not relevant to whether Naturalism is philosophically unsound or not.

In case you missed it, I'm addressing a positive claim of absolute knowledge contained in the original post. The LCA argument was cited as a defence of this positive claim. If you're going to argue that the original post in the thread is off-topic, there's really no point in acknowledging your presence here.

Quote:
Your tsunami of largely irrelevant accusations and glib assertions doesn't "prove" anything we don't already know

Indeed. It is your artless non-answers which demonstrate the gaps in your knowledge.

Quote:
that is that you and your mates insist that everything that the media buffs sell as "science" is science simply because it suits some ideological prejudices we will call Naturalism for the purpose of this thread.

Which "mates" would those be? If you were interested in facts rather than some half-baked narrative you've constructed out of whole cloth, you would be aware that I'm ideologically opposed to most of the atheists on WP on a variety of issues. How about you man up and address the subject matter instead of concocting ad hominem bedtime stories?

Quote:
I am contending that Naturalism is philosophically unsound but, unfortunately, it is impossible to argue with turkeys who predictably respond to any stimulus with gobble gobble gobbledegook. How can you and your mates argue about a philosophical credibility of anything if you don't know what philosophy (science) is. You are simply demonstrating that you can't.

We haven't even established which branch of naturalism is being discussed, let alone heard a philosophical argument to support your contention. Let's examine your contribution to the thread so far.

Post #1 Ad hominem attack, bow out due to time constraints.
Post #2 An appeal that we redefine terms to suit your unsupported assertion
Post #3 An attempt to redefine "philosophy" (general) as meaning "natural philosophy" (specific).
Post #4 An ad hominem attack, an assertion that "materialism is a religion" and a second assertion that "theology has nothing to do with philosophy".
Post #5 Pithy strawman followed by some anecdotal discussion concerning your ability to express emotions or lack thereof.
Post #6 Ad hominem attack followed by an appeal to stay on topic.
Post #7 Personal attack with a second appeal to stay on topic.
Post #8 Second appeal to redefine terms, this time without any mention of which terms need to be defined and how they should be defined.
Post #9 Substance free sophistry with an attempt to narrowly define "science" - a term which I can think of at least 7 definitions for off the top of my head, none of which are compatible with the entirely unrelated derogatory term "scientism".
Post #10 Ad hominem attack followed by unqualified assertion that there is a "good logical case" for a sentient First Cause.
Post #11 Assertion of "leaping to conclusions" without qualification.
Post #12 Refusal to provide qualifier for #10
Post #13 Some entry-level philosophical musings.

Which brings us up to date.

I find it interesting that someone who has attempted to present himself as an authority on philosophy relies so much on logical fallacies.

Quote:
Your infantile credulity that insists that popularised media nonscience is all that is known about everything is something that is being indirectly challenged in this thread.

Do I need to point out the self-evident fallacies in this asinine statement? Should I deign to provide my opinion on "media nonscience", you can be assured that I will not employ you as my spokesperson.

You've been on that pot for quite some time. Are you going to produce anything of note?

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

adifferentname wrote:
You've been on that pot for quite some time. Are you going to produce anything of note?
Been there, done that.

I have not the slightest intention of warming your leg by pissing in your pocket.

The "LCA argument" is refuted or falsified? Tell us about it. No glib assertions will be accepted as "evidence" of course.
Odd wrote:

Quote:
We haven't even established which branch of naturalism is being discussed, let alone heard a philosophical argument to support your contention. Let's examine your contribution to the thread so far.

Post #1 Ad hominem attack, bow out due to time constraints.
Post #2 An appeal that we redefine terms to suit your unsupported assertion
Post #3 An attempt to redefine "philosophy" (general) as meaning "natural philosophy" (specific).
Post #4 An ad hominem attack, an assertion that "materialism is a religion" and a second assertion that "theology has nothing to do with philosophy".
Post #5 Pithy strawman followed by some anecdotal discussion concerning your ability to express emotions or lack thereof.
Post #6 Ad hominem attack followed by an appeal to stay on topic.
Post #7 Personal attack with a second appeal to stay on topic.
Post #8 Second appeal to redefine terms, this time without any mention of which terms need to be defined and how they should be defined.
Post #9 Substance free sophistry with an attempt to narrowly define "science" - a term which I can think of at least 7 definitions for off the top of my head, none of which are compatible with the entirely unrelated derogatory term "scientism".
Post #10 Ad hominem attack followed by unqualified assertion that there is a "good logical case" for a sentient First Cause.
Post #11 Assertion of "leaping to conclusions" without qualification.
Post #12 Refusal to provide qualifier for #10
Post #13 Some entry-level philosophical musings.

