Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Nov 2016, 6:28 am

Quote:
Donald Trump has repudiated the fringe "alt-right" group that celebrated his election win with Nazi salutes.

In a far-ranging interview with the New York Times, the US president-elect was quoted as saying: "I condemn them. I disavow, and I condemn."

He said he did not want to "energise" the group, which includes neo-Nazis, white supremacists and anti-Semites.

Source

Good to see Trump adopting Clinton's position of standing up to these people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 6:52 am

He didn't adopt Clinton's position. Trump and Clinton are simply among all the Americans who want nothing to do with the fringe "alt-right".

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 10:13 am

Better late than never I guess.

It still sounds rather hollow to me. I think what people want to see is a genuine apology for not doing so earlier. He's just doing so reluctantly now because he thinks it's what people want to hear. Honestly it's a little late at this point, there's nothing he could say to make it right. We'll see if his actions can earn back some respect or not in time.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Nov 2016, 10:26 am

You are spreading leftist propaganda trying to tie Trump to this group of weirdos, these people do not represent anyone nor do they have any influence whatsoever. Hillary put 'half of Trump's supporters' in her 'basket of deplorables', if you believe that then you simply have no idea what you are talking about which if we check the scoreboard I would say that's fairly accurate. Propagandist media invented the term 'alt-right' to tar and feather Trump supporters and they've been the main people promoting these literal Nazis, they should all be ashamed.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 11:20 am

So what's supposed to be a an obscure (which is why most people write "alt-right" with quotation marks) fringe group is actually supposed to consist of 30 million people?

I'm not right or left, republican or democrat. Until recently I paid little attention to politics. But it seems pretty clear to me there's some kind of agenda out there that says, "if you don't think I like I do and don't say things the way I tell you to, I'm going to label you as bigoted, racist, a [whatever]phobe etc. and convince as many people as possible to think like I think". And it seems like a lot of people get sucked into that ideology without realizing what they're getting sucked into.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 11:32 am

The mainstream media begin again. I really can't blame Trump for calling all the major media players into his office then sh*****g all over them, they deserve it more than anyone else. For my Trump supporting American friends, having lived through the EU referendum aftermath here's a rundown of what you will see in the coming weeks from the MSM:

- Endless polling about "Trump Regret". Every other week you will see stories about how many Trump supporters regret their vote - before anything has a chance to really change. You'll see snippets of crying talking heads about how they didn't think their vote would lead to x (riots, race wars, neo-nazis celebrating, financial trouble that was coming anyway etc - all of which will be overblown and played up by the same media)

- Soon afterwards you will see headlines like "After Trump regret Poll no. 31756 If the election was run again now, Hillary would win in a landslide"

- Continual goading of certain people into somehow reversing or ignoring the results of the election, in your case I imagine the pressure will be on the electors, in Britain it was on parliament, high court judges etc. Anything they can think of to reverse the result of the vote, combine this angle of attack especially with the above two points.

- The smears against Trump supporters will be ramped up to 11, they've already decided the alt-right is indeed all about white supremacy (false - it's a minority of a minority in the movement which itself is a minority of those who supported Trump). Using the technical definition of alt-right, Trump is alt-right. It means simply alternative to mainstream conservatism. This incident is a perfect example of media tactics, first they declare some twit as a leader of the alt-right (a movement that does not have leaders), not for a useful go-to voice on issues, but to destroy him and attempt to take the movement with it. Find some edgelords making nazi salutes and Hey Presto, alt-right is now neo-nazi town, Trump is zombie Hitler again and many morons will believe it

-Trump supporter demographics will be overanalysed to the point of absurdity. Fingers will be pointed at rednecks, the old (this will lead to discussions on whether old people should be disenfranchised and how if young people - the only ones that matter - only voted, hillary would have landslide), whites, the middle class, men, stupid women... the list goes on.

-Fringe left groups will go full on Moldbug and attack democracy itself, because it's time to ditch it when it goes against our will.

All of this to look forward to.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 11:45 am

Jesus Christ. The irony of strawmanning the entire left while crying about being strawmanned by the left. This BS leads nowhere.

Believe it or not, I think Kanye's take on the whole thing was pretty sane. Sad that he was hospitalized for speaking truth.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 5:58 pm

Hollow words from a charlatan.

Until he mass disavows these neo-nazis and ilk similar to them, I do not believe him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 6:02 pm

when he starts using the bully pulpit and the justice department to apply heat to these people, then and only then will I believe him.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 8:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when he starts using the bully pulpit and the justice department to apply heat to these people, then and only then will I believe him.

That's SJW style stuff. Afaik, they haven't committed any crimes. Holding "deplorable" views is not a crime.

Also, that would be even more ridiculous than Hillary when she spotlighted this insignificant group, giving them a legitimacy they don't warrant. Denouncing Pepe the Frog!

They will bathe and revel in that kind of attention and grow stronger for it.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:34 am

You gotta hand it to the clinton camp, that is one hell of a label, what's better than that? A satchel of sasquatches? :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 1:57 am

she coulda gone a bit upscale and said "an alliance of atavists." :idea:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 4:40 pm

If Trump is being genuine about this, I commend him. If he's just trying to make himself look appealing like he's done many times in the past, well, I won't be surprised. I *like* a lot of the things I've been hearing from him recently and I actually think he'll be a good president if he follows through on them, but I'm worried that he's just saying what people want to hear. I think that he was playing the far-right before with his racist remarks and stuff, and now he's playing the left by repudiating these things. I'm not sure where the guy actually stands politically.

Hillary was a bad apple, no doubts about that, though at least she was semi-predictable. But would she have made a good president? f**k no. I'm honestly not sure why I encouraged people to vote Clinton before though, because thinking about it now, choosing between Clinton and Trump was like being stuck at a fork in the road where one side heads straight off a cliff, and the other side leads to a dark tunnel that *might* have a cliff but might not. I think Bernie Sanders would've been a safe choice, but of course he got backstabbed, leading people to choose between a gamble (Trump) and an automatic defeat (Clinton).