Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 3:25 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
But if an anti-masker without kids wants to go around and jeopardize his or her own life, so what? As long as you're wearing your mask, their recklessness shouldn't really affect you. I disagree with them, but, hey, it's their life.

Technically if they are carriers then they are happily spitting the virus everywhere every time they breath.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 3:50 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
The problem with anti-vaxxers is when they don't want to vaccinate their children, exposing the kids to unnecessary suffering and possible death by otherwise preventable diseases. Most anti-vaxxers were, themselves, vaccinated as children. They don't want their kids to get vaccines.

I suppose the same is true if they don't want their kids to wear masks. But if an anti-masker without kids wants to go around and jeopardize his or her own life, so what? As long as you're wearing your mask, their recklessness shouldn't really affect you. I disagree with them, but, hey, it's their life.

Its about both ways. The mask protects the wearer from everyone else, and protects everyone else from you -the wearer. You could be a carrier, and not know it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jul 2020, 5:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
The problem with anti-vaxxers is when they don't want to vaccinate their children, exposing the kids to unnecessary suffering and possible death by otherwise preventable diseases. Most anti-vaxxers were, themselves, vaccinated as children. They don't want their kids to get vaccines.

I suppose the same is true if they don't want their kids to wear masks. But if an anti-masker without kids wants to go around and jeopardize his or her own life, so what? As long as you're wearing your mask, their recklessness shouldn't really affect you. I disagree with them, but, hey, it's their life.

Its about both ways. The mask protects the wearer from everyone else, and protects everyone else from you -the wearer. You could be a carrier, and not know it.

Masks mainly protect others from what the wearer may be unconciously spreading.
That's why making them mandatory in various places makes sense.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 6:22 am

magz wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Masks mainly protect others from what the wearer may be unconciously spreading.
That's why making them mandatory in various places makes sense.

Exactly.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 3:55 pm

Anyone who doesnt like your mask I have a tip. Most people think masks are the problem when it's actually a subtle change in breathing due to anxiety. I feel anxious in a mask .

The result is I breathe shallow or hold my breath without even thinking about it. Then I start feeling kinda panicky and believe the mask is causing the problem when it's really my anxiety.

So what I do is focus on breathing when I have the mask on. I make sure I inhale and exhale a full breath each time, then I feel fine. I find this really helps a lot.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 4:10 pm

So when people say they can't breathe, it's because of their anxiety is making it hard for them to breathe?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 7:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
So when people say they can't breathe, it's because of their anxiety is making it hard for them to breathe?

It could very well be and I understand that feeling but when I make sure I breathe normally with the mask on I feel fine. They have done studies on masks and they are safe to wear.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 9:04 pm

never thought of it like that before....

may be what's happening to me

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 11:28 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

It could very well be and I understand that feeling but when I make sure I breathe normally with the mask on I feel fine. They have done studies on masks and they are safe to wear.

One doctor in Ireland did some test and he showed that masks do not affect our breathing as people claim.

Sure we have to change how we breathe and we have to breathe harder.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 1:18 am

League_Girl wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

One doctor in Ireland did some test and he showed that masks do not affect our breathing as people claim.

Sure we have to change how we breathe and we have to breathe harder.

It's more about breathing the way I normally breathe instead of breathing like I do when anxious.

If I think a mask will harm me in some way it just makes the anxiety that much worse. Maybe others are thinking the same?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 1:24 am

There are some relevant cautions with i) picking a mask ii) using a mask and iii) knowing when it becomes dangerous
Mask can be dangerous for some people especially if they don't know how to use it properly.
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/06/jos ... ing-masks/

I'm certainly not an anti-mask advocate but I still think there may be too much faith put in this type of measure.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 9:05 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
never thought of it like that before....

may be what's happening to me

All you can do is try and see if it helps.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 11:31 am

Archmage Arcane wrote:
Anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, climate change deniers. Generally the same people. Definitely the same selfish entitled ignorance.

Add flat earther’s to the group, as they’re of the same ilk.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 3:08 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 6:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Using critical thinking is alas not used much with face masks...by face mask deniers and those who think face masks offer full protection.

If you look at medical staff in your picture they are better protected by having two things that both prevent transmission and protect the user from infection

1) the mask is only primary protection 2) the use of the face shield. The link I provided earlier suggest that without a face shield the masks only offer limited protection.

Most people use standard masks which according to our chief medical officer in Australia offer 10-30% better protection which is better than nothing but the user needs to remember to behave as if they are not wearing a mask and maintain social isolation which is a more important step.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 9:51 pm

Every other source I’ve heard/read says masks + 6’ distance prevent transmission by a lot greater than 10-30%.