Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2008, 11:51 pm

Are any of you Atheists/Agnostics here on Youtube?

If so would you like to have an Aspie Atheist/Agnostic community??

(That would be subscribing to eachother, and adding eachother as friends)

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2008, 3:42 pm

Judging by the lack of replies, I take that as a no?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:28 pm

If I were to call myself anything, I would be a progressive agnostic, meaning I admit I do not know everything, but I actually strive for knowledge rather than just accepting that "I'm human so I can't know".

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:58 pm

I'm thinking of going on Youtube but I need to think of a name. I also need a web cam.

I prefer to refer to myself as "nonreligious" or “skeptic” rather than atheist though. I think atheist is a loaded term.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:01 pm

I might be interested in joining such a community, depending on what contributions are needed. I'm not really a fan of "video blogging" though.

Snake, I understand what you're saying - I believe most agnostics have found their positions logically through the scientific pursuit of knowledge. Keep in mind, though.. there are some questions that aren't supposed to be answered. Admitting one's ignorance is an important step towards progression, defining a universe with absolutes is what brings an end to exploration.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:24 pm

Seeking out and finding those ends is the way for society to end suffering and to create a better world. Unfortunately most people don't care to try and find the absolutes, but you've got to ask the questions: "what is the purpose for exploration" answer: to be a better person and to have more knowledge, "what is the goal of enlightenment" answer: to minimalize suffering. Ignorance is not a good thing, reguardless if our society values it or not, reguardless how it might "feel good" sub-consciously, it's still ignorance. I can overlook ignorance if I see someone is actually trying to be better, because some truths aren't so blatant that they just pop out. Ignorance is when people can not overcome their ego enough to accept logical criticism of themselves, they always wanna think theyr better than someone else (usually this is accompanied by group think and people wanna think theyr group is superior to all others), they can't look at themselves critically, they can't accept that their "tribe" has faults, and when you point those faults out they go into spin doctor mode to avoid taking responsibility.
And when they call me commie, little do they know I'm not attacking their individual opinion, because they lack an individual opinion, they'll just repeat whatever their group thinks. Ultimately in this society, at the end of the day, there are generally only 2 people, the liberal and the conservative, both ideologies that were ***GIVEN*** to them (thereby making it not their opinion to begin with, and most people do not even know their own opinion because theyr too busy following the sheep fold). Yet, they believe they are free. How is one free to think if their mind is in shackles? Just now a few more people are just starting to think on their own.
I'm not perfect, I will admit I am not perfect. That does not mean that I don't try to embetter myself. I don't play all these spin doctor games to avoid obvious criticisms (post modernism, moral relativism, call those games what you like), or to aid ignorance. I don't make excuses for myself either.
My intent is not to sound arrogant, not at all, I do care about people, even the ignorant sheep, but how can one call me ignorant when I've actually thought about my opinion rather than just swallowing someone else's? Basic secular morality is not a hard thing to comprehend, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:25 pm

I mean people treat each other like dog s**t, when you point out where they gotta play spin doctor or make excuses, because they do not wanna give up their ignorance. Denial is a defense mechanism. Ignorance, which is being bred from our media (different tv stations particularly, depending if your right wing or left wing) is like today's crack cocaine, the television is the crack house. People are becoming seriously addicted to their own ignorance, but they'll never admit it, like a crack addict won't admit to being addicted to the rocks. Admitting this, however, is a huge step in overcoming the ego.

Last edited by snake321 on 13 Jan 2008, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:27 pm

If you are a true truth seeker, you will eventually stumble upon the ultimate truth of morality, and it is actually surprisingly simple, and fair to everyone. But that's the problem, people don't wanna be fair to others, they wanna be "better".

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 5:31 pm

I assure you I've looked at myself critically, I always do. I've ironed out my wrinkles, so I am not ignoring criticism of myself either. Someone once said "you've got to be the change you want to see in the world". That is a true statement.