The definition of “Karen” escalated quickly—I think.

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:10 pm

^ Which makes me wonder if there's a point at which a diluted or distorted term such as this one, actually does evolve to a broader definition? Of course well established terms with strict dictionary definitions would be unlikely to suffer this fate, but terms such as 'Karen' may be more suceptible. Are there examples of similar culturally developed terms that have evolved to a broader meaning based on the influence of the masses?

From League_Girl's post about the term trolling, it seems this one has retained a definition, despite the mainstream diluting it. But could there be instances where this isn't the case?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:19 pm

Sure. The word "queer" used to be a derogatory term for a homosexual person. Then it was reclaimed by that group and used as a self-descriptor by homosexuals. Now it's somehow become so broad that I don't actually know what it's supposed to refer to anymore.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 2:02 pm

I think people tossing the word "troll" round is people assuming their intentions behind their comments are done in a way to get a rise out of people and to create trouble and upset everyone. That is why so called "trolls" don't always get banned from here because it's difficult to prove they are actually trolling than just someone who is confused or has poor social skills or poor communication or just has different opinions. And if the user here is changing how they behave here, the mods won't ban that user since they have changed their ways after being informed about their behavior. They may not actually be a troll.

Real trolls do not care and they can just create a new account and come back under a VPN which is why some places auto ban accounts with a VPN when they register while using one.

I am sure there are trolls that fly under the radar and they can pose as a genuine member because they also change their ways but they just find other ways to troll instead. This will also be harder to prove they are a real troll than someone who is changing their ways to be a better person on here. So that is why some accounts stay and never get banned. Even a moderator here can believe that user here is also a troll but they can do nothing about it.

I am not basing this on anyone here of course, just basing this off of other peoples opinions who have critical views about this place and users here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 2:28 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Sure. The word "queer" used to be a derogatory term for a homosexual person. Then it was reclaimed by that group and used as a self-descriptor by homosexuals. Now it's somehow become so broad that I don't actually know what it's supposed to refer to anymore.

Yes that's a good example.

It will be interesting to see how internet coined terms such as 'Karen' are viewed in ~40 years. They could fall out of favor entirely, retain their original meaning, or evolve. Fascinating :nerdy: .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:21 pm

"Queer" also meant merely "odd" until rather recently.

I feel like the term "Karen" hasn't really changed much. It's just seems like more recent "Karens" happened to have been more racist than previously.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:53 pm

Probably because they keep being reported in the media and people keep uploading it to their social media site and it goes viral. Then people decided to start calling them Karens.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.