Page 9 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:45 pm

Lintar wrote:
So. We've established that the universe itself is contingent.

Have we? as far as I am aware the "Big Crunch" hypothesis is still alive, although the "cold death" hpothesis seems more likely

Lintar wrote:
Upon what though? What brought it into existence, and why does it not magically pop out of existence? I mean, if what some say is true, that entities like universes really can just pop into existence without any reason or cause, could not they pop out of existence just as easily?

Given the above description of multiverses I am drawn to the conclusion that you have not really read up on the subject, and do not fully understand how the hypothesis works. I am not going into what would, by necessity, be a very lengthy explanation, but trust me the concepts of virtual particles not to mention multiverses are not mere brain farts thought up by someone musing about physics.

Lintar wrote:
Admittedly I myself do not believe that nature does, or even could, behave this way.

Belief has little to do with it, acceptance of the evidence whether you like it or not is what is important. The evidence and the predictions coming from cutting edge particle physics point to what you are choosing not to believe.

Lintar wrote:
I don't believe that all we observe just magically happened and is inexplicable

Magic has nothing to do with it and the fact that we are beginning to understand the process and make predictions about it means that it may not be inexplicable

Lintar wrote:
but that does not change the fact that the contingency of physical reality counts as evidence that 1) it did NOT 'create itself' - nothing does this, 2) come from literally nothing

Again you are determining as fact, a belief that it would appear fly's in the face of what is becoming known. For someone who is very quick to jump on others for making absolute claims you would appear to very comfortable with them

Lintar wrote:
Otherwise one will be condemned, for all eternity, to seek out the real reason as to why things are the way they are, why we even exist, and why reality even makes sense in the first place.

Yes this is possible, most likely probable, so what?

Lintar wrote:
The cosmos is orderly, explicable, manifests lawlike behaviour, can be quantified, makes sense... in other words, the evidence points us to a universe that is not at all simply the end result of a sequence of 'accidents' that just happened to be beneficial for us. To believe that 'it just happened', and for no reason, without a cause - a truly inexplicable universe - is to believe in the literally impossible. If you truly believe this you will believe anything at all.

Once again you are drawing absolute conclusions where they are not warranted. To do this you are assuming that this is the only universe, which is a massive conclusion. Why should this be the only one. As I have said the argument used to be that God made the earth for us because the probability that such a place could exist was "astronomically low" then we discovered the galaxy, then we discovered the observable universe and suddenly the probability that earth like planets exist whilst still highly improbable, become very very plausible. To make the claim that you seem to be doing that the chance that this universe exists in the manner it does is so vastly improbable is to make the same mistake.

So yes I agree if you belief there is an objective purpose and direction to the universe, that life has a reason other than life itself, that there is only one universe. Then yes the probability for the existence of god becomes near to 1. But to do this you are making massive assumptions and you are denying predictions coming from experiment and observations which would seem to refute some of your most fundamental assumptions. As many have pointed out before the physicists making these predictions and grappling with the issues are no fools, and the suggestion that they are involved in some group clandestine cover up is simply asinine.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

adifferentname wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Adifferentname just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading your eloquent, rational and intelleually honest posts. We may not agree on god but at least you have shown that you are a person with whom a genuine debate can be had.

I appreciate the sentiment. Likewise, I usually find your posts to be well-reasoned and rational - though we're all prone to the occasional bout of hyperbolic shit-flinging or outraged overstatement.
A bit of mutual back-slapping should help to sustain your interest in the unsustainable.

adifferentname wrote:
If by "epidemic" you mean "the free and honest expression of ideas" then I'm a proud, card-carrying plague-bearer, and thus far you've been firing blanks.
It seems to me that you equate "the free and honest expression of ideas" with the imposition of "ideas" initiated and sustained by the popular media.

That an "idea" is relentlessly promoted in the popular media is no guarantee that it is in any way representative of truth or science.

I know from long experience that "well-reasoned and rational" means nothing other than it agrees with your ideological prejudices.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:12 pm

And once again David your post is nothing but rhetoric. Is there any danger that you might post something with substance. Heck you couldn't even start this thread, you persuaded Lintar to do it. Why are you so afraid to be open about the reasons for what you believe, why have you never accepted the challenge to give examples and collaborative evidence to support your claims.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Once again you are drawing absolute conclusions where they are not warranted. To do this you are assuming that this is the only universe, which is a massive conclusion. Why should this be the only one. As I have said the argument used to be that God made the earth for us because the probability that such a place could exist was "astronomically low" then we discovered the galaxy, then we discovered the observable universe and suddenly the probability that earth like planets exist whilst still highly improbable, become very very plausible. To make the claim that you seem to be doing that the chance that this universe exists in the manner it does is so vastly improbable is to make the same mistake.

