Page 4 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:15 pm

natural plastic, I don't want to argue the point of seven days, but do see this part of Genesis CH.1 split into two halves.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 4:47 pm

...Yes ?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 7:44 pm

Inventor wrote:
The creation story is Sumarian. The creation of light, drawing land from the water. Their gods were natural forces, wind, rain, light. Ea, Entil, Enke, which must have done it in their godlike method.

The Bible credits the new local tribal god with doing it all.

Sumarians credit the Anunakki with making all things in their creation chamber for the first time. The Bible skips how all tools and domestic animals and grains were developed.

The Anunakki were mostly female, a fairly large group, The Bible has one male god.

Sumner was called The Land of Four Quarters. Sin the Moon Goddess, did decree every seventh day, full moon, dark of moon, and the half moons, to be a day of rest. 5,000 years later the Bible god claims he did that.

Sumarian stories date from before the Black Haired People were created, The Bible dates to around 1543 BC.

It is after people with weapons of iron and chariots hunted and drove the killer slaves all the way to Egypt.

Stolen stories and made up tribal gods aside, it is a reasonable history of the Black Haired People, their creation by the gods in 4004 BC, or 5800 years ago. Their nature is also shown by their created god who is wrathful, vengeful, angry, and commands they slaughter everyone they meet. Their god loves them as they are.

They say they were made out of mud. They say there were other creations before them. Egypt was not of their tribe. They are special because their god is a psychopath. Others want to work and produce, their god tells them to kill and steal.

The Bible is the story of a Paleolithic people raised to be slaves and grow grain. After doing that for thousands of years, they murder their teachers. They are driven out of The Land of Four Quarters, driven to Egypt, where growing grain has high status, but they are fed and assigned to making mud bricks. They kill the person who was feeding them.

Mt Thera blows up, a tidal wave wipes out the delta, the army goes to do relief work, The Black Haired People steal swords, rob houses, and declare themselves the gods of Egypt. Then someone tells them the army is coming back, and they flee into the wilderness. They hide out for forty years.

This is not the story of the creation of the Universe, or even Earth, it is the history of one tribe.

They were created by the gods, were rejected for just murdering everyone, by Sumaria, Baal, Egypt's gods, so they made up their own who approved of them, loved only them, and told them to kill everyone else.

Now, these vile black haired people... Are you talking about the Hebrews? To be sure, they were hardly the only dark haired people in the ancient Middle East. Nor were they the only ones who had had a bloody history.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 8:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inventor wrote:
The creation story is Sumarian. The creation of light, drawing land from the water. Their gods were natural forces, wind, rain, light. Ea, Entil, Enke, which must have done it in their godlike method.

The Bible credits the new local tribal god with doing it all.

Sumarians credit the Anunakki with making all things in their creation chamber for the first time. The Bible skips how all tools and domestic animals and grains were developed.

The Anunakki were mostly female, a fairly large group, The Bible has one male god.

Sumner was called The Land of Four Quarters. Sin the Moon Goddess, did decree every seventh day, full moon, dark of moon, and the half moons, to be a day of rest. 5,000 years later the Bible god claims he did that.

Sumarian stories date from before the Black Haired People were created, The Bible dates to around 1543 BC.

It is after people with weapons of iron and chariots hunted and drove the killer slaves all the way to Egypt.

Stolen stories and made up tribal gods aside, it is a reasonable history of the Black Haired People, their creation by the gods in 4004 BC, or 5800 years ago. Their nature is also shown by their created god who is wrathful, vengeful, angry, and commands they slaughter everyone they meet. Their god loves them as they are.

They say they were made out of mud. They say there were other creations before them. Egypt was not of their tribe. They are special because their god is a psychopath. Others want to work and produce, their god tells them to kill and steal.

The Bible is the story of a Paleolithic people raised to be slaves and grow grain. After doing that for thousands of years, they murder their teachers. They are driven out of The Land of Four Quarters, driven to Egypt, where growing grain has high status, but they are fed and assigned to making mud bricks. They kill the person who was feeding them.

Mt Thera blows up, a tidal wave wipes out the delta, the army goes to do relief work, The Black Haired People steal swords, rob houses, and declare themselves the gods of Egypt. Then someone tells them the army is coming back, and they flee into the wilderness. They hide out for forty years.

This is not the story of the creation of the Universe, or even Earth, it is the history of one tribe.

They were created by the gods, were rejected for just murdering everyone, by Sumaria, Baal, Egypt's gods, so they made up their own who approved of them, loved only them, and told them to kill everyone else.

Now, these vile black haired people... Are you talking about the Hebrews? To be sure, they were hardly the only dark haired people in the ancient Middle East. Nor were they the only ones who had had a bloody history.

The Sumerians were known (or their name translates as) "the Dark Haired People". I dont think of the Sumerians as being 'villanious' though.

Though that IS kinda puzzling because every ethnic group in the Middle East is rather dark haired by European standards.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 7:32 am

The dark haired people in contrast with the light haired people, called the gods.

Before the drying of 8,000 years ago, there are a people in Eurasia. They had the Human Explosion of 38,000 years ago, developed language, technology, domesticated plants and animals. They are the first people of the Mesolithic.

The rest of the world is as Paleolithic as it had been for several million years.

Who are the Black Haired People?

They are of the same line as the gods, except the gods then mated with Neanderthal 125,000 years ago, again at 80,000 years, and migrated north into the cold.

Shared traits of the larger group, thrown spear, throwing stick, hafted axe, and wavy hair. They reach from Australia to Ethiopian highlands. Australians were the most isolated after 40,000 years ago, so that is what the local Paleolithic people were like in looks and intelligence.

The warming that caused the Sahara was sudden, and hard on everyone. Even the people north in the highlands moved. Catal Huyuk 13,000 to 8,000 BP was abandoned then.

Sea level has been rising a foot in a hundred years, so 8,000 years ago it was 80 foot lower, and where the rivers flowed through what is now the Persian Gulf, appears a people who grow irrigated grain. There is no development phase, no Proto Sumarian, they appear with fully developed writing, a large vocabulary Indo European language, a system of mathematics based on twenty, sixty, three hundred sixty.

They build raised rectangular multi story houses in mud brick. They have metals, statues, musical instruments, gold jewelry, and a social order where some have high status. Their grave goods include all of the household goods and the staff of servants.

The local Paleolithic people who survived had the thrown spear, throwing stick, hafted axe, and perhaps a six hundred word vocabulary. They were a crop pest, eating the grain in the field before it ripened. They were also dangerous, animal strong, and killers of their own kind. If two groups met stealing grain from the gods, they would attack each other, making a mess in the field. They would also attack field workers, because they ate the grain from there.

The only answer was an organized hunt, a baited field, and slaughter. A few children were taken as pets, and grew into slaves. There were problems with males becoming adults and killing anything near. Females were less aggressive, and could be trained for field work and even household labor.

All human males have standards, they will only have sex with things they can catch.

The result of this mating was still considered an animal, but it was less of all things not liked about the wild version. It was a bit lighter in color, slightly smarter, learned quicker, could learn more, and was less likely to kill you.

They had short lives, half the life of a god. To them the gods were immortal. Their lives were shorter yet because problems came with mature ones, the desire to dominate, kill, have sex, so they were culled from the herd.

The gods knew a thing or two. Bos Primagenus the Aroch starts cattle, and they are all black with a white stripe down both sides of the back. By the time we get to paintings in The Hall of the Bulls, bulls are white with black spots, or have patches of red, orange, black, on a white background. Only selective breeding does this, and the first selection would be for bulls that did not kill humans on sight.

That one was bred to the herd, and his sons chosen for being people friendly. If not friendly, fearful, knowing humans with ropes could dominate them.

The gods tried, but were disappointed that none of their breeds came out white with black spots, or with splotches of red, orange, black on a white background. All they got was black becoming brown skin. Hair and eyes stayed dark.

They did get a docile male line, did breed up pens of field workers, expanded the plantings, and grew many times what would be needed to feed a few gods and a lot of slaves. 95% of what they grew was exported.

Most slaves were half breeds bred to half breeds then selected for traits. Some house slaves were bred to the gods once or twice more.

It was a working system as over the next thousand years the plantations expanded, new mounds were built to house new local gods, with their own pens of slaves and export grain market. The amount of grain produced between the rivers was massive. Along the Syrian coast, Turkey to Lebanon, was all planted in olives. Ship loads of olive oil were exported.

Our history has judged this from findings at Ur and Karnak, by the coast of the Persian Gulf. Hence the dating given. They did not consider sea level rise, and that those are the last towns of Sumer. Also, we know the warming from other sources, which makes the move to irrigated river farming several thousand years older.

This grain and olive oil business ran from 8,000 to 4,000 years ago without many problems. Then there were some slave revolts, three in 500 years, then the slaves were killed, weapons of iron, and Mount Thera dumped several meters of ash on the olives, improved climate made north of the Black Sea productive again.

Breed anything, you get traits you want and throwbacks to the worst. Overall the gods seem to have given up, as slave revolts became more common. When the whole economy collapsed, surviving browns scattered in all directions, in most they were killed.

Mount Thera ended a literate age and writing was forgotten for a thousand years.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 2:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its like telling your kid "dont get a job until have work experience"

I had to laugh at this one - it's absurdly common on the hiring side even if it's like telling the kid at the fast food taco chain drive-thru that you want a hard taco but in a soft shell, but a soft taco won't due and a double-decker won't due either.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:22 pm

willfully so.

Breaking Enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2015, 4:48 pm

Well, no, I don't believe someone is stupid for holding a harmless world view that differs from others. It takes a radical, unorthodox, modernist Protestant understanding of Holy Scripture to hold such a world view, but it doesn't make one stupid.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 6:15 pm

Breaking Enigma wrote:
Well, no, I don't believe someone is stupid for holding a harmless world view that differs from others. It takes a radical, unorthodox, modernist Protestant understanding of Holy Scripture to hold such a world view, but it doesn't make one stupid.

From your avatar, I will take a wild guess and assume that you were raised in one of the more theologically conservative branches of Lutheranism. As a matter of fact, so was I - precisely, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, of which I am still a member. While my church body officially holds to some positions that are too literal for my own taste, I'm hardly the only member who disagrees. In fact, one of the Missouri Synod's leading theologians advocates the big bang theory, and has no problem rejecting a young earth. I hardly think I'm going to make my church body change it's official viewpoint, but as I have grown up in the Lutheran tradition, I also believe that I have the right and duty to stand by my convictions. Here I stand, I can do no other.
As far as holding to an allegedly "harmless world view" - it's questionable about just how harmless that view is, as it's proponents wish to have notions of a young earth, complete without evolution, taught in our public school systems. This is at a time when America risks falling far behind the rest of the industrialized world, particularly in the sciences. We've seen what has happened to societies in the Middle East that have chosen to publicly follow a literal interpretation of Islam. Am I saying that a Christian fundamentalist America could lapse into the fanatical bloodshed of the Islamic world? Absolutely not. But our country could just as easily fall irreparably back into a world of superstition and ignorance that comes naturally with any form of fundamentalism, Christian, Muslim, or any other.

Breaking Enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2015, 10:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Breaking Enigma wrote:

From your avatar, I will take a wild guess and assume that you were raised in one of the more theologically conservative branches of Lutheranism. As a matter of fact, so was I - precisely, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, of which I am still a member. While my church body officially holds to some positions that are too literal for my own taste, I'm hardly the only member who disagrees. In fact, one of the Missouri Synod's leading theologians advocates the big bang theory, and has no problem rejecting a young earth. I hardly think I'm going to make my church body change it's official viewpoint, but as I have grown up in the Lutheran tradition, I also believe that I have the right and duty to stand by my convictions. Here I stand, I can do no other.
As far as holding to an allegedly "harmless world view" - it's questionable about just how harmless that view is, as it's proponents wish to have notions of a young earth, complete without evolution, taught in our public school systems. This is at a time when America risks falling far behind the rest of the industrialized world, particularly in the sciences. We've seen what has happened to societies in the Middle East that have chosen to publicly follow a literal interpretation of Islam. Am I saying that a Christian fundamentalist America could lapse into the fanatical bloodshed of the Islamic world? Absolutely not. But our country could just as easily fall irreparably back into a world of superstition and ignorance that comes naturally with any form of fundamentalism, Christian, Muslim, or any other.

I wasn't raised Christian at all, but I am, in fact, a Conservative Lutheran of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Good call. I'm not a believer in evolution myself, but I'm also not a believer in Young Earth Creationism because it contradicts science and logic before our very eyes, and David writes that 1,000 years to God are as a day and vice versa, and Peter again says the same thing in the New Testament. I view the creation of the earth the way we Lutherans view the Eucharist: we don't know how or when the Bread and Wine becomes Body and Blood, but we believe it because God said it; in that same sense I believe God created the earth. The how and when is a mystery. But YEC wasn't believed by the early church or the Jews, it defies everything we can clearly see, and the Holy Scriptures themselves tell us that God is beyond time and space. All that is important to me is that God did it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 1:08 am

Breaking Enigma wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Breaking Enigma wrote:

I wasn't raised Christian at all, but I am, in fact, a Conservative Lutheran of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Good call. I'm not a believer in evolution myself, but I'm also not a believer in Young Earth Creationism because it contradicts science and logic before our very eyes, and David writes that 1,000 years to God are as a day and vice versa, and Peter again says the same thing in the New Testament. I view the creation of the earth the way we Lutherans view the Eucharist: we don't know how or when the Bread and Wine becomes Body and Blood, but we believe it because God said it; in that same sense I believe God created the earth. The how and when is a mystery. But YEC wasn't believed by the early church or the Jews, it defies everything we can clearly see, and the Holy Scriptures themselves tell us that God is beyond time and space. All that is important to me is that God did it.

