The Bible says nothing about transgender people.

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:10 pm

It never says in the Bible that people can't be transgender or identify as a gender different from that assigned at birth. So why do some people act like the Bible is against people being transgender?

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:18 pm

As a polytheist, I have no idea...

But I heard that the ancient Sumerian Temples in Mesopotamia dedicated to the Goddess Inanna had male priests who dressed in women's clothing. Maybe they were more "transgender-friendly"? 8)

https://www.academuseducation.co.uk/pos ... identities

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:24 pm

It’s complicated.

There are a few Bible scriptures that they interpret a certain way. It mostly comes down to ignorance and thinking that trans folks are subverting God’s will though.

Deuteronomy 22:5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s apparel, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for whoever does such things is abhorrent to the Lord your God.”

(Obviously, a trans man is not a woman and vice versa. It circles back around to ignorance which is furthered by conservative media.)

The book of Deuteronomy also advocates stoning people and other crazy stuff, so…

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:34 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s complicated.

There are a few Bible scriptures that they interpret a certain way. It mostly comes down to ignorance and thinking that trans folks are subverting God’s will though.

Deuteronomy 22:5 “A woman shall not wear a man’s apparel, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for whoever does such things is abhorrent to the Lord your God.”

(Obviously, a trans man is not a woman and vice versa. It circles back around to ignorance which is furthered by conservative media.)

The book of Deuteronomy also advocates stoning people, so…

Plus somewhere in Leviticus it clearly states "If a man lies with another man, he is to be killed" (or something along those lines).

The fact is there is no defending the bible for being a handbook of how to oppress the LGBTQ community, women, and dark-skinned people.

I can respect Christians who don't act like hateful bigots because of what the Bible tells them, but I also have to ask myself "How can you truly believe in something if you disregard the rules for it?"

That's why I simply can't be a Christian.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:34 pm

TP beat me to it (Deuteronomy 22:5).

The fundies seem to not only cherry-pick Old Testament Bible verses as it suits them, but also seem to stretch their meanings to cover anything they want.

They also seem to ignore the fact that Jesus Himself was strangely silent on the subject, but instead preached a message of love for all.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:36 pm

There’s also a problematic passage at Romans 1:26, 27:

Quote:
For this reason God gave them over to dishonorable passions. Their females exchanged natural intercourse for unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the males, giving up natural intercourse with females, were consumed with their passionate desires for one another. Males committed shameless acts with males and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.
They could take this to mean that being trans is unnatural if they push it although it’s mostly anti-gay, obviously.

Some Christians just follow Jesus. He never said anything homophobic or transphobic although he’s not entirely without problems.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Apr 2024, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:39 pm

Fnord wrote:

They also seem to ignore the fact that Jesus Himself was strangely silent on the subject, but instead preached a message of love for all.

Except for that one Canaanite woman whom he compared to a dog begging for scraps.

https://www.goodnews.ie/canaanite.shtml

The same Canaanites who God commanded his people to commit genocide against. The same Canaanites who had their war and storm deities hijacked by the Ancient Israelities to create their "one true god".

Irony...

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:40 pm

^ Yeah, I was just thinking about that passage.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:41 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ Yeah, that’s what I was just thinking about.

Great minds think alike. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:47 pm

I like the message of love for all.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:51 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

:heart:

They also like to talk about how the Bible says God created people male and female and claim that if you try to change that, you are going against God’s plan for you. They don’t realize that trans people just want their outside to match their inside.

Fundamentalists buy into those crazy conspiracy theories about schools trying to make kids gay or trans because they love conservative news outlets.

So a combination of religious and political indoctrination is going on.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Apr 2024, 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 6:53 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

:heart:

They also like to talk about how the Bible says God created people male and female, so if you try to change that, you are going against God’s plan for you. They don’t realize that trans people often just want their outside to match their inside.

Fundamentalists buy into those crazy conspiracy theories about schools trying to make kids gay or trans because they live conservative news outlets.

So a combination of religious and political indoctrination is going on.

Which is precisely how you spawn a Donald Trump, or an Adolf Hitler. :jester:

j_k
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2024, 7:28 pm

I don't know. The Bible is wrong or unbelievable in so much that it includes, why should I care about what it doesn't say?

It tells you how to match clothes or how much you can beat a slave. God got pissed at Abraham when after he spared the lives of women and children of a warring nation. Lot was the hero of his story, but offered up his children to be raped by all the perverts in town.

I would not take morality lessons from this book (or any of the Abrahamic religions for that matter).

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 7:42 pm

j_k wrote:

I would not take morality lessons from this book (or any of the Abrahamic religions for that matter).

Well to be fair I wouldn't take morality lessons from every other religion because they all have some pretty messed up things.

For example Buddhists believed that women were incapable of obtaining "enlightement" and were born into this world with their supposedly "inferior" genders as a karmic punishment.

Many ancient religions like Norse Paganism not only thrived on slavery but would sacriface slaves so that they would continue being their master's property even after death.

I wouldn't even take lessons of morality from hardcore atheists like the ones in the USSR who had so many religious people executed and their property seized to create an atheist state.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I wouldn't even take lessons of morality from hardcore atheists like the ones in the USSR who had so many religious people executed and their property seized to create an atheist state.

Atheism doesn’t profess to be a belief/moral system. It’s just an absence of belief.

A lot of atheists are humanists, but you don’t need to be a humanist to not believe in a deity. It’s not like we have a holy book that we must follow.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 01 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j_k

01 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm

Oh crumbs... didn't get it off fast enough, and had to edit....

@reddeathflower

I don't disagree. But I just don't have the familiarity with them.

If you want to add them to the list of things we shouldn't take morals from, I'm on board :)

Going to add an edit because I go off my phone....

I like TwilightPrincess's response too, b/c there there's something there to the atheist/USSR argument. But I feel it doesn't hold up. Those ideas didn't come from some divine authority.... an ideal, perhaps. But it's a different argument altogether, I think.

Last edited by j_k on 01 Apr 2024, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.