Yet more data showing conservatives happier than libs

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 1:12 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354424,00.html

Join us, liberals, and be happy! It's not too late! :)

Last edited by Ragtime on 07 May 2008, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 1:14 pm

We have empirical evidence, folks! Ignorance is bliss!

Couldn't resist. :wink:

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 1:26 pm

It's because liberals believe that the way to fix problems is largely to sit there and worry about them,
or else to lash out blindly at the peak of emotion.
They think they're being "fair" by being and staying depressed about inequality.
Whereas, conservatives say, "Ya know what? Let's help those we can, and move on with our lives."
But libs believe dwelling in misery is the way to betterment.

But that's just it: Their idea of betterment isn't betterment at all -- it's just "fairness".
And their version of fairness is that, if you're doing better than someone else, then "Shame on you!"
If you're happier than someone else, "Shame on you! Don't you know there are
starving children in China?!?! !! How DARE you be happy with your life!! ! Be sad like us,
and all will be right with the world one day! <playing of Smurf theme> La-la-la-la-la-la-la!"

Last edited by Ragtime on 07 May 2008, 2:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 1:39 pm

I'm a conservative in the sense of the word. I believe in traditional values and roles. I'm fine with my life. Neither too happy, nor too sad. I'm pretty content with everything.

About equality: There will always be inequality. Help each other by giving them what they need to survive and advance, not just survive.

I notice too many liberals are moody, especially liberal women. Going out, getting drunk, being promiscuous, and getting an abortion isn't a recipe for happiness in my opinion.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 4:02 pm

Those who have a strong moral conscience do tend to have higher than average levels of anxiety. The "study" just points out the obvious, though: people who are more bothered by social inequalities are more likely to want to solve them. All the "study" shows is that liberals tend to have a stronger moral conscience.

Ragtime, your constant bashing on liberals got old a long time ago. Pull your head out of your ass, and show a little more respect, you partisan jackass.

And by the way, I'm registered independent, and I've got a few criteria on which I'd take John McCain seriously in the general election. I'm not partisan, you as*hole. I don't even necessarily hate the right-wing. I just hate the slime that congregates at its fringes. Specifically, vermin like you.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 4:32 pm

Griff wrote:
And by the way, I'm registered independent, and I've got a few criteria on which I'd take John McCain seriously in the general election. I'm not partisan, you as*hole. I don't even necessarily hate the right-wing. I just hate the slime that congregates at its fringes. Specifically, vermin like you.

Frankly, Obama is sounding better and better given McCain giving himself more and more to the supply sider crowd, and the fact that Hilary and McCain have both jumped on the ludicrous gas tax holiday idea, with Hilary even dismissing economists to promote the lunacy. I never have thought much of Hilary Clinton though so I am not surprised she said something that stupid.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 4:49 pm

Griff wrote:
Those who have a strong moral conscience do tend to have higher than average levels of anxiety.

To point out the obvious (as it apparently needs to be), conservatives don't lack moral conscience.
If that were true, every murderer would have voted Republican on a regular basis.
Conservatives simply have a clearer idea of where the lines should be drawn,
whereas liberals always go off half-cocked and with half-baked ideas.
Being liberal always means either one of two things:
1. Trying something that has never worked.
2. Trying something that has always failed.

And unfortunately, the first option is in the extreme minority.

Griff wrote:
Ragtime, your constant bashing on liberals got old a long time ago. Pull your head out of your ass, and show a little more respect, you wonderful person.

I don't bash liberals. What would be the point of that?
How can I convince someone to come over to my side if I bash him?
I bash liberalism, AKA short-sighted solutions.

Griff wrote:
And by the way, I'm registered independent, and I've got a few criteria on which I'd take John McCain seriously in the general election. I'm not partisan, you angel. I don't even necessarily hate the right-wing. I just hate the slime that congregates at its fringes. Specifically, articulate pundits like you.

John McCain is so messed up in his thinking, that Clinton is almost better.
Now THAT'S depressing!! ! :lol:

I'm for giving the Democrats McCain, and then drafting a Republican in his place. (A REAL Republican.)

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 5:03 pm

Yeah, yeah, I like Obama better, too, but, as a matter of principle, I have no permanent loyalty to the Democratic Party. I don't believe in party loyalties. I am STRICTLY anti-foundationalist. Period.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 5:19 pm

Conservative talk radio exists to manufacture outrage. All the very conservative people I know grumble constantly - taxes, some liberal did this, things aren't the way they used to be.