Which brings us up to date.

I find it interesting that someone who has attempted to present himself as an authority on philosophy relies so much on logical fallacies.
Righto. "Prove", or at least demonstrate alleged "logical fallacies" worst first so I can respond.

I've had lots of experience arguing with idiots. The "ad hominem" accusation is usually the last "defence" that means "stop showing me up to be an idiot" or I'll denounce you to the anti-discrimination whatsis for not giving "equal rights" to perversity and error.

You still have shown no attempt to "prove" that Naturalism is not "philosophically unsound".

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 2:22 am

Wow!! !! David are you seriously complaining about Ad Hominem behaviour? What hypocrisy.

I see you still have not responded in an honest way to my post concerning your rationale for refuting evolution.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:02 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Wow!! ! ! David are you seriously complaining about Ad Hominem behaviour? What hypocrisy.
Ho hum. I'm not, never have, complained about any such thing.
Dud wrote:
I see you still have not responded in an honest way to my post concerning your rationale for refuting evolution.
Oh dear! Remind me! I've refuted the "evolution" hoax everywhere and every time.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:08 pm

Oldavid wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Been there, done that.

I have not the slightest intention of warming your leg by pissing in your pocket.

Well it's admirable of you to admit you're not ready for potty training. Let us know when your diaper starts to itch.

Quote:
The "LCA argument" is refuted or falsified? Tell us about it. No glib assertions will be accepted as "evidence" of course.

Which version of the LCA argument? Again, you've provided nothing of substance. Make an assertion and back it up, otherwise your position can be dismissed out of hand as "lacks the courage of his convictions".

Quote:
Righto. "Prove", or at least demonstrate alleged "logical fallacies" worst first so I can respond.

I'll provide you with one example, your first post in this thread. Anyone with an ounce of reason will understand why I haven't already quoted every single fallacy you've committed in this discussion, and why I refrain from doing so now.

Oldavid wrote:
I see the hecklers are already busy...

Your opening statement in the thread is a clear shotgun ad hominem which leads directly into an unsubstantiated and vague strawman representation of any potential detractor as a "materialist" (which you commonly conflate with "Atheist"):

Oldavid wrote:
trying to head off any suggestion that there might be some metaphysical things or "stuffs" like truth, virtue, intellect, reason, logic, art, life, knowledge, understanding, will... etc. that are worthy of examination or contemplation (more metaphysical stuffs).

I doubt any reasonable person would accuse me of making a leap of faith were I to assert that the targets of this claim are those aforementioned Atheists - but that's not even relevant except as context for a larger picture, extant beyond the bounds of this thread. It is not necessary to identify the specific targets in order to call the foul in this instance.

Quote:
I've had lots of experience arguing with idiots.

This explains your piss poor debating skills. If you need some pointers, you need only ask.

Quote:
The "ad hominem" accusation is usually the last "defence" that means "stop showing me up to be an idiot" or I'll denounce you to the anti-discrimination whatsis for not giving "equal rights" to perversity and error.

When someone slips the occasional ad hominem into an otherwise logically sound and well reasoned argument, it can be overlooked. When someone posts virtually no positive assertions, refuses to back up contentions and resorts to ad hominem almost by default, it is a perfectly acceptable criticism of both the argument and the arguer to point it out.

You fall deep into the bowels of the second category.

Quote:
You still have shown no attempt to "prove" that Naturalism is not "philosophically unsound".

We still haven't established which particular form of Naturalism is up for debate. As Lintar is the original poster, I suggest that it's up to Lintar to clarify this for us.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:26 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Anyhow, science;
I will be pleased to cause a great flurry of feathers and noise in the hen-house by suggesting that philosophy is the mother and queen of all natural science... all the various disciplines in natural science are but subsidiary branches within the great Queenship of philosophy.

Yes, this is true. Philosophical assumptions (ex. the existence of objective reality) are the bedrock of all the sciences, and without which science would not even work.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:33 pm

izzeme wrote:
Allow me to clarify the (apparant) contradiction in my claims:
I claim that scientists and scientific research have shown that there is no need for a diety "inside our known and visible universe, for the timeperiod lasting from half a second since the big bang up to this very moment we live in".
The second half was the big bang itself and everything (if any) outside of our visible universe, science/scientists can make no claims about that, and therefore don't try.

