Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 7:52 pm

Texas man wants court order to investigate woman’s out-of-state abortion

Quote:
A Texas man is seeking a court order so he can depose a woman he was dating who traveled to Colorado to get an abortion, in a case that may have ramifications in the ongoing legal battles over abortion rights.

Collin Davis, a resident of Brazos County, filed a legal petition in March stating that on February 20 — the day after he learned the woman intended to obtain the abortion — he retained an attorney, who sent the woman a letter requesting that she preserve all records related to her plans to terminate the pregnancy.

According to the petition, the letter warned that he “would pursue wrongful-death claims against anyone involved in the killing of his unborn child.”

Antichoicers don't view women as people with rights of their own, period.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 8:24 pm

Tex-Ass was a slave state in 1865. They treat women like slaves in 2024.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 8:36 pm

One of Joe Walsh's albums was called You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind. That title is very applicable here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 8:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Alessandra Freitas and Tierney Sneed of CNN wrote:
A Texas man is seeking a court order so he can depose a woman he was dating who traveled to Colorado to get an abortion, in a case that may have ramifications in the ongoing legal battles over abortion rights.

Collin Davis, a resident of Brazos County, filed a legal petition in March stating that on February 20 — the day after he learned the woman intended to obtain the abortion — he retained an attorney, who sent the woman a letter requesting that she preserve all records related to her plans to terminate the pregnancy.

According to the petition, the letter warned that he “would pursue wrongful-death claims against anyone involved in the killing of his unborn child.”
If I understand the law correctly (and maybe I don't), an attorney's letter carries only the weight of the client's intent, and nothing more.  It does not carry the weight of a subpoena or summons, and the woman should incur no legal penalty for denying the "order" or for ignoring it completely.

The woman could just as easily have her attorney send a letter threatening legal action against the man for stalking and sexual assault (which resulted in her need for the Colorado trip).

Besides, how could the man prove the woman received an abortion, or even if the child was his without the woman's cooperation?  I seem to remember a Constitutional Amendment (and maybe I don't) that bestows the right to avoid self-incrimination -- the man has no case at all without the woman's full cooperation, and it does not look like he's gonna get it.

Why some men seem to believe that they own women's bodies -- especially their reproductive organs -- is beyond my comprehension.  I hope someone will enlighten me on this.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 8:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If I understand the law correctly (and maybe I don't), an attorney's letter carries only the weight of the client's intent, and nothing more.  It does not carry the weight of a subpoena or summons, and the woman should incur no legal penalty for denying the "order" or for ignoring it completely.

The woman could just as easily have her attorney send a letter threatening legal action against the man for stalking and sexual assault (which resulted in her need for the Colorado trip).

Besides, how could the man prove the woman received an abortion, or even if the child was his without the woman's cooperation?  I seem to remember a Constitutional Amendment (and maybe I don't) that bestows the right to avoid self-incrimination -- the man has no case at all without the woman's full cooperation, and it does not look like he's gonna get it.

I agree with your assessment and would describe this particular case as an expression of wishful thinking, but that's why I titled the thread as I did.

Even if some of their goals are unlikely to be achieved, this is a reflection of what they'd like to be able to do. They want women to be treated as criminals for ending pregnancies and they'll attempt to see it happen by hook or by crook.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 10:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
They want women to be treated as criminals for ending pregnancies and they'll attempt to see it happen by hook or by crook.
Even if the woman naturally miscarries, it seems . . .

https://apnews.com/article/ohio-miscarr ... 80cf3f27ce

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59214544

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SpiritCreeper
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2024, 2:25 am

As someone lucky enough to be living in a country with pretty good access to legal abortion, it must be scary living in Texas.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 4:02 am

Texas is also having some insane weather this last few weeks. Floods and tornadoes. Thats also scary.

Must be God...rewarding Texas for outlawing abortion!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 5:45 am

old_comedywriter wrote:

My state, Maryland, was also a slave state in 1865, and we have a legally protected right to abortion, so that's irrelevant.

https://governor.maryland.gov/news/press/pages/Governor-Moore-Signs-Historic-Reproductive-Freedom-Legislation,-Protects-Women%E2%80%99s-Reproductive-Rights-In-Maryland.aspx

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 10:19 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Why some men seem to believe that they own women's bodies -- especially their reproductive organs -- is beyond my comprehension.  I hope someone will enlighten me on this.

It's all part of ending "recreational" sex, according to the Project 2025 manifesto. Anybody who gets an abortion or uses contraception is immediately labeled "promiscuous", no matter their real reason for using those things.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SpiritCreeper
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2024, 2:38 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's all part of ending "recreational" sex, according to the Project 2025 manifesto. Anybody who gets an abortion or uses contraception is immediately labeled "promiscuous", no matter their real reason for using those things.

This info about the manifesto really shocked me. Why do politicians feel the need to regulate what consenting adults can do with their bodies? Have they got nothing more important to worry about? 8O

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 6:03 pm

SpiritCreeper wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

This info about the manifesto really shocked me. Why do politicians feel the need to regulate what consenting adults can do with their bodies? Have they got nothing more important to worry about? 8O

Combine that with the "law and order" stance of many conservatives, and it's no wonder prisons in red states are overcrowded. And like criminal justice as a whole, people of color and those who aren't wealthy will be more likely to face justice and get longer jail sentences.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 5:27 am

old_comedywriter wrote:

Ironically, we were of the first states to elect a female governor, back in 1924.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 6:31 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Are married couples who use birth control labeled that way in the Project 2025?I dont think commited married couples should be classified that way.I never thought the Republican Party would try to ban birth control because many Trump Supporting Republican women use birth control.

SpiritCreeper
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2024, 9:15 am

Ironically, if these states want to reduce abortions (specifically the ones that are needed for socio-economic reasons), the proven ways to do that are the ones they often despise: contraception (birth control) and comprehensive sex-ed. IDK about Texas specifically, but many of the states with abortion bans have terrible to no sex-ed. Often, it's a case of refusing to teach teens about contraception and getting shocked when they get pregnant. I've also heard vaguely of contraception bans, which is not going to help matters and may be related to that manifesto.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2024, 1:47 pm

SpiritCreeper wrote:
Ironically, if these states want to reduce abortions (specifically the ones that are needed for socio-economic reasons), the proven ways to do that are the ones they often despise: contraception (birth control) and comprehensive sex-ed. IDK about Texas specifically, but many of the states with abortion bans have terrible to no sex-ed. Often, it's a case of refusing to teach teens about contraception and getting shocked when they get pregnant. I've also heard vaguely of contraception bans, which is not going to help matters and may be related to that manifesto.

I was in public schools in Texas and it was abstinence-only way back in cave man times when I was in school. George W. Bush pushed for it in Texas way back when.A good documentary that talks about sex ed back during that time is "The Education of Shelby Knox."