Will we see American dragonnades be legally abusive?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 6:56 am

History can always repeat itself, not even from just the last century.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 8:17 am

The Third Amendment (Amendment III) to the United States Constitution places restrictions on the quartering of soldiers in private homes ("Dragonnade") without the owner's consent, forbidding the practice in peacetime. The amendment is a response to Quartering Acts passed by the British parliament during the buildup to the American Revolutionary War, which had allowed the British Army to lodge soldiers in private residences without the home-owners' consent.

Now, are you asking if the Third Amendment will be violated by the U.S. government? Or are you asking if "Dragonnade" would be an abuse of power?

I have to ask because the subject line of this thread does not parse well in English.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 8:30 am

Fnord wrote:
...Now, are you asking if the Third Amendment will be violated by the U.S. government...?

It already has been violated. I am sorry about the vagueness of my descriptions, but several years ago, the elected officials of a city somewhere in the United States deemed themselves lawfully able to live in the foreclosed homes of others ... rent free ... for months. Also, immediately after the Boston Marathon bombing, many homes near the suspects were "commandeered" by law enforcement officers. This wasn't the first and only times that law-enforcement agencies and other government officials have clearly violated the Third Amendment.

It is strange that these activities rarely happen in states with Castle Doctrine laws.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:

Now, are you asking if the Third Amendment will be violated by the U.S. government? Or are you asking if "Dragonnade" would be an abuse of power?

I have to ask because the subject line of this thread does not parse well in English.

More likely he just wants to have another vague whinge about 'fascism' but this time without using the word 'fascism'.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:51 am

skysaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:

More likely he just wants to have another vague whinge about 'fascism' but this time without using the word 'fascism'.

Yup.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 11:00 am

Yeah, luckily, that's one of the good things about Maryland, we have the "Castle Doctrine"----AND, one of the very few good things about Martin O'Malley is that he signed into law, that someone couldn't be sued if they injured or killed someone, while defending their home or business (within limits, of course).

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 3:46 pm

Fnord, might it not be possible in an emergency pretext? How else could someone try to convert people en masse?

Spectrum, do enlighten me as to what Hitler has to do with 1681. Or, perhaps you just like posting that image on multiple threads.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:09 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
skysaw wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yup.

Yo leave OP alone,

He might have shown a pattern of that way of thinking in the past but this is a legit question and he has asked it in a legit context.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 2:58 am

dcj123 wrote:
Yo leave OP alone,

He might have shown a pattern of that way of thinking in the past but this is a legit question and he has asked it in a legit context.

The question was: "Will We See American Dragonnades Be Legally Abusive?", followed with the suggestion that history might repeat itself. This can, to my mind, only be interpreted as "beware the upcoming fascism!".

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm

Well, unless Louis XIV of France was somehow a cuddly bunny and I simply missed it... and religious persecution existed throughout history, does this mean none of it could be mentioned in case the history police are patrolling? Should history be banned, you reckon? It's not like American high schools even teach it, but still...