Why Do Girls Wear Tighter and/or More Revealing Clothes?

Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 9:13 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Just because you find what a particular woman is wearing to be sexy, revealing, attractive, irresistible, inappropriate, embarrassing or whatever...the chance that she picked those clothing to communicate something to you, personally as an individual male, is slim to nil unless you are her significant other. So don't presume anything based on a woman's clothes. She chose them either based on how she feels about herself and her clothing, or based on the person who gave her those clothing, or based on the person she went out to meet.

Unless she's in a known hookup zone, don't base your interactions with her on what she's wearing. She didn't put it on to turn you on.
**No I don't speak for all women. I speak for myself, and I speak for women who are sick of rape culture**
#SickOfIt

on the same line of thought, I'm sick of wearing big hoodies and coats when I walk home at night, clutching my pepper spray in my pocket, so that predatory men either won't notice I'm a female walking alone or if they do and start harassing or assaulting me I can hopefully spray them and run away. I don't know any woman who doesn't feel afraid walking home at night, and I know many women including myself who have had one or more experiences with being harassed and assaulted just while walking home after dark. Is it not funny how women's clothing is designed to show what our bodies look like, but then we need to hide our bodies in attempt to evade men as well?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

Our Victorian grandparents of only a few generations back wore more clothing to the beach than women wear today to parties. Men and women alike wore swim suits that covered most of their bodies.

And as far as being "revealing" its peaches and pears to compare the two genders. Their secondary sex characteristics are different, and the effects of the sight of those gender only traits on the opposite sex are not the same.

What would a man wear that would be "revealing" in a way that would be equivalent to a lady wearing low cleavage?

Maybe see through pockets to show how much money he has in his wallet? Lol!

A guy on motorcycle IS kinda like that: the vehicle between his legs is kind of a phallic symbol, and its also a mating display showing off access to resources.

The victorians of both genders wore more clothes than we do now, and women of that era wore more clothes than men of of that time, or men of today wear.

Victorian ladies had to cover their bodies head to ankle in dresses that concealed, AND they ALSO had to wear corsettes underneath to force their bodies into an extreme hourglass shape to show through the concealing clothes (kinda like the MX missle system of the Reagan era; for concealing and revealing at the same time).

Immodest modesty. Funny how humans do that. Men in stone age tribes in New Guinea wear penis sheaths: to cover their stuff- but are made in the shape of their stuff (but in bigger size) at the same time.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 9:45 pm

Edited out by moderator for offensive content.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
My question is similar.

How come men's clothing is designed with either comfort or functionality/practicality as the primary consideration?

While women's clothing is designed with how sexy she'll look in it to a straight man as the primary consideration?

Men and women are not equal. This is not because of anything women have done. It's because when you average everything else out, men are stronger: physically, socially and economically (this is from a historical perspective across millenia, not just the way it is now, and anecdotal examples of strong/rich/powerful women or weak/poor/subservient men in the current picture do not wipe out the rest of history) men have more say over what women do than women do over what men do.

But one thing should really try to understand about why women wear what they wear:

Just because you find what a particular woman is wearing to be sexy, revealing, attractive, irresistible, inappropriate, embarrassing or whatever...the chance that she picked those clothing to communicate something to you, personally as an individual male, is slim to nil unless you are her significant other. So don't presume anything based on a woman's clothes. She chose them either based on how she feels about herself and her clothing, or based on the person who gave her those clothing, or based on the person she went out to meet.

Unless she's in a known hookup zone, don't base your interactions with her on what she's wearing. She didn't put it on to turn you on.
**No I don't speak for all women. I speak for myself, and I speak for women who are sick of rape culture**
#SickOfIt

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2015, 3:05 pm

KimD wrote:
Varelse wrote:
KimD wrote:
Are you accusing us of not caring about a child's relationship with their father??

Of course not. I found the focus on his choice of attire odd, that is all.

Ok; I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding on my part. :sunny:

I want to thank you for letting me know how it looked to you. The phrasing in my post could have been better; it's easy to see how it could feel like a judgement on you and your friends. That would be quite hypocritical on my part, as I have on occasion caught myself reacting in surprise to a parent's hairstyle and clothing, only to reflect on how this was causing me to miss the more important information (how they and the child(ren) interact, etc).

I'm not especially thrilled with our society's emphasis on what I would consider superficial details over essential traits, but that is no excuse to call someone out on it. I am sorry it looked that way, and I can see how it would.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 3:30 pm

seaweed wrote:
yeah, they are much bigger and because their pants are generally baggier you can't tell as easily. I want to get some cargo pants designed for female bodies with different sized pockets everywhere, oooh and also a stylish fanny pack (if either of these exist). personally I hate purses and use a mini-backpack.

The term "fanny pack" gets a snigger from both men an women in the UK. :lol: Lets just say that one is lost in translation.

The best cargo shorts are the one that have pocket with zips, that is useful on holiday. I have some with a mixture of buttons and zipped pockets, three quarter length.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 3:48 pm

seaweed wrote:
on the same line of thought, I'm sick of wearing big hoodies and coats when I walk home at night, clutching my pepper spray in my pocket, so that predatory men either won't notice I'm a female walking alone or if they do and start harassing or assaulting me I can hopefully spray them and run away. I don't know any woman who doesn't feel afraid walking home at night, and I know many women including myself who have had one or more experiences with being harassed and assaulted just while walking home after dark. Is it not funny how women's clothing is designed to show what our bodies look like, but then we need to hide our bodies in attempt to evade men as well?

I understand why you do this, but your hoodie can restricts your peripheral vision somewhat, which is useful from a self defense standpoint. At least make sure you get as wide a field of view as possible.

I'm a hypocrite myself, but is something to be aware of. Also headphones or ear buds / phone fixation are bad from a self defense standpoint (this is extremely common these days). General awareness of your environment is important.

I trained for some years self defense/martial arts. Sorry if this comes across as patronising, make of it want you wish.

If you can walk with your head held up this is better, however this can be hard for some people (including myself). Stick to street light and main roads as much as possible. Walk down the the middle of the side walk not too close to either side.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 4:40 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
seaweed wrote:
yeah, they are much bigger and because their pants are generally baggier you can't tell as easily. I want to get some cargo pants designed for female bodies with different sized pockets everywhere, oooh and also a stylish fanny pack (if either of these exist). personally I hate purses and use a mini-backpack.

The term "fanny pack" gets a snigger from both men an women in the UK. :lol: Lets just say that one is lost in translation.

The best cargo shorts are the one that have pocket with zips, that is useful on holiday. I have some with a mixture of buttons and zipped pockets, three quarter length.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 1:12 am

0_equals_true wrote:
seaweed wrote:

I understand why you do this, but your hoodie can restricts your peripheral vision somewhat, which is useful from a self defense standpoint. At least make sure you get as wide a field of view as possible.

I'm a hypocrite myself, but is something to be aware of. Also headphones or ear buds / phone fixation are bad from a self defense standpoint (this is extremely common these days). General awareness of your environment is important.

I trained for some years self defense/martial arts. Sorry if this comes across as patronising, make of it want you wish.

If you can walk with your head held up this is better, however this can be hard for some people (including myself). Stick to street light and main roads as much as possible. Walk down the the middle of the side walk not too close to either side.

I don't put the hood up (or wear earbuds or use my phone), I meant it in the way that a big hoodie or coat will obscure my body below my head, so that my figure is not instantly recognizable as a female's. I need to work on keeping my head up/good posture, but I do walk "with a purpose" which i know is supposed to help. unfortunately I live quite a ways away from downtown and in a "sketchy" area, so I can't feasibly avoid walking down unlit and less frequented roads. what kind of martial arts/self defense training have you trained in? I want to take a self defense class but I'm not sure which type yet.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 1:16 am

blauSamstag wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
seaweed wrote:

I lol'd!! ! :lol:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 8:27 pm

Verdandi wrote:
. . . (excellent post, but I want to respond to . . .)

As for why men are supposed to protect women, it's a form of benevolent sexism, viewing women as weak and in need of protection whereas men are viewed as strong and self sufficient. This sort of chivalry isn't always (or even necessarily by default) good for women, and in ways has been used to control women.

This was what I was trying to tell the psychologist who diagnosed me (at 56!) My family's conduct was seen (by that kind man) as detestable, as he "should have protected me." I saw my brother's conduct as "spending time with me", my uncle's conduct as "spending time with me," and any discomfort or unhappy dreams or scoldings or spankings or threats of the paddle or belt, was just a part of life, not aware that it might be an autistic girl's' reaction to the life in which I found myself. However the truth had to be sacrificed on the altar of "Society" so "Chivalry's Benevolence" could be perpetrated . . .

but to answer the original post question:

Because those they want to emulate wear such garments. Who are their heroes? (can't say heroines, because that got messed up with dope, ages ago) Do they watch stuff that has women garbed so? Can they readily buy such for lower than discount? There are a lot of factors at work here, but believe me, women get the fact that men lose interest if the girl isn't gullible, and wearing heavily marketed "hyper-sexy" makeup and clothing points to gullible women ->

epsilon_zero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
My question is similar.

#SickOfIt

EXACTLY.
I don't know why so many other men, um boys, don't understand that simple truth.

I guess some people just do not know how to tame the animal side.