Here's the research conclusion on why conservatives are happier: "the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities."

If I believed that life was brutal, but that there were rewards waiting for me in heaven if I keep quiet and smile, I might be happier. If I believed that social or economic inequalities and injustices are unfortunate but will ultimately produce the best system possible, I would be happier.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 5:26 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Griff wrote:
Those who have a strong moral conscience do tend to have higher than average levels of anxiety.

To point out the obvious (as it apparently needs to be), conservatives don't lack moral conscience.
If that were true, every murderer would have voted Republican on a regular basis.

Quote:
I don't bash liberals.
Whoa...if I think about those statements for a while, I start seeing things. Trippy. You are a kangaroo.

Quote:
John McCain is so messed up in his thinking, that Clinton is almost better.
How ironic. If Hillary Clinton is nominated, I'm either voting for McCain or staying home come November. When I told this to my boyfriend, he about fell out of his seat. He still doesn't realize that I'm completely serious.

Last edited by Griff on 07 May 2008, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 5:26 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Griff wrote:
Ragtime, your constant bashing on liberals got old a long time ago. Pull your head out of your ass, and show a little more respect, you wonderful person.

I don't bash liberals. What would be the point of that?
How can I convince someone to come over to my side if I bash him?
I bash liberalism, AKA short-sighted solutions.

Just yesterday, you were bashing liberals through and through:

Ragtime wrote:
A true liberal wakes up each day with a blank state in his memory. He's not really sure what worked
yesterday, or yesteryear; he just knows he likes pleasure. Preferably, the quickest success that seems possible.
He's not interested in investigating whether the short-'n-easy paths are necessarily the best ones;
he wants to do them, and he wants to do them now. Open-minded, patient research is something completely foreign
to a liberal. They're like children.

Ragtime wrote:
So, to put it more simply for you, a liberal is an ignoramus who believes he is wise.
He believes he knows more about issues than those more experienced than himself.

Your a fool AND a liar!

Last edited by monty on 07 May 2008, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 5:29 pm

And, by the way, I do think that foundationalists tend to have weak character.

Escuerd
Raven
Raven

07 May 2008, 5:38 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Griff wrote:

That would be true if one asserted that all people who lack moral conscience are Republicans. But it could be a necessary condition (not that I think it is) without being a sufficient one.

But then, Griff didn't seem to indicate that conservatives actually lack a conscience, just that for people who have a strong one are more likely to be liberal. I.e., it wasn't a categorical remark, but one concerning tendencies.

Ragtime wrote:
Being liberal always means either one of two things:
1. Trying something that has never worked.
2. Trying something that has always failed.

That's a much better example of a categorical remark.

Isn't number two already covered under number one?

Escuerd
Raven
Raven

07 May 2008, 5:46 pm

monty wrote:
Conservative talk radio exists to manufacture outrage. All the very conservative people I know grumble constantly - taxes, some liberal did this, things aren't the way they used to be.

There are definitely lots of outrage junkies with all sorts of political stripes. Hell, the internet is full of them.

monty wrote:
Here's the research conclusion on why conservatives are happier: "the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities."

What if causality ran the other way?

Though it doesn't always mean that in modern context, the term "conservatism" loosely refers to a desire to maintain the status quo. If that's at all correlated with conservatism today, then maybe happy people are more likely to appreciate the status quo than unhappy people, thus making them more "conservative". That wouldn't be terribly surprising.

And, of course, there's the question of when the study was done and what the immediate status quo is. E.g. what ideology has more influence when the study is done? I'd imagine that if people like much of what's happening in their country that this would raise their happiness to some degree.

That's not to discount the above, just to add another possibility to the mix.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 6:12 pm

monty wrote:

Conservative talk radio, like Rush, are not what I'd consider conservative or of having conservative ideals.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 7:44 pm

monty wrote:
Conservative talk radio exists to manufacture outrage.

In a sense, you're right. They attempt to wake people up to those who, through incompetence, are destroying the country.

monty wrote:
All the very conservative people I know grumble constantly - taxes, some liberal did this, things aren't the way they used to be.

Well, but the difference between them and libs is that they aren't upset with their own lives. They don't whine about their personal lives -- they take responsibility. Liberals gripe. Constantly. For someone else to stop making their lives miserable.

monty wrote:

That reasoning is definitely biased -- conservatives are happi-ER than liberals because libs make themselves miserable by wallowing in self-pity. It's not that conservatives are always happy, but that libs make themselves unhappy.