So yes I agree if you belief there is an objective purpose and direction to the universe, that life has a reason other than life itself, that there is only one universe. Then yes the probability for the existence of god becomes near to 1. But to do this you are making massive assumptions and you are denying predictions coming from experiment and observations which would seem to refute some of your most fundamental assumptions. As many have pointed out before the physicists making these predictions and grappling with the issues are no fools, and the suggestion that they are involved in some group clandestine cover up is simply asinine.
So "assuming" that there is one, easily observable, Universe is credulous but assuming that there "may" be unobservable "multiverses" is "science"?

No wonder that "science" has degenerated into a playground for the insanely egomaniacal.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:33 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
And once again David your post is nothing but rhetoric. Is there any danger that you might post something with substance. Heck you couldn't even start this thread, you persuaded Lintar to do it. Why are you so afraid to be open about the reasons for what you believe, why have you never accepted the challenge to give examples and collaborative evidence to support your claims.
So what would you have me do, Arty? Define science? Define philosophy? Define Naturalism? Refute nonscience?

All a waste of time because you insist that anything that does not support your ideological prejudices is ipso facto "inadmissible evidence".

I am hoping for the day when you and your mates congregate in the F'n Ord-inary's crèche and I can get around to a proper argument with Lintar.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm

Lintar wrote:
There's quite a lot to respond to here, but I'll try.

Appreciated. As is the response itself.

Quote:
Response: Every single atheist I have ever met has also been a materialist, a person who also rejects the supernatural in general. Now, I perfectly understand that atheism is, strictly speaking, nothing more than a rejection of gods in all their forms, but I have to say that atheists (perhaps not ALL of them, but the overwhelming majority) also accept other things as being given (ex. that near-death experiences have a perfectly natural, neurochemical explanation and are not glimpses of an afterlife). If there are any atheists who are NOT materialists as well, then point them out for me.

Even if the statement "all atheists are materialists" was true, it would not support your claim that "atheists accept materialism without question". Materialism is not a 'Theory of Everything'. In other words, an atheist who was also a materialist would likely be one on the grounds that "materialism is our current best explanation of reality". The question is not whether near-death experiences are categorically the result of neurochemistry, it's whether that is a more plausible explanation than "I believe the light at the end of the tunnel was God".

Quote:
Response: The branch of naturalism is the basic, baseline definition of the term. The link I provide a couple of pages from here (the Stanford article) basically covers what I mean. I didn't say I really did 'believe' in the supernatural, but the whole point of this thread is to show that not only is baseline naturalism a philosophy of reality that is highly suspect, but that the supernatural cannot be ruled out simply because we happen to believe that the physical reality we are so familiar with is all there is (and because it is the only reality we currently have access to, although there are those who say they can see ghosts for example, but let's not get into that now. That's a different discussion).

I have to disagree with your definition of naturalism in that case. There are a multitude of branches within naturalism, but the core principle would be "only natural laws and forces operate in the world". Anything beyond this, i.e. Ethical Naturalism or Absolute/Metaphysical Naturalism, can be said to stem from this core principle, but they do not necessarily inform it.

Quote:
It's not about science, it's about philosophy.
Lintar wrote:
refuses to acknowledge the philosophical basis of the claim itself, instead treating it as something that has been scientifically demonstrated to be true

As demonstrated by the quote within a quote, it was you who challenged it on the grounds of scientific 'truth', which is as disingenuous as responding in the manner you did here.

Quote:
The claim that nature is all there is because it is all that we ourselves are aware of, can't be 'demonstrated to be untrue' using science, because it is not within the scope of the scientific method to actually address this question in the first place. If something really does exist beyond physical reality, then we will have to approach the issue with a bit more ingenuity and imagination, above and beyond just simply doing what we usually do (and no, I'm not suggesting we resort to 'psychic powers', astrology, intuition or any of those other methods that have clearly failed).

It isn't necessary to demonstrate that it's "untrue", but it would be valuable if it were demonstrated to be "true". I think you're rather missing the function and purpose of science.

Quote:
The scientific method can only deal with that which can be measured, weighed, classified and repeated. It cannot deal with one-off historical events, subjective personal experiences, morality, beauty, qualia, consciousness, and anything else that occurs outside the currently accepted materialistic paradigm. To say that it has these limitations is not a criticism of it, but an acknowledgement of the fact that the limitations it has are there for good reasons, for the specific function it serves (i.e. to uncover how things within our universe work, and why).

