Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 11:01 am

Lol, this guy looks awesome.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Nov 2023, 2:16 pm

There are things to like about him, but he's nuts. Somehow managed to blunder a question on whether it should be legal to sell children for example, doesn't believe in climate change, thinks rape victims shouldn't have access to abortion, wants to abolish the Argentinian central bank, and wants to cut government spending by far more than is realistic without causing economic collapse.

I've talked about British politicians thinking that they're American a few times, I think Milei's the same. It makes sense for an American right-winger to praise Thatcher... it does not make sense for an Argentinian right-winger to praise Thatcher, especially while claiming that the Falklands should be given to Argentina.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 2:43 pm

Ah yes, the self-styled anarcho-capitalist (oxymoron), classical liberal, right-libertarian. Darling of Trump, Bolsonaro, and libertarians desperate for any electoral victory anywhere.
Now, watch with astonishment as he shrinks the government inasmuch as it screws over the poor, and grows it inasmuch as it benefits his corporate supporters. An-caps out here seriously thinking the capital class will ever actually allow the dismantling of the state lol. Keep the state big enough to benefit the rich, cut programs that benefit the poor, then blame the government when the voters whine about poverty.

The_Walrus wrote:
It makes sense for an American right-winger to praise Thatcher... it does not make sense for an Argentinian right-winger to praise Thatcher, especially while claiming that the Falklands should be given to Argentina.

I think his love of Thatcher's capitalism outweighs the Argentine nationalist bitterness about the Falklands. He seems to lean more into the capitalist aspect of the right than social conservatism--though he is openly no ally of feminists or the queers.
My understanding was that nowadays most Argentinians recognize the war was pointless and mainly an attempt to distract from domestic issues.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 8:47 pm

Some things SEEM like contradictions. Like having a drought and flood at the same time. Like having a plague of mice and a plague of feral cats at the same time, and having a "Libertarian dictatorship" (or being "an authoritarian libertarian").

In some parts of the world they probably have the first thing, I know that they frequently get the second thing in parts of Australia (the over running cats live off of and devastate the native wildlife but dont even touch the over populated mice carpeting the same piece of land at the same time), and P.J. Watson shows how you can have the worst of both worlds and be a "libertarian dictator" who ....repeals all laws about most things including rules on organ transplants, but wants to crack down on dissent.

Like most "Libertarians" he isnt REALLY that. He wants to ban all abortion. That on top of wanting to crack down on all media outlets that criticize him.

So yes. I would say so. They just elected a nutcase.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 2:10 am

Is he Jorge Videla 2.0?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 4:20 am

Is it even possible for him to make things worse than they already are?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 6:08 am

He sounds closer to being a fascist than a libertarian, based on what other people have said in this thread.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 6:47 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:

I hope so and I hope he does it really quickly. If he f***s up hard enough it Might be enough of an example to Americans to remind them what's going to happen if they re-elect the American trump.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2023, 11:21 am

goldfish21 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I hope so and I hope he does it really quickly. If he f***s up hard enough it Might be enough of an example to Americans to remind them what's going to happen if they re-elect the American trump.

How many Trump voters do you think could name a former President of Argentina?

In any case, while they have some similarities, there are also significant differences between Milei and Trump.

And come on... do you really want Argentina to suffer for America's benefit?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 11:47 am

Not a Trump voter, but can name the first president (Bartolome Mitre), and all of them from the Perons onward.

J. Peron, I. Peron, Videla, St Jean, LaCoste, Viola, Galtieri, Bignone, Alfonsin, Menem, de la Rua, Rodriguez Saa, Duhalde, N. Kirchner, C. Kirchner, Macri, Fernandez, Milei.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 11:58 am

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

In any case, while they have some similarities, there are also significant differences between Milei and Trump.

Please cry for me Argentinaaaaa..... :lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 3:56 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I hope he f***s up so spectacularly that it's headline news everywhere worldwide and a warning to Americans of what's to come if they put that reality tv clown back in office again. If he's that big of nutcase and that big of fuckup, then he'll be the first Argentinian president anyone is very aware of.. and that's enough if it puts people off from voting for unserious leaders who are going to do nothing but cause chaos and plunge their countries into debt.

It's for the greater good, so, Yes, yes I do. But not only for Americans -> for the entire world's benefit. Another trump presidency would destabilize a whole lot more than the USA. We're talking NATO and a whole lot more. If Argentinians are the only country to take a couple hits on the chin as a warning to the rest of the world to knock it off with these clown candidates.. then the end justifies the means and I'm okay with it having to happen.

edit: And even if the news never makes it to very many trump voters specifically (since they're all watching fox) even if it makes it to other Americans and it brings out the otherwise apathetic non voters to vote against trump, that could work, too.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 10:48 pm

carlos55 wrote:
No fan of PJW but….

Found this on YouTube god help Argentina

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GONrjIFCF ... ggd2F0c29u

This video is on the YouTube channel of Paul Joseph Watson, who, according to the Wikipedia article about him:

Quote:
[...] is a British far-right YouTuber, radio host, and conspiracy theorist. Until July 2016, Watson embraced the label "alt-right", but he now identifies as part of the New Right. In May 2019, Facebook and Instagram permanently banned Watson for violation of hate speech policies.

Watson's career emerged through his work for conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. As editor-at-large of Jones' website InfoWars, he helped promote fake news and advocated for 9/11, chemtrail, and New World Order conspiracy theories. Subsequently, reaching a significant audience, both Watson and Jones altered their focus. They now mainly focus on criticizing feminism, Islam, and left-wing politics. Watson also contributes to InfoWars's talk radio program The Alex Jones Show, which he occasionally hosts or co-hosts. Watson has been working at InfoWars since October 2002.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 7:19 am

goldfish21 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I hope he f***s up so spectacularly that it's headline news everywhere worldwide and a warning to Americans of what's to come if they put that reality tv clown back in office again. If he's that big of nutcase and that big of fuckup, then he'll be the first Argentinian president anyone is very aware of.. and that's enough if it puts people off from voting for unserious leaders who are going to do nothing but cause chaos and plunge their countries into debt.

It's for the greater good, so, Yes, yes I do. But not only for Americans -> for the entire world's benefit. Another trump presidency would destabilize a whole lot more than the USA. We're talking NATO and a whole lot more. If Argentinians are the only country to take a couple hits on the chin as a warning to the rest of the world to knock it off with these clown candidates.. then the end justifies the means and I'm okay with it having to happen.

edit: And even if the news never makes it to very many trump voters specifically (since they're all watching fox) even if it makes it to other Americans and it brings out the otherwise apathetic non voters to vote against trump, that could work, too.

What is it about a population that they elect clowns that inevitably destroy or cause some kind of catastrophe

George Bush
Boris Yeltsin
Donald Trump
Boris Johnson

These are just the ones that come to mind, there`s plenty more including some clown dictators

- George Bernie Shaw