So when does being a 'leftist' become a crime?

Page 2 of 11 [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 8:33 pm

I wish us "Centrists" would be given more respect.......

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 8:36 pm

Being left of center politically is not any kind of a crime. There is no law against it.

It was either Churchill or Clemenceau who once said:

If a young man is not a communist by the time he is 20 he has no heart. If he is still a communist at 40, then he has no brains.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 12:41 am

The OP should take solace in the fact that this forum remains overwhelmingly liberal, the loudness of our libertarians and Trumpkin notwithstanding. Do we even have a social conservative now that Angela is gone?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 6:28 am

What I don't get is why it's so bad to criticize my own "side". It's because people take sides that nobody listens to each other.

Saying both sides are as bad as each other, and that's *that* is usually just a distraction to shut people up, IMO.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 6:36 am

Dox47 wrote:
The OP should take solace in the fact that this forum remains overwhelmingly liberal, the loudness of our libertarians and Trumpkin notwithstanding. Do we even have a social conservative now that Angela is gone?

Is the nurse no longer in the house?

(ie did she leave?).

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 7:12 am

I view respect for authority and loyalty as negative traits, not positive traits. These two traits alone explain why I am repelled by the right why I don't just disagree but actively dislike.

Being a leftist isn't a crime. Unfortunately we aren't very well represented at the moment by people in power.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 11:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Is the nurse no longer in the house? (ie did she leave?).

Not by choice.

I was thinking Raptor was more on the social conservative side?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I view respect for authority and loyalty as negative traits, not positive traits. These two traits alone explain why I am repelled by the right why I don't just disagree but actively dislike.

Being a leftist isn't a crime. Unfortunately we aren't very well represented at the moment by people in power.

Your repersentives had their chance and messed it up, people got upset and voted them out. Rather then admit they messed up they double down on messing up, which will only upset more people. I fear at this rear democrats will loose anymore seats in 2018. They should be like whoa we messed up big, we should revaluate our polices and get rid of the ones people don't want and push for ones most people want. But it doesn't seem like they will :(

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Depends how you define the term. There are several users who are opposed to abortion and quite a few who are opposed to feminism and LGBT+ rights, as well as a smattering of climate change denialists, and a good portion of those users are several of those things at once.

(Quick "mod" reminder, discussion of banned users is generally discouraged out of respect for them. Angela's ban isn't permanent fwiw)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:48 pm

Dox47 wrote:

It seems social conservatives are a dying breed on the internet. The demographic is largely over 50 years old. They aren't online as much as younger people.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I was thinking Raptor was more on the social conservative side?

I don't know. He doesn't express his actual views as much as he expresses his sarcasm.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
I view respect for authority and loyalty as negative traits, not positive traits.

I think in-group loyalty is the value I have the least respect for. It is a value that basically says might makes right, i.e. "my country, right or wrong". It is used to justify destruction and exploitation of others and leads only to endless fighting and bloodshed. I think the problem is far-right ideology doesn't view the idea of fairness globally. To right-wingers, fairness only applies to one's "own" people. Outsiders have no rights. I see this in how right-wing nationalist Turks view the Kurds.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

How does one define social conservatism? I think it's something that is synonymous with the religion and traditionalism even tho there are many that might share the same beliefs for a variety of reasons.

People have been much too generalistic and lazy with their language which is partly intentional, I will admit my guilt but it certainly did not start with me. It's just people simply trying to force you to pick a side and the fact that it's a lot easier to speak in broad strokes than to pick out a specific target. We all have friends and family that don't share the same beliefs that you have and I can't imagine the vitriol would be intense of the person speaking connected what they were saying to an actual person. I apologize if any of the things I've said have been mean or offensive or if you feel mischaracterized for any way, rhetoric is rhetoric at the end of the day and I hope we can leave it at that because I feel like people if they understood things the way I understood them from my unique perspective then they would agree with me or at least the rationality behind it. We all agree on most things and have more in common than we do apart, this forum is unique since we all have the shared experience of autism and it's obviously a very diverse experiences.

So to answer OP, when does being a 'leftist' become a crime? When they commit a crime.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 4:12 pm

Can I join your fort once civilized life comes to an abrupt halt?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Depends how you define the term. There are several users who are opposed to abortion and quite a few who are opposed to feminism and LGBT+ rights, as well as a smattering of climate change denialists, and a good portion of those users are several of those things at once.

(Quick "mod" reminder, discussion of banned users is generally discouraged out of respect for them. Angela's ban isn't permanent fwiw)

Really ? Feels like it's more about censorship. If you talk about banned members you get banned. Taking wp further left. Reaks of PC to me. I could see having bad mouthing banned members being told to stop and edited out. But the whole you can't even say their name and have to pretend like they never existed or face possible bans bothers me.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

marshall wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

It seems social conservatives are a dying breed on the internet. The demographic is largely over 50 years old. They aren't online as much as younger people.

Younger ones exist but hide in fear of reprisal from the left. I'm terrified to post on facebook cause I know if I do liberals will attack and threaten me.
I'm also afraid to post in favor of welfare and such cause people will look down on me and those few brace rightist will also say I'm a thief and lazy.