if you believe in God...then please post why?

Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2007, 7:26 pm

Not a hard question. The next thread I post will be the opposite; however, for this please respond only if affirmative in your belief.

Or even...if you believed and then changed your mind....

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 7:31 pm

I used to believe, now I'm not so sure, I think I'm in the middle.

MrKillerWhale
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2007, 8:37 pm

I don't beleive in god.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 12:47 pm

Cordelia wrote:
Not a hard question. The next thread I post will be the opposite; however, for this please respond only if affirmative in your belief.

Or even...if you believed and then changed your mind....

Sure it's hard question. There is no plural on it and you didn't say which concept for the singular or plural.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 12:53 pm

Yes.

I look at the awesome complexity of the universe, even in the most simple of systems, and conclude there has to be an intelligent design - and hence Designer - behind it all.

And I find the evidence for the Resurrection compelling.

18:33. Press 'Return'

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2007, 12:56 pm

I believe in God primarily because of my personal experiences of faith, which is interesting, considering that my cultural religious background has been primarily negative and hurtful. My belief in God does not rest on a rational scientific or philosophical proof of God's existence. As I've said in other posts, I think belief in God is intentionally strictly non-rational and counterintuitive. I guess that type of belief isn't everyone's cup of tea. I think people should believe what they honestly believe to be true, and that no one should ever think that they have reached full understanding.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 1:45 pm

I don't believe in a "conscious" god....

the universe and all therein definitely have some blatant design flaws or ineptitudes, to say the least...

yet i feel connected to all the universe and acknowledge that there is a reason why.

i don't believe in heaven/hell in a strict sense, yet i know they have very real meanings for everyone... myself included.

organized religion saddens me.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 2:18 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
Yes.

I look at the awesome complexity of the universe, even in the most simple of systems, and conclude there has to be an intelligent design - and hence Designer - behind it all.

Indeed. "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse" (Romans 1:20).

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that do good" (Psalm 14:1).

So, in order not to be a fool, you at least have to believe nature was created by a being. That doesn't make you wise, that makes you neutral -- ready to gain wisdom, should you choose to pursue it. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction" (Proverbs 1:7).

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 3:05 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:

I'm curious about this, is not that I want to dismiss this quickly as you might think, or contradict or whatever you or anyone have to say as this thread is only about believing in God or almost believing I suppose, then I will stick to it. But I am very curious about that evidence, if that has been said explicitly before then I missed it.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 9:05 pm

I like the idea of having a powerful foe.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2007, 9:07 pm

calandale wrote:
I like the idea of having a powerful foe.

Would you feel better if you were a Polymaltheist?

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 6:50 pm

greenblue wrote:
JonnyBGoode wrote:

I'm curious about this, is not that I want to dismiss this quickly as you might think, or contradict or whatever you or anyone have to say as this thread is only about believing in God or almost believing I suppose, then I will stick to it. But I am very curious about that evidence, if that has been said explicitly before then I missed it.

Not sure I want to reply to this post here, as anything posted by a Christian tends to be rabidly pounced upon. May reply in a PM later.

18:33. Press 'Return'

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 7:01 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
greenblue wrote:
JonnyBGoode wrote:

Not sure I want to reply to this post here, as anything posted by a Christian tends to be rabidly pounced upon. May reply in a PM later.

That's understandable. I was going to reply to whatever answer it was, didn't matter what, with "Thanks" without doing another comment on this, as I intent to respect this thread with the topic of 'Only believers', but I guess you are right that it might go to another direction if you post this, although I guess using the word 'evidence' was kinda risky, well it seemed, you had me asking this.

WatcherAzazel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2007, 9:48 pm

I believe in God because that's the way my brain's hardwired. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems too real to me for me to not believe in him. It's really that simple.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 10:47 pm

Why without him the Morning Star would not exist...

Kepler
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2007, 11:05 pm

WatcherAzazel wrote:
I believe in God because that's the way my brain's hardwired. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems too real to me for me to not believe in him. It's really that simple.

Ditto. I personally have a hard time with the intellectual concept of God not existing. I've just always felt the presence of God and probably always will. Which isn't to say that He/She/It does or doesn't exist, just that it's better for me as a person to believe in God.