if you believe in God...then please post why?

Page 5 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:05 pm

Comments have been made that the beauty and intricacy of the universe is overwhelming and that it is unimaginable that this has occurred out of the chance interactions of the laws of the universe. Is this an indication of God or of a lack of imagination?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 12:48 pm

calandale wrote:
MrMark wrote:
calandale wrote:
I don't think that anyone capable
of fully doing that, is human any longer.

Such is the nature of the world created by the creator god the lives in your mind.

This is the nature of the world created by the creator god that lives in my mind.

If you are correct here, pertaining to yourself,
I wonder that you find this the perfect world.
And if not, why 'tis still as it is.

No, I'm afraid the world created in my mind is far from perfect and needs the continous intervention of people who are able to see beyond their own finite existance.

- Emerson

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 1:16 pm

Raptor wrote:
All of creation could not have just happend.

Very true. And, even if it could have, we're nowhere near being able to assert it as fact.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2007, 9:06 pm

MrMark wrote:
No, I'm afraid the world created in my mind is far from perfect and needs the continous intervention of people who are able to see beyond their own finite existance.

So, you've willingly made a less than
perfect world? Or you lack the power?
If the latter, I've totally misread what
you've said.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 6:27 am

The subconscious mind is a very powerful force. Just try to control your subconscious impulses. Go on, just try.

The acients knew. A man would fall in love with a woman he knew he could not have. He blamed his resulting anti-social behavior on Athena, the goddess of love, or that mischeivious Cupid. They were aware of these very powerful subconscious forces, but believed they originated from outside themselves, just as most people do today.

"The Devil made me do it." Indeed, and that devil exists inside you, right next to your other powerful god(s).

Meditation is one way we know of to begin to identify and harness the power of these subconscious forces, to bring them into our consciousness. There's also psycho-therapy, dance, drugs, and others. In the meantime, we can communicate with our subconscious through the use of symbols.
More information can be found at your favorite (the One that resonates with you) spiritual/religious website. The Buddhists and the Jungians seem to be the most knowlegable about the use of symbols to access the gods within (the subconscious).

- Emerson

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 4:01 pm

'Twould seem that you're only advocating
as gods, the forces which rule our emotions.
I'd go further. That all of whatever is is subject to
those same whims (purely hypothetical here,
I've not mastered this).

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 7:45 pm

calandale wrote:
'Twould seem that you're only advocating
as gods, the forces which rule our emotions.
I'd go further. That all of whatever is is subject to
those same whims (purely hypothetical here,
I've not mastered this).

Yes, in the subjective worlds which we live, this is true. I cannot speak of the objective world, as I can only see the shadows it casts in my mind.

- Emerson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 7:47 pm

MrMark wrote:
Yes, in the subjective worlds which we live, this is true. I cannot speak of the objective world, as I can only see the shadows it casts in my mind.

I'm not trying to poke at you or anything but wouldn't that get depressing - telling yourself and believing that you can't see the real world for what it is?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:09 pm

MrMark wrote:

But by this, you are constructing an
objective world of sorts, by admitting
that there are multiple subjective ones,
no?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:10 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm not trying to poke at you or anything but wouldn't that get depressing - telling yourself and believing that you can't see the real world for what it is?

Delusions CAN make one happier,
but does it seem more noble to
be a lotus eater, or a truth seeker?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:16 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
MrMark wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. No, what can be depressing is trying to tell other people that what they think they see is not the real world.

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:18 pm

calandale wrote:
MrMark wrote:

But by this, you are constructing an
objective world of sorts, by admitting
that there are multiple subjective ones,
no?

Constructing an objective world? hmmm... Maybe deconstructing the objective world. How the hell should I know, I'm only half awake. :lol:

- Emerson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:20 pm

calandale wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I guess its different for all. I feel horridly unsafe, sick with myself, and like I'm rotting away if I decide to try chasing illusions. The only time I even feel the desire is when I feel like the world is coercing me into it on the guise of needing bragado; haven't done it in years and even if there is payoff in the social sense I'd be too disgusted by myself to really enjoy the results. So for me, I really can't be happy any other way - even when being a truth seeker raises antipathy from other people (which believe me, it does) that penalty still isn't enough to make it worth my while to go the other way.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:22 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
calandale wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I guess its different for all. I feel horridly unsafe, sick with myself, and like I'm rotting away if I decide to try chasing illusions. The only time I even feel the desire is when I feel like the world is coercing me into it on the guise of needing bragado; haven't done it in years and even if there is payoff in the social sense I'd be too disgusted by myself to really enjoy the results. So for me, I really can't be happy any other way - even when being a truth seeker raises antipathy from other people (which believe me, it does) that penalty still isn't enough to make it worth my while to go the other way.

Actually, I think that we are arguing the same
point, but with differing assumptions. I see any
objective world as a model (at best). There MAY
be something beyond what I can sense and think
about. 'Course, even admitting an 'I' and senses
and thoughts is a leap of faith. One which I seem
incapable of truly dispelling - though I try.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:23 pm

calandale wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The most zen-like exchange I've ever had was with a guy who hadn't been here 5 years yet. I asked him, "Can you remember where you were before you where here?" He thought for a moment and gave what I thought was just the ultimate zen-master answer.

"Why you ask such silly questions?!"

:lol:

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 8:25 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
calandale wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

It can be quite liberating. In fact enlightened masters are sometimes refered to as "liberated."

- Emerson