- One-off historical events - see http://bicepkeck.org/
- Subjective personal experiences - https://hbr.org/2012/01/the-science-behind-the-smile I rather like the optician metaphor.
- Morality - http://www.ted.com/talks/sam_harris_sci ... anguage=en
- Beauty falls under the category of subjective personal experiences, as do qualia.
- Consciousness http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/5/198 ... 5.abstract

Quote:
'Please elaborate on this' (i.e. the fact that evidence takes many forms).

I was asking you to elaborate on the suggestion that naturalism fails to acknowledge multiple forms of evidence, not that evidence takes many forms.

Quote:
Personal recollections of an event, for example, are not amenable to any tests that one could perform, and yet the objective existence of the past (another philosophical notion) is one that virtually no one denies.

Personal recollections of an event can be compared to footage from a camera, the recollections of other witnesses of the event and multiple re-tellings of the same event by a single witness.

Quote:
Scientism is a philosophical worldview. '2: an exaggerated trust in the efficacy of the methods of natural science applied to all areas of investigation (as in philosophy, the social sciences, and the humanities)', from the following link - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scientism

Scientism was coined as a derogatory term. That some scientists have wittily embraced it as a mock badge of honour doesn't really legitimise its use in this context.

Quote:
It's basically the belief that any and every conceivable issue, problem, mystery and so on, can be dealt with by using the scientific method.

You've yet to provide an example of anything that cannot be tested using the scientific method, so perhaps these practitioners of "Scientism" have a valid point.

Quote:
Yes, I cannot say for sure that 'God exists'; the term 'God' is one that I myself would prefer not to use, due to its religious connotations. I am, however, making the claim that the belief that nature is all there is (i.e. there is no supernatural realm) is one that is unsustainable, if only because we simply cannot know this.

Which is perfectly fine, but you're effectively arguing against what you might call "Natural Extremism". It's almost like arguing against Islam due to the actions of terrorists.

Quote:
How can we be so sure that, for example, reality really is real and we are not just characters in some kind of simulation, as some have seriously suggested? What kind of scientific test could be performed to determine this? Any sentient characters within such a simulation would be completely oblivious to the fact that the world they thought was so real actually wasn't.

Naturalism would still be a viable method of explaining the properties of the simulation, as long as it followed consistent rules that were measurable by the characters within said simulation.

Quote:
I do know that I exist. I don't accept the Solipsist position - at all.

Je pense donc je suis.

Quote:
If at any time I made the claim that God really does exist, then I take that back. I have tried here, and elsewhere, to show that something analogous to what we usually call God is at least plausible, although I cannot prove that God really does exist (obviously). I am of the view that, all else considered, the existence of God is far more plausible than its non-existence, and for reasons given here and elsewhere.

That was a general statement designed to demonstrate that positive assertions of God actually are irrational, rather than a suggestion that you had made a positive assertion of the existence of a god. If you have a concept of "god" that you think is plausible, I encourage you to present it here.

Quote:
What I mean't was, athiestic arguments that give good reasons to seriously doubt that the very notion of God itself is flawed (ex. it contains self-contradictory attributes, like a square circle). I have yet to come across any arguments put forth by any atheists that are actually convincing, or even raise serious doubts about the whole idea. Their efforts have, thus far, been rather mediocre, to say the least.

Agnostic atheists (i.e. the overwhelming majority of atheists) do not need to demonstrate that the notion of a god is flawed as they are making no positive assertions. The burden of proof is on those who claim the existence of a specific god with specific characteristics.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm

Oldavid wrote:
A bit of mutual back-slapping should help to sustain your interest in the unsustainable.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

Quote:
It seems to me that you equate "the free and honest expression of ideas" with the imposition of "ideas" initiated and sustained by the popular media.

Your misconceptions, whilst amusing, are hardly relevant.

Quote:
That an "idea" is relentlessly promoted in the popular media is no guarantee that it is in any way representative of truth or science.

Which of the specific ideas that I personally hold to did you wish to contend?

Quote:
I know from long experience that "well-reasoned and rational" means nothing other than it agrees with your ideological prejudices.

Oldavid said, with no apparent understanding of the inherent irony in such a statement.

You couldn't accurately define my personal ideology even were you to spend the next week researching everything I've posted on WP.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm

If "adifferentname" is not a speech-writer for a politician he has missed his true vocation. Uh oh! It seems that there is already another missive.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:21 am

adifferentname wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm
Incredible! All I wanted to do in that quiz was to quiz the inventors of the "questions" "What do you mean by that silly, misleading waffle?" Anyhow, according to that stupid nonsense I scored 3/(pick a number).

Anyhow, Mr anameforallseasons. You've made your point... "science" is a consensus of opinion of mass media sycophants. Anyone who disagrees will be tarred and feathered.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 1:06 am

Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
So what would you have me do, Arty? Define science? Define philosophy? Define Naturalism? Refute nonscience?