Hey, I actually agree with this point :D

Yes, it certainly is the case that, 'there is no need for a diety inside our known and visible universe', but whoever suggested otherwise? Theists do NOT believe that God exists 'within the universe', for the God they believe to be real is responsible for that universe and (ultimately) all within it. Universes do not create themselves (nothing creates itself, actually) and so if one accepts the notion that the universe itself is not self-explanatory and eternal, then the only other option available is that something else, above and beyond our universe, was responsible for it coming to be.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
a. Scientists have the most evidence that supports their claims.

b. The claim that naturalism is philosophically unsound has little evidence to support it.

:: The claim that naturalism is philosophically unsound needs the be revised to fit the available evidence.

Philosophy is not natural.

No, wait, don't tell me - the claim about naturalism being philosophically unsound you dispute because you see no scientific evidence for it being so, and you do not consider argumentative evidence (i.e. logic) to be applicable to the claim. Am I right? So, you are basically saying that my claim that naturalism is unsound is itself unsound because you yourself fail to see that the claim itself (i.e. naturalism is unsound) is actually a philosophical claim, and not a scientific one.

Given certain true premises (ex. 'all that exists has an explanation, even if we do not currently know what that explanation is, for its existence, in either the necessity of its own being, or as a result of something external to it'), what follows logically in, for example a syllogism, is necessarily true. Naturalists like to believe that nature is all there is, and many if not most of them think this claim is a scientific one, when in fact it is not. They fail to recognise how false it is, if only because they can provide no justification for simply assuming there can be nothing beyond it. How do they know this? The simple answer is that they don't.

You yourself have now said twice that 'philosophy is not natural', whilst obviously failing to see that this claim itself is a philosophical one. You are using philosophy to denigrate philosophy.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Quote:

We still haven't established which particular form of Naturalism is up for debate. As Lintar is the original poster, I suggest that it's up to Lintar to clarify this for us.

Yes, I'll be more clear about this now.

According to the following source - http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/naturalism/

"The term ‘naturalism’ has no very precise meaning in contemporary philosophy. Its current usage derives from debates in America in the first half of the last century. The self-proclaimed ‘naturalists’ from that period included John Dewey, Ernest Nagel, Sidney Hook and Roy Wood Sellars. These philosophers aimed to ally philosophy more closely with science. They urged that reality is exhausted by nature, containing nothing ‘supernatural’, and that the scientific method should be used to investigate all areas of reality, including the ‘human spirit’ (Krikorian 1944, Kim 2003).

So understood, ‘naturalism’ is not a particularly informative term as applied to contemporary philosophers. The great majority of contemporary philosophers would happily accept naturalism as just characterized—that is, they would both reject ‘supernatural’ entities, and allow that science is a possible route (if not necessarily the only one) to important truths about the ‘human spirit’."

'Reality is exhausted by nature', it says. In other words, the 'supernatural' is, by default, non-existent. How, I ask, can anyone possibly know this?

That which we are capable of observing is, within the philosophy of Naturalism, equated with that which is real, true, and beyond which... well, there is no 'beyond' according to them. '...the scientific method should be used to investigate all areas of reality', is just another way of saying that if the practice of science, with all it's never-mentioned limitations, doesn't support a given hypothesis then the hypothesis in question is non-scientific and therefore false. How can this position be justified?

What about mathematics, logic, and philosophy? Do they not form the very basis of what science actually is? Yes, they do, but according to this particular philosophy they don't really matter on their own. Scientific paradigms are based upon philosophical beliefs, not scientific ones. The belief that what we experience is actually real is not testable or falsifiable, and yet we all accept this (non-scientific) belief, but according to the strict tenets of Naturalism we shouldn't.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:12 pm

I wanted to add so much more to the above, but this stupid, useless computer is playing up. Internet services in this backward country is absolutely appalling, worse than it is on the moon. :wall:

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:24 pm

We have not yet defined what you mean by naturalists. I consider myself to be one, yet I would not say "all that is, is natural". I say instead that, at present, all we can know is natural, and we cannot prove nor disprove the supernatural. However once someone claims the supernatural has entered the natural realm, then all known possibilities for this event occurring via known natural causes must be eliminated before anyone can begin to entertain the possibility that a supernatural event has occurred. Even then, once all known natural causes have been ruled out, it must be put into the "we don't know what happened" category. We simply cannot say that the event has been ruled out by "all there is to know".

Ruling in the supernatural because the event could not be explained via natrual causes has been shown to be fallacious throughout human history. In light of this I find it ironic that people holding to my posistion are now being attacked and characterised as small and closed minded by people who simply cannot "know" what it is they are claiming to know.

As for the practice of setting up a false axiom, based upon flawed logic, and then extrapolating this to show that evidence and knowledge gained via observation, math and experiment is wrong. :roll: