Life is not fair so therefore life is a crime

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 11:27 pm

If life is not fair is a true and we must get used to it then is Judge Death right in the Judge Dredd serious when he says "Life is a crime and the only penalty is death." Why or Why not?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 10:30 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
If life is not fair is a true and we must get used to it then is Judge Death right in the Judge Dredd serious when he says "Life is a crime and the only penalty is death." Why or Why not?

I think Judge Death is wrong and I accept that life is not fair but I don't accept that we must get used. I think one of the things we should do as a species is to improve ourselves and our thinking. We have done that in this country even though we have a long way to go.

We have plenty of food that can feed the whole world's population. Why is our world system so inefficient and ineffective in which we have people around the world impoverished? I think the enemy is us and I think we all owe it to ourselves to improve ourselves.

To accept that life is unfair and we must get used to it means we're treating life and unfairness that is permanent when really things can change over time. To accept that we must get used to life being unfair and never seeking to improve upon this is to give up and if our human nature causes life to be unfair for us then what is the point? If our nature causes us to do evil, be unfair and be unjust then we must accept Judge Death's assessment that life is a crime and death is the only penalty. We have no business existing as a species.

Therefore, I accept life is not fair as a truth but I will never get used to it and I think we ought to demand better for ourselves and for others. Or else, we might as well consider Judge Death right.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 10:56 am

Math says life is fair.

In statistics, there is a theory called the "Central Limit theorem"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem

"given certain conditions, the arithmetic mean of a sufficiently large number of iterates of independent random variables, each with a well-defined (finite) expected value and finite variance, will be approximately normally distributed, regardless of the underlying distribution".

See below how the normal distribution is fair (equal probability of positive and negative outcomes).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 11:51 am

There was a popular saying in the 1980's "Life sucks and then you die"

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Math says life is fair.

"given certain conditions, the arithmetic mean of a sufficiently large number of iterates of independent random variables, each with a well-defined (finite) expected value and finite variance, will be approximately normally distributed, regardless of the underlying distribution".

See below how the normal distribution is fair (equal probability of positive and negative outcomes).

The math says life if Gaussian Normal.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 11:55 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Math says life is fair.

You're thinking fair means average. Not so in this context. When I'm talking about fair and unfair, I'm talking about just and unjust. When people say life is unfair they're saying that it is unjust and we must accept this as so without question and/or making attempts to do anything about it.

I accept it is true that life is unfair. This can be proven many times over.

What I don't accept is the idea that one should get used to it and never do anything about it or to make things better. By this idea, those impoverished in Africa should stay that way and no one should life a finger.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 11:57 am

what I am asking is, if we must get used to life being unfair without complaint or doing anything about then what I am asking is Judge Death from the Judge Dredd series correct when he says "Life is a crime and death is the only sentence."

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:43 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Math says life is fair.

You're thinking fair means average. Not so in this context. When I'm talking about fair and unfair, I'm talking about just and unjust. When people say life is unfair they're saying that it is unjust and we must accept this as so without question and/or making attempts to do anything about it.

I accept it is true that life is unfair. This can be proven many times over.

What I don't accept is the idea that one should get used to it and never do anything about it or to make things better. By this idea, those impoverished in Africa should stay that way and no one should life a finger.

What you are describing is individuals being unlucky.

For life to be unfair or unjust, then there would have to be some bias affecting it.

The normal distribution shows us that even if such biasing exists, that it's counteracted by contra-biasing.

Thus, bringing life back into a normal distribution, so I disagree with Judge Death.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
There was a popular saying in the 1980's "Life sucks and then you die"

My dad said this all the time and he still does occasionally.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm

Life is painful. If it was comfortable Nobody would want to die

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

I think the quoted statement merely refers to the fact that all mortal things die. Merely by being born, we have incurred the penalty of death (at least eventually.)

I do NOT think because life is unfair all humans need to be killed in retribution, however. I hope the OP is not seeking validation for desire to bomb or shoot people he considers to be unfair.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 1:02 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
I think the quoted statement merely refers to the fact that all mortal things die. Merely by being born, we have incurred the penalty of death (at least eventually.)

I do NOT think because life is unfair all humans need to be killed in retribution, however. I hope the OP is not seeking validation for desire to bomb or shoot people he considers to be unfair.

NO, I'm most certainly am not.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

Good to know.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

I remember Zizek talking about ideology in "the lion king".
you know, the circle of life thing. sure, lions eat other animals, but lions eventually die and get eaten by scavengers, and their excrements in turn become fertilizers for the grass, and the grass is eaten by gazelles, who again are food for lions. the circle of life.

he goes own: imagine a scene in bernini's "life is beautiful". the father tells his son, while in theconcentration camp: sure, Nazis kill jews, buteventually Nazis themselves die, they will be buried and eaten by microorganisms and so on.

life's s**t, then you die, I think, is a similar piece of ideology.
so... yeah. life's s**t. you might as well rebel.
sounds like noone has anything to loose.
I can't see how it "life's s**t, then you die" is acceptable.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:

I'd agree with that. Humans have had millenia to improve life, but have failed. We are still ruled by the same group of elites as we were thousands of years ago. They hoard all the resources for themselves and hand out a gnawed bone to the peasants every so often so as to keep us alive just enough to fulfill their needs. During the Great Depression, they didn't even bother doing that, people were literally dropping dead in the streets from hunger and caloric deprivation.

The thing is, they don't want the peasants to kill themselves because life is so horrible, with zero chance of improvement, that the peasants might as well kill themselves because they have nothing to lose. The elites like lording it over the peasants, so the peasants are told that they will go to "Hell" if they kill themselves, and if one of them tries they are immediately tossed in a nut house and pumped full of happy drugs.

If the peasants suddenly started offing themselves en masse the elites would panic, especially if they couldn't stop it. Suicide is the only true rebellion against the elite. The thing is, nobody can do anything about the inherent unfairness of life. So, why not kill yourself?

The only thing that stops me, personally, is that it's pretty difficult to find an effective suicide method that doesn't leave you alive but even worse off than you were, or takes so much time to work that you get tossed into the hospital mill and have doctors attempt to save you and make you see the supposed error of your ways (ie brainwashing).

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2016, 12:39 am

pezar wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

I'd agree with that. Humans have had millenia to improve life, but have failed. We are still ruled by the same group of elites as we were thousands of years ago. They hoard all the resources for themselves and hand out a gnawed bone to the peasants every so often so as to keep us alive just enough to fulfill their needs. During the Great Depression, they didn't even bother doing that, people were literally dropping dead in the streets from hunger and caloric deprivation.

The thing is, they don't want the peasants to kill themselves because life is so horrible, with zero chance of improvement, that the peasants might as well kill themselves because they have nothing to lose. The elites like lording it over the peasants, so the peasants are told that they will go to "Hell" if they kill themselves, and if one of them tries they are immediately tossed in a nut house and pumped full of happy drugs.

If the peasants suddenly started offing themselves en masse the elites would panic, especially if they couldn't stop it. Suicide is the only true rebellion against the elite. The thing is, nobody can do anything about the inherent unfairness of life. So, why not kill yourself?

The only thing that stops me, personally, is that it's pretty difficult to find an effective suicide method that doesn't leave you alive but even worse off than you were, or takes so much time to work that you get tossed into the hospital mill and have doctors attempt to save you and make you see the supposed error of your ways (ie brainwashing).

Quite a bit of malarkey here. There's no "conspiracy" of elites ruling us; hierarchies are a natural evolutionary development in humans and animals and serve a social function. Nor are all rulers cruel and tyrannical.

Life has likewise improved in many ways over the millennia; we don't regularly die from diseases anymore in developed countries.

The economy is also an eco-system, and these elites are not genies in a bottle who can just "snap their fingers" and cure all the world's woes everytime there is an economic crisis; in fact much economic hardship is caused by people having more children than the current economy can support.

What I've noticed though is that people who look to the material world for happiness and point fingers and blame when they don't get what they want seem to be chronically miserable regardless of their material status, whole those who have a purpose or mission in life beyond merely sustaining their own impermanent existence on this planet find happiness and meaning even in the face of adversity, as our ancestors did when they overcame hardship so that we could take it for granted and find misery even in our comparative luxury.