All a waste of time because you insist that anything that does not support your ideological prejudices is ipso facto "inadmissible evidence".

I am hoping for the day when you and your mates congregate in the F'n Ord-inary's crèche and I can get around to a proper argument with Lintar.

Well you could start by demonstrating how particles physics and the predictions it is making is "nonscience"

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 2:30 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Well you could start by demonstrating how particles physics and the predictions it is making is "nonscience"
You'd better start by distinguishing between "particles physics" and particles fantasy.

You see, Arty, I'm in the spectrum and I can't be relied on to run with popular fads.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 3:08 am

Once again you are evading a simple question. Provide corroborating evidence for.your assertion that contemporary particle physics is A. A fad and B. Nonscientific

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Mar 2015, 5:54 am

Lintar wrote:
Every single atheist I have ever met has also been a materialist, a person who also rejects the supernatural in general. Now, I perfectly understand that atheism is, strictly speaking, nothing more than a rejection of gods in all their forms, but I have to say that atheists (perhaps not ALL of them, but the overwhelming majority) also accept other things as being given (ex. that near-death experiences have a perfectly natural, neurochemical explanation and are not glimpses of an afterlife). If there are any atheists who are NOT materialists as well, then point them out for me.

Most Buddhists do not believe in a deity, but believe in a supernatural reality, reincarnation, etc.

Quote:
the whole point of this thread is to show that not only is baseline naturalism a philosophy of reality that is highly suspect, but that the supernatural cannot be ruled out simply because we happen to believe that the physical reality we are so familiar with is all there is

Whilst I'll happily go along with that, I would also suggest that there is no reason to believe in the supernatural. Rational persons do not believe in things without evidence, and by definition, there can be no evidence for the supernatural (otherwise it would be "natural").

Quote:
The scientific method can only deal with that which can be measured, weighed, classified and repeated. It cannot deal with one-off historical events, subjective personal experiences, morality, beauty, qualia, consciousness, and anything else that occurs outside the currently accepted materialistic paradigm. To say that it has these limitations is not a criticism of it, but an acknowledgement of the fact that the limitations it has are there for good reasons, for the specific function it serves (i.e. to uncover how things within our universe work, and why).

I would strongly dispute "consciousness", we know roughly how that happens. Detach someone's brain from their body and they'll stop being conscious. Even subjective personal experiences and beauty can be tested empirically to an extent.

Quote:
I am, however, making the claim that the belief that nature is all there is (i.e. there is no supernatural realm) is one that is unsustainable, if only because we simply cannot know this.

When you cannot know something, believe the null hypothesis.

Quote:
What I mean't was, athiestic arguments that give good reasons to seriously doubt that the very notion of God itself is flawed (ex. it contains self-contradictory attributes, like a square circle). I have yet to come across any arguments put forth by any atheists that are actually convincing, or even raise serious doubts about the whole idea. Their efforts have, thus far, been rather mediocre, to say the least.

OK, using what I think is your definition of "God":

1) All acts require time
2) God exists outside of time
3) Therefore, God cannot act
4) Creating the universe is an act
5) Therefore, God did not create the universe

The concept of a transcendent, eternal God that created the universe is self-contradictory.

(When I was first genuinely introduced to the concept of an eternally transcendent God, I was struck by how well it fitted with the idea of a perfect God, and I definitely see how that would appeal to people. However, perfection, eternity and transcendence are incompatible with creation)

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 6:17 am

Oldavid wrote:
Incredible! All I wanted to do in that quiz was to quiz the inventors of the "questions"

Naturally.

Quote:
"What do you mean by that silly, misleading waffle?" Anyhow, according to that stupid nonsense I scored 3/(pick a number).

The true test is whether you're egotistical enough to take it in the first place. That you saw fit to criticise the adequacy of the questions in an online quiz designed to evaluate narcissism is hilarious.

Quote:
Anyhow, Mr anameforallseasons. You've made your point... "science" is a consensus of opinion of mass media sycophants. Anyone who disagrees will be tarred and feathered.

As the only weapons in your meagre arsenal seem to be logical fallacies, I advise you to invest in a white flag.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:02 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Once again you are evading a simple question. Provide corroborating evidence for.your assertion that contemporary particle physics is A. A fad and B. Nonscientific
I don't recall ever having made such an assertion. And I think it very unlikely that I would do so, since I am very much fascinated with quantum mechanics and "particle physics" whatever that is.

However, with your history, it is very likely indeed that you would randomly apply specious accusations to me if it seemed convenient to you.

Anyhow, I can't see what "particle physics" has to do with the philosophical unsoundness of Naturalism.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:06 pm

Ok. Given that you have so far denied all attempts to characterize your understanding of what constitutes "real science" would you please, in your own words, enlighten us?