Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

belive in "god" not religion?
I agree. i belive in god and not religion 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
I can see what your saying, but ill stick to my religion 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
I dont understand how you can have faith in god without conforming 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
I agree, but i still gain influence from one or more religions 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 22

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 2:59 am

sorry if i offend anyone, this is just a view of mine i wanted to get of my chest.

Why do religious people always talk about god? religious people do not believe in god, im sorry but its true, people who follow religion do not have any form of faith or spirituality, you worship books and follow the views/ideas of people. you can say "oh but i belive this book is the word of god and therefore.." blah blah blah, but its still a book that you worship/follow. i believe in god but religion dosent make any sense to me, if your going to have faith in god have faith in god, not religion.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 3:29 am

I think most people who follow a religion are trying to follow God. Some people get so hung up on gaming the rules that they lose their way, even with their minister trying to help them. Some ministers lose their way from being hung up on denominational rules and regs and take the congregation with them. Church is a social setting, not a religious one.

Relationships vary a lot, too. When do two children have exactly the same relationship with a parent? No two people have the same relationship with God, yet the Bible- or Koran-thumpers act like anyone with a different relationship than they do is disrespectful to God. Okay, take a gingerbread man cookie cutter and cut a five-point star with one press into the dough.

I don't go to church because I don't need ministers or thumpers or well-meaning intolerants telling me about God. He tells me what I need to know as I'm able to take it in. And I sure don't need the socializing tasks.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Mar 2008, 9:44 am

i take a simmilar view with this "I agree. i belive in god and not religion" first of all religion stinks too much of being man made. everyones religion so far is terrible from what i can see, i also accept the fact that maybe i dont know enough about everyones religion to give it a fair shake

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 11:18 am

That's a confusing question because I see some truth into many religions but put I tend to put more faith in God as we understood him.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 3:39 pm

There's a distinction between God-given rules and human tradition. I try to follow the laws He gave for my own benefit (e.g. Biblical kosher, Sermon on the mount, beard sometimes, etc.) but so that I wont weird people out I don't question the food at meetings, sometimes shave if no one else at Church has a beard at that time, etc. I do find human traditions annoying and irrelevant in an absolute sense, but I try to respect what others believe because it is what they're used to and I do not wish to be singled out for stupid reasons (like disagreeing with people on which day the Sabbath is on. I think Jewish people would actually keep track of it because the Torah is their life, whereas Christianity takes a haphazard approach to God's social laws and has arbitrarily defined Sun-day as the Sabbath.)

I think fellowship with fellow believers is highly important. Certainly for at least some of the time. Listening to a pastor lecture for an hour on something you already know may not be much, but having conversation /discussion /debate with people of like mind has always been rewarding. WP is its own Church in this sense and I know some people are very religious in their attendance :wink: (myself included :oops: )

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Mar 2008, 4:35 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
There's a distinction between God-given rules and human tradition.
i somewhat agree but need god to tell me for himself, and not through hersay or eyewitness accounts on his divine revelations

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 4:41 pm

richardbenson wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
There's a distinction between God-given rules and human tradition.
i somewhat agree but need god to tell me for himself, and not through hersay or eyewitness accounts on his divine revelations

I can read through other people's notes on a chemical reaction without having to run it myself. It would be nice to do them personally (microchemistry is boring if you like BIG results) but I can still place some confidence on other people's observations.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Mar 2008, 4:55 pm

such bravery is trusting another mans words :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 5:02 pm

I think the world religions are good for getting you exposed to various ideas and slants, as for how you get to know God I think your best off pooling what makes sense and going at it from there - the number of people who wish to join the dogma just to conform, I think, will always be there so I don't see religion as we know it unraveling or becoming too much of a scarcity anytime soon.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 5:21 pm

I dislike establishment in general. There are so many diverging views on the nature of the divine. How do I know which view is correct? Is any view correct? How do I know that the meaning in religious text hasn't become lost in translation or tampered with over time?

I can never truly understand another's experiences, as they can't truly understand mine. We can try to imagine how such events transpired, but each of us will have a different interpretation. You can't base your life on another's experiences - you need some of your own.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I can read through other people's notes on a chemical reaction without having to run it myself. It would be nice to do them personally (microchemistry is boring if you like BIG results) but I can still place some confidence on other people's observations.

I can trust quantitative data, because I can see how it is done. You can't attach numbers and variables to personal experience - no one will truly understand such an experience except for those who were present.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Mar 2008, 5:55 pm

DejaQ wrote:
I can trust quantitative data, because I can see how it is done. You can't attach numbers and variables to personal experience - no one will truly understand such an experience except for those who were present.
:star: :pirat:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 6:22 pm

I don't believe in any organized religion, any of their holy books or gods. I'm not totally atheist either. I don't know what I believe in. :?

UtukXul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2008, 6:59 pm

My religion is that of self experience rather than human based teachings. So Ill stick to my own thanks.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2008, 7:18 pm

DejaQ wrote:
You can't base your life on another's experiences - you need some of your own.

I have my own and they confirm certain other's. Appeal to ignorance doesn't appeal to me. Just because there are a lot of options doesn't make them all equal.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 8:59 pm

i honestly didn't think anyone would actually vote for "I dont understand how you can have faith in god without conforming" but its got 2 votes lol *shrugs* that's what i get for thinking.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 10:24 pm

As a Christian I believe in God and Jesus yet I don't like the politics. Organized religion is a man-made thing, of course.

As such it is really polluted with confusion, fear, hatred. I don't think it's realistic to expect we'll ever have what was lost during the metaphorical fall of mankind. God is perfect and human beings are screwups. As screwups, we'll never get it right unless God helps us.

The thing that seperate us from the divine is human nature itself. :(