Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:23 pm

tell ur opinion. feel free to debate, but remember that not to be a dick to someone who has a dufferent opinion than u.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 9:31 pm

This goes in PPR, as it has nothing to do with autism.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:35 pm

Orwell wrote:
This goes in PPR, as it has nothing to do with autism.

opps, wrong section XD

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2008, 10:38 pm

Soooooo, who wants to start this flame war?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:41 pm

burnse22 wrote:

Meh. This has been rehashed enough times, and the election was long enough ago, that most of us don't really care enough anymore to make it a flame war. That said, I'm more or less of the opinion that all elections are bogus because they begin from a flawed premise. For that debate, head over to crackedpleasures' thread on alternatives to democracy.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm

Orwell wrote:
burnse22 wrote:

Meh. This has been rehashed enough times, and the election was long enough ago, that most of us don't really care enough anymore to make it a flame war. That said, I'm more or less of the opinion that all elections are bogus because they begin from a flawed premise. For that debate, head over to crackedpleasures' thread on alternatives to democracy.

i never really thought of it and wanted to know everyone's opinions. i just saw Recount on HBO so it intereated me.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:04 pm

Bush Sr started the flame war when he invaded Iraq. The Iraquis bombed the oil fields in Kuwait. And that is what the flame war was.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:10 pm

DiabloDave363 wrote:
i never really thought of it and wanted to know everyone's opinions. i just saw Recount on HBO so it intereated me.

In regards to whether that particular election was rigged, it was just too close and got to the point where normal customary irregularities that occur in every election became more significant. This drew attention to them and made them political issues, and then they happened to be resolved in a way that seemed to favor Bush. However, I believe CNN did an independent recount using the criteria that Gore had wanted and found that he still would not have won.

In any case, I don't much care and find the whole thing rather absurd. Something as minor as potential miscounting of ballots flips who our leader, with all of the power that goes with the office, is going to be? Such a system is patent nonsense.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 11:30 pm

Vote counting is not rocket science. If a small populated country like ours can get it right MANUALLY counting and scrutineering, even with the preferential system we have, then it stands to reason a country like the US with 10 times the number of electors (those that bother to vote, that is) should be able to get it right. And given the fact that your election campaign runs for more than 10 times the length of ours, how is it that such a fuck-up could take place? Incompetence? Ignorance? Or stubbornness?

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.