Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Jan 2008, 12:20 pm

ok you know the thing ive noticed in the last 6 or so years is the medias increasingly involvement in politics, i mean why? arent they supose to be objective and all and just report the news? some examples are; fox news is for the right wingers and msnbc is for the lefties. has anyone else noticed this discusting trend?

i think people are much more maluable if there are only two gangs to chose from, what do you think?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 1:47 pm

All the MSM in the US is biased towards the right, there is no "liberal media."

The MSM is mostly owned by large corporations like GE and get revenue from other large corporations advertising their goods and services, so there the MSM will, simply because of how corporations function, have a bias towards political positions that are good for the corporate elite. A corporation's only responsibility is to maximize shareholder profit, the end result is that a network like NBC becomes a propaganda tool for manipulating public opinion in a way that maximizes GE's (which owns NBC) profits. So, for example, GE has contracts with the Department of Defense and thus has in interest in manipulating public opinion towards supporting the Iraq war, and that thus biases NBC's news coverage.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 4:59 pm

I think both "liberals" and "conservatives" likely each run their own networks, be it media, entertainment, music, etc. "Left" and "right" wings, know one ever asked what the wings belonged to, heh, it's really all just one fascist ideology split in two.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 5:02 pm

richardbenson wrote:
ok you know the thing ive noticed in the last 6 or so years is the medias increasingly involvement in politics, i mean why? arent they supose to be objective and all and just report the news? some examples are; fox news is for the right wingers and msnbc is for the lefties. has anyone else noticed this discusting trend?

i think people are much more maluable if there are only two gangs to chose from, what do you think?

I think the difference is it all used to be for the lefties - now, ever since Fox News and a lot of talk radio came around the dems have sand in their well...you can complete the rest. My dad was talking on the phone to one our relatives about his concerns, dems REALLy want to get rid of talk radio because they can't own it. They have most of the TV news channels, they have the colleges, and they can't stand opposition or counterpoints to their ideas just because it tares up their style and points out the flaws in their logic. I don't know if my dad's right on this but he's real worried that if a dem president gets in, they could sign an executive order to abolish talk radio which could only be undone in the Supreme Court - might be paranoia on his point, then again it might not be.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 5:03 pm

Then again the only thing I don't like about the whole of conservative TV and radio is just how much one man - Rupert Murdock, is coming to own. If they had a more diverse mix of people it would be a better thing IMO but it kinda bugs me when one man has that much wield in the say of it all.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

I think the difference is it all used to be for the lefties - now, ever since Fox News and a lot of talk radio came around the dems have sand in their well...you can complete the rest. My dad was talking on the phone to one our relatives about his concerns, dems REALLy want to get rid of talk radio because they can't own it. They have most of the TV news channels, they have the colleges, and they can't stand opposition or counterpoints to their ideas just because it tares up their style and points out the flaws in their logic. I don't know if my dad's right on this but he's real worried that if a dem president gets in, they could sign an executive order to abolish talk radio which could only be undone in the Supreme Court - might be paranoia on his point, then again it might not be.

Us Dems went around the Republican talk radio propaganda machine via the internet. Now WE are the more powerful force, BWAHAHAHAHA!! ! :twisted: And your dad is being paranoid if he honestly thinks a Dem president is going to ban talk radio, only morons listen to Oxycontin Rush anyway.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Jan 2008, 7:09 pm

Odin wrote:
only morons listen to Oxycontin Rush anyway.
i agree

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 7:49 pm

Odin wrote:
Us Dems went around the Republican talk radio propaganda machine via the internet. Now WE are the more powerful force, BWAHAHAHAHA!! !

Kinda more like just trying to reassert what you started with. Still - colleges, most news papers, CNN, NBC, ABC, NPR, most major colleges - you aren't doing bad for yourselves.

Odin wrote:
And your dad is being paranoid if he honestly thinks a Dem president is going to ban talk radio, only morons listen to Oxycontin Rush anyway.

There's also Dennis Pragher, Paul Medvid, Laura Ingrahm, lots of people out there. I think the only one I really listen to much and really like his logic is Pragher.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 7:51 pm

richardbenson wrote:
Odin wrote:
i agree

Lots of people seem to swallow that crazy liberal hippy koolaid as well - I can think of a million adjectives myself for it; emotional rancor doesn't make supremacy though.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Jan 2008, 7:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
Odin wrote:
i agree
Lots of people seem to swallow that crazy liberal hippy koolaid as well.
i agree

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 11:24 pm

Vested interests. Listen to both sides of the news, I guess, and don't take opinion to be fact.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 1:22 am

Odin wrote:

:lol:

Good one. Certainly not the MSM that allowed (even encouraged) Dan Rather to conjure phony documents out of thin air days before the last presidential election.

Bias? http://newsbusters.org/

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Jan 2008, 9:43 am

Anubis wrote:
Vested interests. Listen to both sides of the news, I guess, and don't take opinion to be fact.
that was a moon shot, AND I LIKE IT :D

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

UncleBeer wrote:
Odin wrote:

Good one. Certainly not the MSM that allowed (even encouraged) Dan Rather to conjure phony documents out of thin air days before the last presidential election.

AFAIK that was mostly a case of bad journalism on Rather's part, not an intentional conspiracy to mislead.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 1:46 pm

Odin wrote:
UncleBeer wrote:
Odin wrote:

AFAIK that was mostly a case of bad journalism on Rather's part, not an intentional conspiracy to mislead.

Lessee: Rather was 'presented' with clearly faked documents damning Bush's National Guard service, and didn't bother to thoroughly check the provenance of either the documents or their source. Rather had on numerous occasions voiced his distaste for the President in no uncertain terms, and he was apparently in a big hurry to break the story before the 2004 election. While CBS producers (aka: MSM) staunchly defended Rather's "journalist integrity", the 'new media' (aka: bloggers) pounced.

When Rather was preparing the 'story', the expertise of four forensic document experts was asked. Three told him the documents were fake. He dismissed their concerns as those of "partisan political operatives." CBS producers supported this decision.

Also this:

Quote:
Some critics of CBS and Dan Rather argued that by proceeding with the story when the documents had not been authenticated, CBS was exhibiting liberal bias and attempting to influence the outcome of the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election. Often cited as evidence of this theory is an email from freelance journalist Michael Smith to Mapes, in which he pitched the documents as the basis of a story by asking, "What if there was a person who might have some information that could possibly change the momentum of an election but we needed to get an ASAP book deal to help get us the information?" Mapes replied, "that looks good, hypothetically speaking of course." The Thornburgh-Boccardi report found that producer Mary Mapes' contacting of Kerry adviser Joe Lockhart was "highly inappropriate," and that it, "crossed the line as, at a minimum, it gave the appearance of a political bias and could have been perceived as a news organizations' assisting a campaign as opposed to reporting on a story."

"No liberal bias in the MSM". :lol:

jfrmeister
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2008, 3:45 pm

I don't think the media is any more or less involved in politics as it has been in the past.

There have always been media sources that take one side or another.