Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 3:00 am

I came up withe following:
Do you love someone
-because it is moral to love someone or...
-is it moral to love the person because you love them?
-If it is the first, and you found morality required hatred of others, then you would hate the person (you love them for the sake of fulfilling a moral law, not for their own sakes).
-If it is the second, then morality is dependent on subjective preference.

Basically, morality is either irrelevant to what we do or it is subjective.

(BTW, even if such things as objective moral rules existed, they are uselss to us if we don't know what they are. Analogy: a map will not help you find the way if you don't have access to the map.)

Last edited by IpsoRandomo on 08 Jan 2008, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 3:05 am

I also don't see how "objective morality" (whatever that means) is even a coherent concept:

What isn't problematic:
-Speaking of moral rules as rules (but without a non-subjective basis).
-Using moral “rules” as a way of describing human and animal behavior.

What is problematic:
-Defining the term “objective” in the context of “objective” moral laws.
-What does it mean for one action or thought to take “precedence” over another (what does it mean for one action to be “better” than another? Does it mean anything for that matter)? I have yet to encounter a definition of what this means.
-Determining what criteria we use to determine which ethical theory is correct (not the more approximate question of which actions are “correct,” but how we determine which corresponding criteria of right and wrong are correct).
-Determining how & what it means for values to exist apart from those who form the the value judgments.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 4:07 am

Love is subjective, not objective. It is something that happens between 2 people (may be possible between more than 2 or oneself, but that's a different issue). You want to be with that person, you trust them and understand, or at least put up with that person's quirks :P.

I think your comment sort of shows your AS. over-thinking it all :roll:

Also considering a lot of what is considered morally right and wrong is learned and not instinctive I don't think the concept of "objective morality" is plausible. Most would consider it morally wrong to murder right? In some cultures it can be a morally right thing to do, in certain circumstances.

So hrmm yeah morality is subjective but it is learned subjectiveness for the most part. I dont think morality has anything to do with love, just what is considered acceptable and not acceptable within a love relationship.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 4:29 am

Well then, I guess we agree.

(BTW, your last paragraph refers to what is often called inter-subjective ethics)

As for over thinking,
-Those who say this usually lack support for their arguments (sometimes you need to be detailed to see where an error in reasoning lies).
+ Though you should always answer the broader questions first.
-Interesting questions and issues maybe considered all the same.

My analogy to love was to demonstrate how we relate to value judgments in general. My focus was not on love specifically (except as an analogy) and more on value judgments in general.

Last edited by IpsoRandomo on 08 Jan 2008, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 4:38 am

There can be no values outside of the context of something that values. To be alive is to have things that can work for or against that life. A rock can not have values, for instance. So don't try and distance values away from a valuer.

And Love IS objective. It is a recognition of your own highest values in another person. Whether you know they are your highest values or not is another matter.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 4:44 am

Izaak wrote:
There can be no values outside of the context of something that values. To be alive is to have things that can work for or against that life. A rock can not have values, for instance. So don't try and distance values away from a valuer.

And Love IS objective. It is a recognition of your own highest values in another person. Whether you know they are your highest values or not is another matter.

I think you misunderstood my arguments with your last paragraph. I honestly don't know what people mean when they use the term "objective" in the context of ethics.

You're obviously not using the word in the same way as them, so there may be some confusion between us because of how we define the words.

(BTW, I'm not sure whether you completely agree with me)

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 7:15 am

This thread really needs to be in PPR.

IpsoRandomo wrote:
I came up withe following:
Do you love someone
-because it is moral to love someone or...
-is it moral to love the person because you love them?
-If it is the first, and you found morality required hatred of others, then you would hate the person (you love them for the sake of fulfilling a moral law, not for their own sakes).
-If it is the second, then morality is dependent on subjective preference.

Basically, morality is either irrelevant to what we do or it is subjective.

(BTW, even if such things as objective moral rules existed, they are uselss to us if we don't know what they are. Analogy: a map will not help you find the way if you don't have access to the map.)

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 7:38 am

There is no such thing as objectivity. There is only ever consensus. The thing about being human is that we can only ever see things from our unique perspective. We are a conciousness that is wrapped (trapped!)in a phsysical body. This is in my opinion both a great blessing & a curse. To claim objectivity is to put oneself at an artificial remove from this & claim to know the 'truth'. There may well be an absolute truth but we humans experience life from a point of view. We cannot see everything from everywhere at the same time, so we will never know true objectivity or absolute truth.

We can know the existance of things outside of our immediate experience because the world presents itself like a 'horizon' to us. This is to say that it's appearance changes to us as we move through it. We know that a building has more than one side to it because we can move around it. We then mine our knowledge of this for future reference. As we move though life our perspectives change both spatially and in terms of our perceptions of reality. Our aquired knowledge changes too and if we allow ourselves, we can learn to change our assumptions based on new evidence as it presents itself.

These perceptions can be influenced by outside forces (society, media, peer pressure, etc) but we always see the world subjectively, that is 'from a distinct point of view'.

People experience certain little 'truths' in our lives but what is true for one person is untrue for another. Everything else is consensus reality - ie: 'grass is green - the sky is blue' etc.

The irony of objectivitists is that they use their supposed 'objectivity' to push their own highly subjective agendas down other peoples throats. The fact that theres a group of them saying the same thing does not mean that they are nesscesarily right. The point is that they have to find other like-minds who are in agreement with their subjective points of view in order to arrive at their 'objectivity' or 'truth'.

Izzak - A rock has no conciousness but people do :) Love is entirely subjective. if this was not the case then there would be no (or very little) confict between the sexes (and/or individuals - in the case of gay people).

We had a 'lively' debate regarding objectivity a while ago. I think I offended you. I didn't mean to, I just disagree strongly with you on this one. I've since read some of your other posts and responded to a few and you seem like a great guy! :D

I'll leave you all with the following quote;

"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment." - Robert Anton Wilson

I realize that i've just said that such and such 'is' so and so in the above. This is a paradox of being human and seeing from a point of view. We think that what we say IS right and that other people are wrong.

Last edited by autodidact on 08 Jan 2008, 8:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 8:27 am

SirLogiC wrote:

Also considering a lot of what is considered morally right and wrong is learned and not instinctive I don't think the concept of "objective morality" is plausible. Most would consider it morally wrong to murder right? In some cultures it can be a morally right thing to do, in certain circumstances.

Actually to "murder" IS wrong in all cultures, what you mean is that some cultures consider KILLING acceptable in certain circumstances. Because the definition of murder is killing which is unjustified by moral standards. What one culture considers unjustified killing (murder), another culture might consider justified. But no culture considers murder acceptable.

All cultures have the same values---the only difference is in their application or at what point one outweighs the other. For instance, a culture or person may disagree on when it is acceptable to bravely fight in battle, but no culture values cowardice as a value. Some culture or person may be a pacifist, but it is not because they disvalue bravery and value cowardice, but because their value of human life is greater, and outweighs the other value. IF a person could act bravely without taking life it would be moral to them.

Or two cultures may differ on how many wives a man may take or how long he must keep them, but no culture believes a man may simply take whatever woman he wants whenever he wants her (cultures that do this disintegrate). Two cultures or people may differ on how love is expressed, but all agree that to love is good. Two cultures may disagree on what a family looks like, but all believe in family.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 8:36 am

autodidact wrote:
There is no such thing as objectivity.

Is that true for me as well as for you? Well if I were to accept that statement, I would have to assume it is, because if it was only true for one of us, then it's not true for me. If it's true for you and not for me, then to you there is no such thing as objectivity, and for me there is. Therefore, it is true for me that objectivity exists, and therefore my beleif in objectivity applies to you as well.

If all you can't know anything, how do you know you're getting closer to the truth? You don't have to know everything absolutely to recognize that something can be true absolutely. If truth couldn't be absolute, it would not be truth. I don't have to know everything about something to know that it is true. If I told you my dad is a dentist, you would not then grill me on questions related to dentistry for me to prove it.

If you claim no one can really know anything, why should I believe you when you say you know this? Perhaps you will say that this is another one of those little truths that may be more or less true. If that is all it is, then it's not much better. You still would have to concede that I have no more reason to believe you than the opposing claim.

And try going a few minutes in a conversation without using the word "IS". It is (oh my theres that word) impossible without conscious effort. The only reason we even make any claims on appearance, to even talk about the way things appear to us, is that we believe inherently that what we percieve has a relation to that which "IS". If I see a tree outside my window, it is not my job to prove that it exists. Perhaps it doesn't. Perhaps I am hallucinating. Or perhaps somebody put up a model of a tree that looks real (that doesn't change that what I am seeing IS real, it is only a question of a real "what", I am merely mislabelling it and giving false assumptions on the truth I see). If you tell me that whatever I see is not real or I have no way of knowing, how would I even know that to be true? The only way I can even know I am deceieved ever is that when I am, my senses are right most of the time.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 8:52 am

Juggernaut wrote:
autodidact wrote:
There is no such thing as objectivity.

Is that true for me as well as for you? Well if I were to accept that statement, I would have to assume it is, because if it was only true for one of us, then it's not true for me. If it's true for you and not for me, then to you there is no such thing as objectivity, and for me there is. Therefore, it is true for me that objectivity exists, and therefore my beleif in objectivity applies to you as well.

If all you can't know anything, how do you know you're getting closer to the truth? You don't have to know everything absolutely to recognize that something can be true absolutely. If truth couldn't be absolute, it would not be truth. I don't have to know everything about something to know that it is true. If I told you my dad is a dentist, you would not then grill me on questions related to dentistry for me to prove it.

