Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 1:06 pm

Really appalled to learn the Lauri Love has been extradited to the U.S for innocent crimes which he has been found guilty of ..

On September 16, 2016, at Westminster Magistrates' Court a judge ruled that Love will be extradited to the US.

Love’s father expressed shock at the verdict, as his son faces 99 years in prison.

The ruling was issued at Westminster Magistrate’s Court, where earlier this year Love won a case against Britain’s National Crime Agency (NCA),
which was demanding the 31-year-old disclose passwords to his encrypted computer

District Judge Nina Tempia ruled Love should be extradited to the US, but gave him permission to appeal.

Love reportedly hugged a friend and his mother after the verdict was announced and told them: “Don’t worry about me.”

Love’s father expressed shock at the verdict, which could mean his son faces 99 years in prison.

Love is accused of taking part in a string of protest hacking attacks in the US, including intercepting online systems operated by the Fed, NASA, the FBI, the
US Department of Defense and the US Environmental Protection Agency, among others.

The US Department of Justice (DoJ) is pursuing him with three extradition orders, claiming he and several collaborators violated millions of US networks between 2012
and 2013, landing US taxpayers with a multimillion-dollar damages bill.

Gary McKinnon's extradition was blocked in 2012 by then Home Secretary Theresa May because there was a “high risk of him ending his life.”

Gary's mum said, Love’s case was “almost identical” to that of her son.

https://www.rt.com/uk/359559-lauri-love ... on-hacker/

RT news comments

Orange Bottle Opener
Now, what does this say about the government cyber security if someone with a mental disability can hack their systems? The US should have been smart (oxymoron there for sure, US smart?)
and quietly worked a deal with the brits to make sure that Lauri love can not use a computer again. But no, they want to make an example of a person with disabilities.
Just shows the level of evil of the USA government.
And though it is too late, the american public is awakening to their nation's evils and just how evil the government is.

----------
Amber Rudd is the new home secretary, before climate change secretary and campaigning to stay in Europe.
I think her dislike of the vote has been dished out on a poor defenceless individual. I hope she finds a new sink hole and disappears into it, as well as Judge Dread.

Pending Verdict-- Innocent

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2016, 2:21 pm

I don't think we should be extraditing people to America due to crimes committed on British soil. If they break our laws, they should face punishment here. If they break American laws while over there, then they should face punishment there.

The current laws we have for cybercrime just aren't suitable.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

I agree he should be on trial in his own country from where the crimes were committed, and serve his sentence in his own country where his loved ones can at least visit him.

Also, the max sentence in the US is apparently 99 years. In the UK he might be handed something more like 2 from what I heard on the news in passing.

Even though I think he was very, very wrong to do this hacking, and I think he SHOULD be held accountable for his actions, still I think the US is over-punitive and overzealous.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 2:48 pm

As Edward Snowden has made famous, the U.K. government, specifically GCHQ, spies on U.S. citizens with impunity. This is done because the U.S. government lawfully forbids itself from spying on its citizens, but may legally contract with allies to spy for it instead.

So, I see no reason why Love didn't successfully raise this fact in his defense [sarcasm]; after all, he is only doing what the U.S. government has asked the U.K. government to do.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

Help the Lord do the right thing and help to love Lauri.. in his next part of his life.

What I don't see, is how some can get away with cold blooded murder, even awaiting their trial, and others who venture unseeingly not willingly, into unchartered waters get prosecuted on so many different levels, that its hard to foresee when they can ever pay it back.
Lauri knew not what he did but does now, so all those press and confederates and ex senators, and whoever else who's convicting true innocents should lay off.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the luxury of Oscar Pistorius wealth and resources to get him off the hook. 99 years?
Jail time has been cut for most of them and even some older cons get compassionate leave when they're ill, all he's getting here is bail. I know why know, its so our deal with the U.S is legit in prep for Brexit.

So, in effect, the country is putting up ransom notes and convoluted stories to not let it happen again, only last time McKinnon was having fun.. and caused a lockdown disarmament situation for breaking into naval codes.

Stay strong Lauri, and we'll pray for your release. Even Mandela will be sending down a worthy gospel prayer, and maybe some ardent solicitor will shake up the jury to the tune of 'acts of discrimination', upon a lenient custodial sentence.

Would a democrat get him out of some harsh prison sentence?, because over in my country, he would have what is known as a community sentence. (what is known as outside jail time).
Maybe loneliness will remain an ever lasting factor and he wont notice the difference, so I pray for justice to prevail, for his sake, as well as for all innocent AS human and ASD types.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

Empathy wrote:
Lauri knew not what he did

I find that extremely hard to believe. Nobody gains those sorts of skills accidentally. Nobody doesn't realise they're hacking into the American government. These computers are extremely well protected. Perhaps he didn't realise the consequences of his actions, but I feel it is very likely he knew what he was doing.

Quote:
Unfortunately, he doesn't have the luxury of Oscar Pistorius wealth and resources to get him off the hook. 99 years?

He probably won't get the maximum sentence. Pistorius hasn't got off the hook but 6 years for murder is unusually low - blame South Africa I guess.

Quote:
Stay strong Lauri, and we'll pray for your release. Even Mandela will be sending down a worthy gospel prayer, and maybe some ardent solicitor will shake up the jury to the tune of 'acts of discrimination', upon a lenient custodial sentence.

This is ridiculous hyperbole. He is no Mandela.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Empathy wrote:

]Stay strong Lauri, and we'll pray for your release. Even Mandela will be sending down a worthy gospel prayer, and maybe some ardent solicitor will shake up the jury to the tune of 'acts of discrimination', upon a lenient custodial sentence.

This is ridiculous hyperbole. He is no Mandela.

Is that just another useless custom made opinion from someone who's not even aware what a serious obsession resulting from depression can do?

Your custom rank position is getting you nowhere ..

Call my hyperbole what you will, its just another reason to get him extradited back where he should be.

nouse
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2016, 1:25 am

I think he should commit victimless crime in his home country in order to become jailed in there first.
Introduces interesting ethical dilemma.

It is actually interesting to think that he would himself be better off if he went haywire. As in this case crime rewards you juridically.

There is always Russia...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 3:07 am

Because he is an aspie he can not understand that hacking American goverment computers is wrong or can get him in trouble and because he has a aspie he has a "mental illness" that should make his hacking abilities too poor to hack any organization with a decent defence (SMH). Maybe he is that clueless and probably the American government defenses are inadequate but that is on him or the American government not on Aspergers. Hyperfocus, attention to detail, and logical thinking associated with Aspergers are the the triats needed to be a very talented hacker. This does not mean most aspies are capable of hacking a top notch cyber defense or that NT's are incapable of hacking a top notch cyber defense. Hyperfocus does not mean a person is incapable of not knowing hacking into American government computers is wrong or can get you into big trouble, it might mean getting into a "loop" similar to forgetting to eat. Aspies can be competitive and have oversized egos also. This means that the percentage of Aspies caught doing this will continue be higher then the percentage of Aspies in the general population.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:08 am

They call him a "hacktivist" because he inflicts suffering to the US gov. for political causes.

He supposedly bragged: “You have no idea how much we can f**k with the US government if we wanted to.”
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... tates-nasa

Where's the evidence that he is an Aspie stooge who was manipulated, and didn't know what he was doing?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 3:42 pm

Quote:
Love attended Nottingham and Glasgow Universities but did not complete his courses. He is studying from home but has been diagnosed with several serious skin conditions, including eczema, as well as psychosis, Asperger syndrome and depression.

Ben Cooper, the barrister representing Love at the extradition hearing, said he should be prosecuted in the UK for his alleged hacking so he could remain on bail and, if imprisoned, stay close to his father, who is a Baptist minister and prison chaplain.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/28/lauri-love-hacking-trial-extradition-united-states-nasa

The son of an ex chaplain and Baptist, who conducts sermons at weekends and lives a sheltered life in Newmarket, Suffolk.

As far as I'm concerned, his hearing shouldn't even stand trial, as its totally unacceptable discrimination to make someone who clearly led, or attempted to lead a sheltered life, come out of his shell and stand up in court.
I've seen CSI and the way these courtrooms express themselves and no one comes away uplifted when the battles are over, and they are far from over by the sounds of it.

Quote:
(Wiki)
After dropping out of sixth form college and working in a turkey plant, Love applied for a Finnish passport (his mother is Finnish), and then served in the Finnish army for one year;he has dual citizenship of the United Kingdom and Finland. After that, he studied and dropped out of Nottingham University in his second term after a physical and mental collapse, and at the Glasgow University in Scotland, but dropped out in his second year, again for health reasons. He was part of the 2011 Hetherington House Occupation, a student protest at Glasgow University.

What I find similarly distressing here in the article, is that it shows his father as being a slight red herring on matters he doesn't seem too bothered about.

Like, his use of comments;

Quote:
The Rev Alexander Love, who is dyslexic, told the court that his family initially considered Lauri to be “brilliant” and had not realised until too late that he had serious mental health problems.
“Having a 31-year-old living with us has been challenging,” Rev Love said. “At times he has been in utter despair. His ability to see how the real world works has been impaired.

How is that? when the real world doesn't revolve around sermons and rituals all day, it survives them even as common as it is for the sufferer as well as for the other person, conducting whatever seminar they've religiously stuffed around in the process.

Also, I think that's why he joined the Army, to be a man.. lessons learnt away from the home practice sessions and lack of opportunity. I think if I lived there my life would feel let down as well, being part of a small Parish reminds me of Father Ted and The Vicar of Dibley and ..one of the reasons my great-grandfather never followed down that path, and became a successful writer and head of ground operations in the Air -Force.

Having said all that, no doubt Lauri will miss some of the tea and biscuits that you don't get abroad and I hope he gets a lesser sentence than the likes of all those terrorists and assassins.
Anyway, if he stays a recluse, and has to learn to practice whatever was preached back here, then maybe there'll be a new written piece, like in the story of the Shawshank Redemption.