Whom do you like more, Jesus or Satan?
Jesus 53%  53%  [ 25 ]
Satan 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 47

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2008, 3:00 pm

You know, it is very interesting that in the Bible, both the Jewish and Christian portions, there aren't very many places where Satan speaks for himself. I can only think of three (the Garden of Eden, Job and the Temptations in the Wilderness) and only the last two clearly identify Satan as Satan (the serpent is merely the serpent). So Satan doesn't have a whole lot to say. On the contrary there is a lot said about Satan, none of it good. Meanwhile God is constantly going around trying to reassure people that they can trust him, not the other guy. Where I come from, that's the mark of a con artist, "trust me". People whose actions show that they can be trusted don't need to go around doing that, nor do they run down their opponents. Unless God is a politician in which case his actions would make sense, because that's what politicians do.

So Satan doesn't say much, just stands by while God runs him down. I think it is also interesting from a character-plot point of view that twice God created beings with free will, and twice they defied him. First was our old friend Lucifer/Satan, who in Christian theology was head of the angels and led a revolt against God. Second were Adam and Eve, who were conned by the snake and therefore responsible for all the miseries here on earth from that point on. Well, if things were so hunky-dory, why did Lucifer revolt? Why did Adam and Eve decide to try the fruit for themselves after listening to the serpent? Sounds like there might be something missing from this story . . .

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 4:16 pm

Lucifer revolted because he thought he was greater than God. Obviously he was not. Because of Lucifer's pride and ambition, he was cast out of Heaven. Later he became Satan, and the angels loyal to him became his horde of demons. You have it all turned around. Satan is the con artist, not God. Satan is the liar. God never lies.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:39 pm

I find this discussion about mythological beings that don't exist quite humorous. :lol:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 5:41 pm

DeanFoley wrote:
Neither are real.

But if we were to go with what common delusions *cough* I mean religion says, then Satan is the one who gave us morals and rational thought, while Jesus punished is for his bad planning.

Satan, please :roll: .

If neither are areal, why choose Satan? Why choose either of them if both are fiction?

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2008, 7:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:
DeanFoley wrote:
Neither are real.

But if we were to go with what common delusions *cough* I mean religion says, then Satan is the one who gave us morals and rational thought, while Jesus punished is for his bad planning.

Satan, please :roll: .

If neither are areal, why choose Satan? Why choose either of them if both are fiction?

To annoy evangelists.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2008, 8:21 pm

You've annoyed me, as well. Congrats.

Speckles
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2008, 9:16 pm

Meh, the other poll shows that Buddha beats them both hands down. Buddha FTW!