If you claim no one can really know anything, why should I believe you when you say you know this? Perhaps you will say that this is another one of those little truths that may be more or less true. If that is all it is, then it's not much better. You still would have to concede that I have no more reason to believe you than the opposing claim.

And try going a few minutes in a conversation without using the word "IS". It is (oh my theres that word) impossible without conscious effort. The only reason we even make any claims on appearance, to even talk about the way things appear to us, is that we believe inherently that what we percieve has a relation to that which "IS". If I see a tree outside my window, it is not my job to prove that it exists. Perhaps it doesn't. Perhaps I am hallucinating. Or perhaps somebody put up a model of a tree that looks real (that doesn't change that what I am seeing IS real, it is only a question of a real "what", I am merely mislabelling it and giving false assumptions on the truth I see). If you tell me that whatever I see is not real or I have no way of knowing, how would I even know that to be true? The only way I can even know I am deceieved ever is that when I am, my senses are right most of the time.

I'm getting at the concept of objectivity being nonsense as we can never live objectively, only subjectively. Truth is relative to our subjective perceptions of it. I never claimed that no one can know anything! Of course people can know things, but this knowledge is for the most part tentative and subject to change over time. Otherwise we stagnate and can never learn anything new. The pursuit of knowledge is important but imagination and the ability to think differently is just as vital.

The paradox and a big part of the pain of being human is that 'sticking rigidly to opinions' destroys dialogue (look at politics, religon or these forums!, kidding :) ) but we are all people who see the world from a particular point of view. It's trying to live with others without hurting them thats the hard part.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:31 am

autodidact wrote:
There is no such thing as objectivity. There is only ever consensus. The thing about being human is that we can only ever see things from our unique perspective. We are a conciousness that is wrapped (trapped!)in a phsysical body. This is in my opinion both a great blessing & a curse. To claim objectivity is to put oneself at an artificial remove from this & claim to know the 'truth'. There may well be an absolute truth but we humans experience life from a point of view. We cannot see everything from everywhere at the same time, so we will never know true objectivity or absolute truth.

We can know the existance of things outside of our immediate experience because the world presents itself like a 'horizon' to us. This is to say that it's appearance changes to us as we move through it. We know that a building has more than one side to it because we can move around it. We then mine our knowledge of this for future reference. As we move though life our perspectives change both spatially and in terms of our perceptions of reality. Our aquired knowledge changes too and if we allow ourselves, we can learn to change our assumptions based on new evidence as it presents itself.

These perceptions can be influenced by outside forces (society, media, peer pressure, etc) but we always see the world subjectively, that is 'from a distinct point of view'.

People experience certain little 'truths' in our lives but what is true for one person is untrue for another. Everything else is consensus reality - ie: 'grass is green - the sky is blue' etc.

The irony of objectivitists is that they use their supposed 'objectivity' to push their own highly subjective agendas down other peoples throats. The fact that theres a group of them saying the same thing does not mean that they are nesscesarily right. The point is that they have to find other like-minds who are in agreement with their subjective points of view in order to arrive at their 'objectivity' or 'truth'.

Izzak - A rock has no conciousness but people do :) Love is entirely subjective. if this was not the case then there would be no (or very little) confict between the sexes (and/or individuals - in the case of gay people).

We had a 'lively' debate regarding objectivity a while ago. I think I offended you. I didn't mean to, I just disagree strongly with you on this one. I've since read some of your other posts and responded to a few and you seem like a great guy! :D

"Is", "is." "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment." - Robert Anton Wilson

I realize that i've just said that such and such 'is' so and so in the above. This is a paradox of being human and seeing from a point of view. We think that what we say IS right and that other people are wrong.

Autodidact: Yeah I remember. A lot of veiled ad hominem attacks directed at "Objectivists in general" in order to tar me with the same brush. It's sad, much like the way you find Objectivists, because when you just shut up and debate the idea on the table I quite like the back and forth. When you start with stuff like in this post, it gets a little grating. So while you are not "offending" me, you certainly are not doing my opinion of you any favours. P.S. This is Objective ethics, not Objectivist ethics. I have not mentioned Objectivism nor has anyone else, I don't see any need to bring it up.

Oh, and to be contrary, love is OBJECTIVE. I never mentioned that a rock could love. I quite categorically implied that it could not. What causes conflict is that people sometimes mistake what their highest values are and/or misjudge other peoples. That humans are separate and independent entities gives rise to the clashes. You don't need subjectivity to explain human nature. Merely because peoples values do not always line up (remember people chose their values so their focus and criteria and thus their results will be different) you do not need to bring in the Unknowable Universe premise.

As for Objectivity...
From American Heritage Dictionary: (definition 3)
Objective:
a. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic.
b. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.