Other than the question of evolution, I am in total agreement with you. 8)

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 5:39 am

If there is a God, he could create the world anyway He wished. I suppose it could have been over billions of years, though I believe that contradicts the Genesis account. I suppose that a "day" could be longer than 24 hours, even though the Genesis account clearly states that "evening and morning" make one day. I suppose that the Genesis account could be poetic.

I personally do not think that the young/old earth controversy is a hill to die on. I hold to my beliefs (call me stupid if you will), but I don't think someone is not a Christian if they believe the earth is old. I also am NOT one who thinks that only a 6-day creation should be taught in school, if at all. So, definitely do NOT call me dangerous! (Great way to throw other Christians under the bus, BTW, Kraichgauer.)

I think Creation (whether relatively recent or long ago) is a miracle, something outside the normal happenings of the natural world, just like the virgin birth or resurrection.

I completely understand that origin science and evolution are *different*. However, they go hand in hand. If one is talking about how natural processes bring about such changes in animals where one can gradually change from one thing into another, it is not a far stretch to wonder how chemicals found each other in the exact right proportions to allow these changes to take place.

Evolution requires that the earth has always operated as it has now. We just don't know *for sure* that it did. I've heard some pretty compelling arguments about how processes would be sped up and lives would be longer given an increase in oxygen levels in the atmosphere. Faster processes would allow for a younger earth. A worldwide flood could also cause many of the geological evidence that most assume reveals an old earth. But, if one throws out the idea of a worldwide flood then they leave only one explanation for the evidence.

I have a lot of questions that make me "distrust" the theory of evolution. This doesn't make me stupid.

My biggest one is: how did humans come to dominate other animals? We take the longest time of all animals to reach maturity, and compared to many animals, we are extremely vulnerable. How did we develop minds of reason before we were wiped out by predators?

Not stupid. A skeptic.

If you are calling me stupid for not believing what you believe, it's not on *me* to prove my beliefs and provide evidence. It's up to YOU to prove to me that you are correct. You don't say "Hey, you're stupid, prove to me you're right." You say, "Hey, you're stupid, I'm going to show you why." If I don't think you've proven your argument well enough, sorry.

What I *really, really, really* do not get is how a whole bunch of people on a forum like WP who have all been dismissed in the larger world, being called stupid for not getting all kinds of stuff, like social interaction, are so easily able to turn around and call other people stupid because they don't get something you think is obvious. Unreal.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:19 am

nerdygirl wrote:
My biggest one is: how did humans come to dominate other animals? We take the longest time of all animals to reach maturity, and compared to many animals, we are extremely vulnerable. How did we develop minds of reason before we were wiped out by predators?

Indeed-compared to many other animals we are blind, deaf and weak with no sense of smell. We have an absurdly long childhood during which we must be protected or we will die. It all seems like a recipe for failure but look closer. Within those apparent disadvantages are the seeds of our success.

'We take the longest time of all animals to reach maturity'- the human baby is born with an unfinished brain. Having that brain complete its development outside the womb means exposure to more stimuli and more neural connections i.e. smart. The flip side of that is a longer time spent dangerously defenseless compared to many other animals but we are social creatures and do the defending and caretaking for them.

'We are extremely vulnerable'- weak,blind, deaf,no sense of smell, can't fly, can barely swim, run slowly, climb not very deftly etc. But the flip side of vulnerability is adaptability. We aren't a superior fit for any one specific niche but that means we are an 'ok, make it work' fit for nearly all of them. We are the ultimate generalists and can use our brains (those of us that survived dangerous infancy) to 'make it work' in any environment. No fur and it's cold? We'll skin another animal and wear its fur. Weak with no claws? We'll attach a sharp rock to a stick and use it to stab another animal.

Other advantages: we can eat a broad range of food. That also has helped us spread over the planet. We can always find something to eat. We developed flexible language which has allowed us a huge range of communication. Birds communicate with each other via sound too, but they are locked into a handful of bird calls which is very limiting. We can sweat if needed and pace ourselves running so even if we can't reach the top speed of other animals, we can run for a longer time if at a slower speed. We can also adapt and suddenly climb a tree to get away from a faster predator.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:27 am

nerdygirl wrote:
What I *really, really, really* do not get is how a whole bunch of people on a forum like WP who have all been dismissed in the larger world, being called stupid for not getting all kinds of stuff, like social interaction, are so easily able to turn around and call other people stupid because they don't get something you think is obvious. Unreal.

That's a fair point. But it seems to be an unfortunate tendency of humans to treat others as we are treated rather than the more virtuous way of treating others as we wish we were treated.

Breaking Enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2015, 9:35 am

Janissy wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

That's a fair point. But it seems to be an unfortunate tendency of humans to treat others as we are treated rather than the more virtuous way of treating others as we wish we were treated.

If only we had instructions on how to treat others... :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:40 am

nerdygirl-

When did I throw anyone under the bus?