Battlers for tolerance engage in actual persecution

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

starkid wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Contrary to your insinuation, it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with success.

How would you know?! I was addressing Kraichgauer's post, not yours.

Because you had responded to my quote.
And as to respond to you: what Aristophanes said.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 1:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/should-businesses-that-quietly-oppose-gay-marriage-be-destroyed/389489/

Quote:
What do white evangelicals, Muslims, Mormons, blacks, conservative Republicans, and immigrants from Africa, South America, and Central America all have in common? They're less likely to support gay marriage than the average Californian. Over the years, I've patronized restaurants owned by members of all those groups. Today, if I went out into Greater Los Angeles and chatted up owners of mom-and-pop restaurants, I'd sooner or later find one who would decline to cater a gay wedding. The owners might be members of Rick Warren's church in Orange County. Or a family of immigrants in Little Ethiopia or on Olvera Street. Or a single black man or woman in Carson or Inglewood or El Segundo.

Should we destroy their livelihoods?

If I recorded audio proving their intent to discriminate against a hypothetical catering client and I gave the audio to you, would you post it on the Internet and encourage the general public to boycott, write nasty reviews, and drive them out of business, causing them to lay off their staff, lose their life savings, and hope for other work? If that fate befell a Mormon father with five kids or a childless Persian couple in their fifties or a Hispanic woman who sunk her nest egg into a pupusa truck, should that, do you think, be considered a victory for the gay-rights movement?

But they are the ones who started by saying they would refuse business to gay people. Then other people refuse to do business with them. When your business is reliant on customers it is part of your job not to alienate potential customers and make sure you have a decent public image.
Around here there is a store that decided to stop selling products from Israel, so they were boycotted by the pro-Israel crowd and maybe got a few more customers from the pro-Palestine crowd. It's a business decision. I personally prefer to buy stuff based on product and price regardless of who made it, but not everyone is a capitalist.

And another thing: the business that would've gone to the bigoted people in that article isn't gone, the money went to someone who was better able to have a decent public image (a non-bigot, or a bigot that keeps it to himself for business reasons).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

A few years ago when Chick-fil-A's CEO spoke out against gay marriage business actually picked up when like minded customers flocked to thier stores. I think it was like a 29 % increase in sales for a while.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

Raptor wrote:
A few years ago when Chick-fil-A's CEO spoke out against gay marriage business actually picked up when like minded customers flocked to thier stores. I think it was like a 29 % increase in sales for a while.
pity about the backlash from right-minded people like the Jim Henson company. the sales increase you're attributing to Cathy was probably the work of Huckabee. in any event, making this kind of statement in today's world is just shooting yourself in the foot from a business perspective.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 12:10 pm

What angers me is the false flag nature of all the debate.

Most gays/lesbians have no issue if a Christian florist, caterer or photographer doesn't wish to do their wedding...no more than they would want to have to have a gay business do something for an anti-gay group planning a protest rally.

Frankly, it's groups with an agenda going out and making a fuss. The businesses attacked for standing their ground are often attacked by these groups, not by any identifiable "victim."

In the end, you can't force a person to do business with someone else against their wishes. There are some grounds upon which you can't refuse to do business with someone, but there is a limit to what that is. A baker could be made to sell a cake to someone who just walks in, but special occasion cakes might be problematic based on the special occasion. Ultimately, unless there is a proven absence of options (meaning they are the only provider in town), nobody is harmed because they have to go to another baker, florist or photographer. At most, a secular or otherwise "for hire" wedding venue would inflict harm if the locale was truly unique and a highly desired location with no equivalent readily available.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

Most gays/lesbians have no issue if a Christian florist, caterer or photographer doesn't wish to do their wedding...no more than they would want to have to have a gay business do something for an anti-gay group planning a protest rally.

Frankly, it's groups with an agenda going out and making a fuss. The businesses attacked for standing their ground are often attacked by these groups, not by any identifiable "victim."

In the end, you can't force a person to do business with someone else against their wishes. There are some grounds upon which you can't refuse to do business with someone, but there is a limit to what that is. A baker could be made to sell a cake to someone who just walks in, but special occasion cakes might be problematic based on the special occasion. Ultimately, unless there is a proven absence of options (meaning they are the only provider in town), nobody is harmed because they have to go to another baker, florist or photographer. At most, a secular or otherwise "for hire" wedding venue would inflict harm if the locale was truly unique and a highly desired location with no equivalent readily available.

They certainly can be forced to cater to a customer, even if the business owner is racist. We've just grown in our collective consciousness as a society that most of us include sexual orientation with race, or religion, as reason for not denying service.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2015, 12:16 pm

How To Tell If Your Society Is Heading Towards Collapse, #234789: The phrase "social justice warrior" not only exists, but is used as an insult.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 1:43 pm

genesis529 wrote:
How To Tell If Your Society Is Heading Towards Collapse, #234789: The phrase "social justice warrior" not only exists, but is used as an insult.

If the truth be known, I'd rather be known as a social justice warrior than a culture warrior.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
genesis529 wrote:

If the truth be known, I'd rather be known as a social justice warrior than a culture warrior.

Agreed. When do we start the meetings?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

They certainly can be forced to cater to a customer, even if the business owner is racist. We've just grown in our collective consciousness as a society that most of us include sexual orientation with race, or religion, as reason for not denying service.

Without taking a side on this subject in particular, I'm just going to point out that collective consciousness is complete bullcrap. We'll fight for the right for someone to be able cater from someone who hates them, but we probably wouldn't lift a finger to save that person's life or many people's lives.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x