Objective ethics then is the attempt to formulate a set of guidelines for human action based on rational means free from emotional or prejudicial means. There have been many attempts to get an objective ethics. With varying degrees of success and ACTUAL objectivity. Some have merely been re-writing of subjective ethics but with a few reality based rationalisations etc...

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:33 am

IpsoRandomo wrote:
Well then, I guess we agree.

(BTW, your last paragraph refers to what is often called inter-subjective ethics)

As for over thinking,
-Those who say this usually lack support for their arguments (sometimes you need to be detailed to see where an error in reasoning lies).
+ Though you should always answer the broader questions first.
-Interesting questions and issues maybe considered all the same.

My analogy to love was to demonstrate how we relate to value judgments in general. My focus was not on love specifically (except as an analogy) and more on value judgments in general.

Perhaps you would offer your definition that you are operating from?

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 10:40 am

Izaak wrote:
autodidact wrote:

Autodidact: Yeah I remember. A lot of veiled ad hominem attacks directed at "Objectivists in general" in order to tar me with the same brush. It's sad, much like the way you find Objectivists, because when you just shut up and debate the idea on the table I quite like the back and forth. When you start with stuff like in this post, it gets a little grating. So while you are not "offending" me, you certainly are not doing my opinion of you any favours. P.S. This is Objective ethics, not Objectivist ethics. I have not mentioned Objectivism nor has anyone else, I don't see any need to bring it up.

Oh, and to be contrary, love is OBJECTIVE. I never mentioned that a rock could love. I quite categorically implied that it could not. What causes conflict is that people sometimes mistake what their highest values are and/or misjudge other peoples. That humans are separate and independent entities gives rise to the clashes. You don't need subjectivity to explain human nature. Merely because peoples values do not always line up (remember people chose their values so their focus and criteria and thus their results will be different) you do not need to bring in the Unknowable Universe premise.

As for Objectivity...
From American Heritage Dictionary: (definition 3)
Objective:

Objective ethics then is the attempt to formulate a set of guidelines for human action based on rational means free from emotional or prejudicial means. There have been many attempts to get an objective ethics. With varying degrees of success and ACTUAL objectivity. Some have merely been re-writing of subjective ethics but with a few reality based rationalisations etc...

Izzak, we can never get to objective ethics that mean a damn (in my opinion) because we cannot fully seperate or eliminate our emotions and prejudices from our reasoning. Many people claim to be able to do this but this is just self-deluding BS (in my opinion). What proof of this? you've just demonstrated this in your post (as have I ) by sticking to your beliefs passionately. Now if you can offer me tangible proof that it is possible to do either of these things;

..without somehow being skewed by your own individual personality and take on things, then i'd sincerely like to hear it.
We know that people can legitimately experience the world in a subjective manner but what about the other way round?

As for 'veiled ad hominem attacks directed at "Objectivists in general" in order to tar me with the same brush' I think that it's very sad that you feel this but I can assure you that it was not the intent and there was nothing 'veiled' about anything. I can't do anything about the way you feel. All I can do is talk and try to understand. Trying to do one-upmanship on people is childish and boring. I wanted a debate. Nothing more or less.

If you find my opinions grating then you can leave them. I think its sad that you harbour such low opinions of people who disagree with you but otherwise try to be friendly. I'm not out to attack you personally. I just wish you'd accept this :(

Last edited by autodidact on 08 Jan 2008, 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 11:13 am

Ethics, morality, truth and value judgements depend entirely on the people who are making them, at the specific point in time that they are making them. Things that individuals or society consider 'wrong' usually change over time, only to come back later in a changed form. Life is in constant flux.

autodidact
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2008, 11:46 am

Izaak wrote:

I stand corrected about the rock thing! didn't see what you meant :) but as for love.. You say something interesting in the statement;

' What causes conflict is that people sometimes mistake what their highest values are and/or misjudge other peoples. That humans are separate and independent entities gives rise to the clashes'

Values are SUBJECTIVE and made by individuals. Conflict is a clash of opposing SUBJECTIVE values for christsake! - I'm not going on about the 'Unknowable Universe premise' either. I think that the universe is ONLY EVER PARTIALLY KNOWABLE. Just like people. Love is blind!

It was PEOPLE that I was talking about. If love were TRULY objective then the world would be full of more blissfully happy couples than it is. There would be less rows between couples because they could put aside their emotions and be 'objective' :roll: about their respective foibles and thus, there would be far less cases of divorce or break-ups. This ain't ever gonna happen.

In order for any sucessful relationship to work, one party has to know when to 'back-down'. What we need to ask one another is 'is it worth destroying our relationship over?'. Women are much better at realizing this than men, who tend to be more obstinate (not a hard & fast rule, I know!).

The problem nowadays is that more and more people are less willing to try and 'work' on their relationships. We are all selfish to a degree :(