Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 12:33 pm

Every time we draw a line between one group of people and another we only distract ourselves from the fact that there is a line between good and evil that runs down the center of every person.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 12:39 pm

I agree, and sometimes one is tipped out of balance.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Feb 2008, 12:44 pm

i think god is both good and evil, IF he has the apparent ability to make evil theres a chance he could be :wink:

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 12:46 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i think god is both good and evil, IF he has the apparent ability to make evil theres a chance he could be :wink:

This thread is not about God, but thank you for your comment.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Feb 2008, 12:48 pm

maybe i should have thrown in the christian god in there somewhere :nerdy:

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 1:11 pm

richardbenson wrote:
maybe i should have thrown in the christian god in there somewhere :nerdy:

This thread is not about God, god, gods or deities of any kind. I appreciate your opinion about god being both good and evil. Many people agree with that perspective. However, this thread is about people in general and where they choose to draw the line between what is good and evil regardless of their religious views. I respectfully request that you not hijack this thread by changing the original subject. Thanks again for commenting.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 2:05 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
This thread is not about God, god, gods or deities of any kind. I appreciate your opinion about god being both good and evil. Many people agree with that perspective. However, this thread is about people in general and where they choose to draw the line between what is good and evil regardless of their religious views. I respectfully request that you not hijack this thread by changing the original subject. Thanks again for commenting.

You can't spell "Good" without "God" ! !

Ok, seriously? There is a potential for good and evil in everyone. Not sure that a line runs down the middle (50-50 mix). But your point is largely valid.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 3:38 pm

monty wrote:
spdjeanne wrote:

You can't spell "Good" without "God" ! !

Ok, seriously? There is a potential for good and evil in everyone. Not sure that a line runs down the middle (50-50 mix). But your point is largely valid.
:lol:

I agree that the line doesn't always run right down the middle. I shouldn't have said, "runs down the center of every person." I guess I just get tired of all the debates about this group or that group of people ruining the world when I think that it is partially everyone's fault. That is really all I was trying to say.

I've never heard, "You can't spell "'Good' without 'God' ! !" That is truly absurd and also very funny. :D

monty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 4:26 pm

Just came up with the spelling slogan for this thread - I guess I was primed by earlier threads here about that topic (I subscribe to the idea that right/wrong and good/evil do not require religion).

Some religions I have read about do not believe in evil as an extant concept - evil is seen as the absence of good, as nothingness.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2008, 10:24 pm

IMO, good and evil are nothing more than words to describe one's values.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 11:10 pm

monty wrote:
Just came up with the spelling slogan for this thread - I guess I was primed by earlier threads here about that topic (I subscribe to the idea that right/wrong and good/evil do not require religion).

Some religions I have read about do not believe in evil as an extant concept - evil is seen as the absence of good, as nothingness.

I also actually think of evil primarily as the void of goodness! I used to think that goodness could basically be translated to that which is healthy or makes one healthy, but I think it encompasses a great deal more now.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2008, 11:12 pm

nominalist wrote:
IMO, good and evil are nothing more than words to describe one's values.
So I guess that means you truly are a nominalist, Nominalist!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Feb 2008, 11:22 pm

nominalist seems to know what hes talking about dude

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2008, 11:40 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
So I guess that means you truly are a nominalist, Nominalist!

lol. Yep.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

celtic_silver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2008, 4:19 am

I don't see very many things as being all good or bad. People I never see as completely one nor the other. Every person is capable of making their own decisions after all...

Here's my basic reasoning. (Bear in mind it's not the easiest sort of thing for me to describe)
Every action has direct consequences either positive or negative, or even both at times. Now most if not all of these 'consequences' would have further ripples affecting other things. An event may have many things happen as a result of this, BUT it's almost guaranteed to have some sort of good things happen as a result as well as some evil things.

Just as people react quite differently to the same stimuli at times. It's still their choice what action they take, BUT it can be greatly influenced by external factors at times.

Oh and then there's perception. To put it simply, different groups of people may perceive different things as either good or evil. Like cannibalism might not be seen as evil to people with cannibalistic traditions, yet it would seem tremendously evil to others. And some may see the mass killing of another race as not being evil neither. And this does include educated people...

And then look at those who are psychopathic. Good and Evil may be seen as completely different things to these people. Not necessarily a bad thing, but once again, it's a different way of perceiving things.

A definition by words is merely a means to deceive oneself. It's meaningless before the truth. What matters is how you perceive things. The slightest shift, then life and death no longer have any meaning.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 11:05 am

Good and Evil can best be described by:

In my opinion. One doesn't exist without the other.