There are gender differences observable in the entire mammal world. If you think about the mechanics of the mammal and the functionality that each has to play in the reproduction process. This is an underlying neural pattern for much of a mammals behavior. The genetic donor instinctively seeks out and seeds in order to propagate the species, while the genetic receptor must at times lower defenses and become vulnerable in order to do their role in species propagation.

There are various push/pull interactions that the two engage in in order to compensate for the others vulnerabilities, it's a mutually supportive relationship. preferably balanced, but not the same.

Currently in our society that yin/yang is completely out of whack on various levels, neither side really knows what's what anymore with all the media and marketing distorting our world views.

When the two halves are in balance, then we can actually begin to understand each other.

As for why women wear tight clothes and men dont?
That's up to each guy.

Me personally, due to the variable nature of male equipment, though quite comfortable, it could become quite 'erm... embarrassing unexpectedly for a man to be in a pair of speedos in public :oops: if you know what I mean. It can get a little more obvious than some nip or extra contour somewhere else, or whatever "embarrassing" things could happen to women with their swimsuit.
Even with a decent body, many guys are insecure about it, even if the size is ok. Just the fact that it can be so ..... you know guys....there, making himself known. We don't really have 100% control of it's physical state, it kinda goes by reflex sometimes. That's why we prefer baggy shorts.
(sorry for the detail, I tried to be a "polite" as I could)
See, even discussion of the male part can be awkward.

THAT GUY, right there, that's your reason for the difference in clothing.
He has a bad habit of showing up uninvited.
We even have to dance around talking about "it".

My male neurology is not comfortable in an "attraction" mode. I don't like to draw attention to myself.

People who wear tight clothes whether they have the body for it or not must understand that they WILL be noticed. That is unavoidable.
It is purely the responsibility of the person "noticing" as to how they wish to proceed with their own behavior.

Acting rudely, or violently is not acceptable in any society that wishes to call themselves civilized.

This primitive behavior is a serious problem even internally "man to man" within the male half of society, many of us guys are getting tired of the less advanced among us giving the majority such a bad name, and basically being a bunch of aggressive *************** always trying to abuse each other. The internal "guy culture" is a very aggressive and abusive one, we can be quite brutal to each other. That's just a sad truth. There are some difficult side effects to our hormones that we are struggling with taming.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:12 pm

seaweed wrote:
I don't put the hood up (or wear earbuds or use my phone), I meant it in the way that a big hoodie or coat will obscure my body below my head, so that my figure is not instantly recognizable as a female's. I need to work on keeping my head up/good posture, but I do walk "with a purpose" which i know is supposed to help. unfortunately I live quite a ways away from downtown and in a "sketchy" area, so I can't feasibly avoid walking down unlit and less frequented roads. what kind of martial arts/self defense training have you trained in? I want to take a self defense class but I'm not sure which type yet.

Various, I've primary trained in Wing Chun but with quite a lot of modern application an liveness testing. My take of self defense courses it is not a quick fix and this makes me skeptical of the short courses marketed as self defense. The general advice to keep safe is just as important as the techniques.

What I find is half the time people have okish reactions. Maybe the not best coordination or speed but they do something, which is the main thing. When you are learning you have to think about what you are doing so this can mean they get a bit worse before you they better. Other people they tend to freeze like a dear in the headlights, so it is really useful to help them get out of that.

The issue is "situations" don't exist. What I mean by that, is if you do a drill it is a set scenario that may never play out that way. Very few thing play out exactly the same way. These drills can be quite idealised and based on an attack the stops after one or two moves. it is not that you can't learn anything from them, becuase they are a learning approach, it is just not cohesive on their own. You need to be adaptable and apply any techniques in an adaptable way, which takes experience.

From my experience of being assaulted and what I have witnesses from assaults:

1. You are right about body language, timidity can play a role in you being targeted (hyper-aggressive people are also targeted for different reasons). Not leaning against walls if people are near you, looking down at the floor, etc. Like you say walking with purpose like you know where you are going.
2. General awareness of your surroundings, keeping in mind where the exits where for example was important in my case. Even knowing this normally, doesn't mean you will think straight and you may move in wrong direction initially.
3. Using you wits. Only you can judge the situation at the time.

The active side of self-defense I know a fair bit about, but it is not something you can really learn online, except maybe in a supplementary way.

You want something the emphases movement and footwork fairly early on, with a broad range of skills, and good at teaching the practical of concepts like control and attack. It depend very much on the club and their approach and what is available. Also you do have to be dedicated if you really want to learn, whatever pace you are learning at motivating yourself to keep it up is what counts. People sometime expect too much too early, then they get frustrated with themselves and quit. For this reason having a friendly atmosphere is important where they can correct but also motivate.