Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 9:54 am

There is an argument for having government provide medical coverage for the People. Medical coverage is vital to life and health (at least in some situations).

Food is equally vital to life and health. Without food, we died. Therefore, by the current logic, the government should be the agency that feeds the people.

We would all line up for our food allotment and bow to the burocrats who dole out our daily or weekly portion. And we better damned well be grateful, too.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:17 am

ruveyn wrote:
There is an argument for having government provide medical coverage for the People. Medical coverage is vital to life and health (at least in some situations).

Food is equally vital to life and health. Without food, we died. Therefore, by the current logic, the government should be the agency that feeds the people.

We would all line up for our food allotment and bow to the burocrats who dole out our daily or weekly portion. And we better damned well be grateful, too.

ruveyn

Instead of debasing ourselves to a corporation for granting us a job?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:37 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Farming subsidies.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:40 am

skafather84 wrote:

Farming subsidies.

They have existed for far too long. Subsidies to corporations funded by tax payers will have to be abolished if there is going to be any sense to our economy.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:41 am

Slippery slope eh.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:41 am

I'm just saying that you're talking about government feeding people but if you consider the various farming subsidies, it does encourage more growth of crops and what not and has made our food cheaper, thereby feeding more of us.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:44 am

That was very fashionable back in the days of the Roman Republic

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 10:45 am

Laz wrote:

Note how Rome ended up.

What the U.S. needs is ideas and inventions, not Bread and Circuses.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
Laz wrote:

Note how Rome ended up.

ruveyn

Feel free to invent.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:05 am

Sand wrote:

Feel free to invent.

I am doing so. I do not expect the government to be of much help so I invest in private ventures. Maybe one of them will pay off.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:13 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Feel free to invent.

I am doing so. I do not expect the government to be of much help so I invest in private ventures. Maybe one of them will pay off.

ruveyn

From what I know about inventions and inventors you'd probably do better at Las Vegas.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:14 am

The government already controls the production and distribution of food.

See:

http://www.enotes.com/supreme-court-dra ... -v-filburn

Congress controls how and with what we wipe our arses by way of the Interstate Commerce Clause.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:17 am

ruveyn wrote:

See:

Congress controls how and with what we wipe our arses by way of the Interstate Commerce Clause.

ruveyn

But apparently not well enough to prevent regular outbreaks of salmonella.and massive recalls of dangerous food.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:17 am

ruveyn wrote:
Laz wrote:

Note how Rome ended up.

ruveyn

Note how the roman republic ended up? A minor latin league settlement that eventually grew to dominate the mediterranian and significant areas of Europe, North Africa and the Middle east for several centuries?

Well you've been around for just over two centuries I'd say that was a good innings for being a dominant power. But not all societies remain the top dog forever, especially ones that begin to look inwardly entrapped in self absorption.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

See:

ruveyn

But apparently not well enough to prevent regular outbreaks of salmonella.and massive recalls of dangerous food.

Shhh. He's getting into the whole paranoid "AHMYGODTHEGOVERNMENTISEVERYWHERE" thing. It's the natural course for a conservative.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 12:10 pm

Laz wrote:
Note how the roman republic ended up? A minor latin league settlement that eventually grew to dominate the mediterranian and significant areas of Europe, North Africa and the Middle east for several centuries?

Well you've been around for just over two centuries I'd say that was a good innings for being a dominant power. But not all societies remain the top dog forever, especially ones that begin to look inwardly entrapped in self absorption.

Laz, some food for thought; not a provocation
In the modern study of intentional relations one usually states that what happens in around fifteen years today is what used to happen in about in about a century. Considering the pace of the modern world the United States is an enduring successful power.

You mention that Rome held a great deal of territory. The United States's power is in its navy and air-bases. When one considers this as the modern equivalent of territory then it is the largest power since Genghis Kahn.

Was not spoken of the soul.