Scientology is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 4:29 pm

^^ Are you seeing me forcing them with a sword to accept my opinions?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 6:45 pm

imo.... if you're dumb enough to spend your money on it.... then whomever gets your money, deserves it

edit: i didnt read all the posts.... im sorry speedy. im glad you got some money back. they are pretty unscrupulous

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2007, 8:15 pm

Anubis wrote:
There is a chance that Jesus was the real deal, through the various accounts of him and his followers. To turn a blind eye to that is folly.

There's also a chance that invisible pink monkeys are swinging from the trees outside my window.

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2007, 8:18 pm

I'm not seeing why scientology is being called a pyramid scheme while other religions in this country are not?

Scientology is small potatoes when compared to the cash cows of the Judeo-Christian religions.

BILLIONS in tax dollars aren't payed to the church of scientology, it goes to Christian religions for "services" that they provide to the community ... at a tidy profit of course. But do they pay taxes on it? How much land do various religions own in this country? Do they pay property taxes?

I'd worry about this problem before I worry about a few loonies who believe in scientology.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 9:19 pm

Stewie wrote:
Anubis wrote:
There is a chance that Jesus was the real deal, through the various accounts of him and his followers. To turn a blind eye to that is folly.

There's also a chance that invisible pink monkeys are swinging from the trees outside my window.

If they are invisible, then how could they be pink? They would have to be transparent to be invisible.

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2007, 12:50 am

pandabear wrote:
Stewie wrote:
Anubis wrote:

If they are invisible, then how could they be pink? They would have to be transparent to be invisible.

:)

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 1:59 am

pandabear wrote:
Stewie wrote:
Anubis wrote:

They could also be giving off light in the Gamma, X-ray, Infrared, Microwave or Radio spectrums :lol:

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2007, 4:31 am

Sedaka wrote:
imo.... if you're dumb enough to spend your money on it.... then whomever gets your money, deserves it

edit: i didnt read all the posts.... im sorry speedy. im glad you got some money back. they are pretty unscrupulous

Started reading this, thinking hey! Then, ok, thanks. :D . I consider myself naive to what is going on around me. To be fair to, well, me, I had not heard of them until I was in there trying to figure out what was wrong with my personality, and why it needed to be changed. I sent a psychology grad friend in later on, just to argue with them.

if so much money is not going to the scientologists, why do they have so many massive buildings around the US, and, of all things, big ships? These things do not come free from the aliens.

Anyway, anyone prepared to come up with, make and watch Battlefield Earth should be banned. Just banned, full stop. A. Load. Of. Tosh.

Taking into consideration the fact that I feel alien sometimes, I am not quite ready for the whole "we come from aliens" thing. If we come from aliens, where are they now?

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2007, 1:55 pm

Speedy wrote:
if so much money is not going to the scientologists, why do they have so many massive buildings around the US, and, of all things, big ships? These things do not come free from the aliens.

The money they have is child's play compared to the awesome, sometimes world-wide, empires of wealth that the more mainstream religions have. There's enough gold in Rome alone to buy 100 decomissioned ships. And that's not even talking about cash and bank accounts. They paid off a 500 million dollar sexual-abuse settlement without batting an eye.

The scientologists have a few massive building here and there, but do they have entire cities? Do they own multi-million dollar properties in prime locations in every city in the US? How many 10s of billions in land do they own in Europe?

My local chuch, in a county with a population of about 150,000, has enough gold in it to make 1000 wedding bands. You could make a a few hundred just from the large solid gold cup the priest drinks out of! The marble alter railing is a foot thick and 100 feet across. I don't know what that would cost, but it ain't cheap. And that's just one of 50 churches in an average sized county. The churches get TAX DOLLARS to run most of their community programs. Which may sound ok, but who's in charge? Who's accountable? What is the profit margin? What is the return on tax dollar investment? BILLIONS in tax dollars are paid to churches across the country for "services." Meanwhile, the people working for and running the non-profit organizations have bloated salaries to "organize" things. In my area, I can name several people running local non-profits, that supposed to be under the wing of the church, who make nearly 100k per year to "organize." That's double what most professionals make in my area.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 4:35 pm

Do modern Christian churches rip people off and attempt to bully and silence all their enemies? Are they shrouded in secrecy, and do you have to pay money to gain ranks and increased "treatment"? No. From that alone, I see it and Judaism as rather good faiths. Islam maybe not so, but it still has a thread of sanity.

Something Freeman Dyson said:

Dyson disagrees with the famous remark by his fellow-physicist Steven Weinberg that "Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things—that takes religion."

“Weinberg's statement is true as far as it goes, but it is not the whole truth. To make it the whole truth, we must add an additional clause: "And for bad people to do good things—that takes religion." The main point of Christianity is that it is a religion for sinners. Jesus made that very clear. When the Pharisees asked his disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" he said, "I come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance." Only a small fraction of sinners repent and do good things, but only a small fraction of good people are led by their religion to do bad things. "

Stewie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2007, 5:00 pm

Anubis wrote:
Do modern Christian churches rip people off

By that do you mean collect money in return for a ticket to fantasy land?

Anubis wrote:
and attempt to bully and silence all their enemies?

Religions don't lobby in Washington? Try to get evolution banned from science class? Try to bully politican candidates about fringe issues? Try to buy elections? Condemn non-believers to a fiery pit for eternity?

Anubis wrote:
Are they shrouded in secrecy

Any reports about Cardinals and Bishops tranferring priests to cover up sex-abuse?

Anubis wrote:
and do you have to pay money to gain ranks and increased "treatment"?

You got me here, it's not required, but it certainly helps! Although, the more you give, the more god will see you are sacraficing, so the more you will receive in the after life. So, yeah, I guess the more you pay, the better off you are.

Anubis wrote:
From that alone, I see it and Judaism as rather good faiths. Islam maybe not so, but it still has a thread of sanity.

I'm still looking for the thread of sanity in any of them. I see it as selling snake oil. It won't hurt if you drink it, but you could spend your money on better things.

I don't respond to passages from mythological books.

If people need to believe, that's fine, but, because its no more justifiable than any other possible belief anyone can make up, one should not condemn other beliefs that have equal merit (meaning all faith, no proof).

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 10:54 pm

L.Ron Hubburd was a sci-fi writer who created his own wierd religion. If Tom Cruise ,and others want to follow him then so be it. He may have been responsible for his own son's death.
We need to all beware of people who claim they have their "mouth to God's Ear." we need to remember what happened in "Jonestown" and "Wacco". People use God to abuse people to get what they want.People have been so hurt by these "Bible con artist". I hope all who read this heed it and be careful in their own walk in life. :)

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 11:39 pm

Scientology is the worse religion, if it is actually a religion, their views about psychiatry and psychology are very dangerous. Just imagine scientologist parents having an autistic child.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 5:26 am

Scientology is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Christianity is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Jewish is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Islam is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Hinduism is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Buddhism is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?
Religion is all dangerous lies, but should it be banned?

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2007, 8:39 pm

Scientology is relatively new to the game in one respect, compared to the big ones. If it had been around as long as the others, and became as dominant, I do not think that the world would be such a merry place. Not that it is a meery place for some, but you get the idea. Like what greenblue said, I would not like to have been raised that way, I would have been a complete screw up. They have no idea when it comes to psychology/psychiatry. Scary, scary people.

Not so sure that Buddhism is all dangerous lies, mind, dangerous if you cross a member of the White Lotus the wrong way, then they will just kick your butt. If I was to have contemporary faith, it would be Buddhism.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya